• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

What are your town’s links to Husker lore?

Don't forget Erich Wiegert and Dan Anderson. Also Chip Bahe and maybe a few others from Bergan HS that I'm forgetting.

Hard to remember them all. Tom Vering went to Bergan. He played WLB in the mid-70s. Butch Hug is UNL's AAD for Facilities and Events. He graduated from Midland College in Fremont.

Last edited:

Malcolm, NE:
Larry Frost still has a few T&F records I think
Hayley Densberger, FR walk-on for VB is from there
Emily Cady, who starred for the WBB team went to Malcolm through Jr. High. She went to HS at Seward (small town politics)

That’s all I can think of

Off the top of my head: Larry Assante (went to my daughter's high school and was best friends with the neighbor's kid across the street from us) and De'Mornay Pierson-El.

I'm from Scottsbluff. Frosty Anderson was an All-State receiver from Scottsbluff for Coach Les Lee (my coach also). Frosty went to Lincoln and played for the Huskers in the early 70's.

Nearby, Jase Dean was from Bridgeport, 30 miles east.

Tom Osborne as a young child lived around Bridgeport. His father was a circuit preacher in Western NE back in the day.

Most of the west coast recruits flew over my hometown of Sidney NE>

Lot's of them probably drove right by on I-80 when they made the move to Lincoln as well. As a kid, did you work in a burger joint near a freeway exit? Or Cabela's maybe? :Lol:

Last edited:
From Manhattan?
Joe Augustyn. He's listed as being from Emporia in the recruiting archives, but he was originally from Manhattan. I think he went to school there through about freshman year in high school.

Aurora Area- some off the top of my head..

Jim Wanek- Guard graduated NU 1990 earned GTE/CoSIDA Academic All-American and Academic All-Big Eight honors in his final season as a Husker.

Tom Haas- High school athlete of year in 87. QB- lettered at NU in 90-91

Joe and Tyson Broekemeier- Joe the WR that walked on after baseball and Tyson the QB that never really seen the field.

Andrew Rodriguez- Honorable-Mention All-Big Ten Guard in 2013

Tom Osborne- Has a vacation cabin on his own private pond about 1/4 mile down the road. Don't see him much but a few waves off and on over the last few years.

Lot's of them probably drove right by on I-80 when they made the move to Lincoln as well. As a kid, did you work in a burger joint near a freeway exit? Or Cabela's maybe? :Lol:
No I lived there when Cabelas was just a building downtown. I lived on a farm growing up creating the burgers served in those burger joints LOL!

No I lived there when Cabelas was just a building downtown. I lived on a farm growing up creating the burgers served in those burger joints LOL!

:thumbsup: So you did REAL work, in other words. ;) I remember that building downtown, too - went there once for fishing gear. Before that, seems like Cabela's was in Dick Cabela's garage.

Did you play football for Sidney? Was that your helmet I broke a bone in my hand on in 1975? :Lol:

Last edited:

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back