• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

What are your town’s links to Husker lore?

Boy 1968 was an impressive season for Fremont, for sure. 258 rushing yards per game, and 111.1 yards allowed on defense?

Run the ball, stop the run win the game.

That's crazy. You're welcome for the Frosty Anderson reminder! :Lol:

The tie with Scottsbluff was totally unexpected. We were unable to stop the screen & short passes to Frosty on the last drive. But it was a great game. Yep, your post definitely brought it to my recollection.

Last edited:
Columbus:

There are quite a few more than this that were on the roster but these are the guys who contributed (probably missed some).

Joe Blahak - threw the block for J.R. in game of the century.
Bill Kosch
Tom Heiser - later became team ortho MD for Huskers
Clete Pillen - owned the NU record for tackles in a game for a long time
Jim Pillen - recovered Billy Sims fumble on 3 yard line to preserve TO's first win over OU in '78
(Pillen bros were from a farm near Monroe which is 7 miles from Columbus, but we claim them)
Kelly Saafeld
Dan Steiner
Dan Pensick
Pat Englebert
Tim Carpenter
Cory Schlesinger - name says it all
Jesse Kosch

Coach Dan Young's brother Dick was one of my high school coaches.

It's been a long drought for any Columbus boys to make a mark in Lincoln.

Last edited:

Tom Osborne's last recruit Micah Kreikemeier was from my hometown West Point also Tom Ridder, Dave Ridder, and Anthony Ridder oh and Tanner Hass

Last edited:
From Minden

Football:
  • Chris Van Norman
  • Greg Jorgensen
  • John Nelson
  • Plus 4 others that played before 1960

Women's Basketball:
  • Taylor Kissinger

Tom Heiser - later became team ortho MD for Huskers.

His sister was my 4th grade teacher in Omaha at Laura Dodge elementary in 1972.

She was VERY attractive, even to 4th grade boys! When she told us that her brother was a Husker we went nuts. Those were the days.

Last edited:

His sister was my 4th grade teacher in Omaha at Laura Dodge elementary in 1972.

She was VERY attractive, even to 4th grade boys! When she told us that her brother was a Husker we went nuts. Those were the days.

His dad was my family's physician before he retired. Tom had a surfing accident in HI and was paralyzed but still practiced. Probably retired now.

Wahoo:
Steve Manstedt
Matt Turman
Noah Vedra (we'll see what impact)
Several walk-on's without major impact except on the scout team.

His dad was my family's physician before he retired. Tom had a surfing accident in HI and was paralyzed but still practiced. Probably retired now.

Yeah, that was tremendously sad, I do remember reading that he continued to practice after that. Great family for sure, I'll bet his dad was a terrific Dr.

Last edited:

Mike Tranmer, middle guard on the 1983 almost NC, was from my high school in Lyons. And Jeff Moran, a backup I-back in 1971-73, is from the town I've lived in the past 25 years, Huron, S.D.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back