• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Locked due to no posts in 60 days. Report 1st post if need unlocked What are the impications to other conferences? Specifically the Big 12?

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Impaler

Cake or Death?
15 Year Member
Simple question. Which conferences get poached. You would have to think the Big 12 may. If conferences are going 16, which is looking more and more real, what 4 viable teams are out there for the Pac 12? You would have to think they look at OU and UT again. If I'm the Big 12 I am trying to add furiously at this moment. Maybe BSU, maybe FSU talks heat up again? Clemson?

I could not care less about the Big 12. They can get some old Southwest Conference teams: SMU, Houston. they could get Colorado State, maybe Air Force. Boise State would be somewhat of a fit. Utah State. None of them are as good as what they lost, but hey, they ARE the Joneses.

If B1G goes to 16, I want Iowa State included...already natural rivalries in place.

With the TV money powerplay on the east coast I guess it's possible the B1G may look more at "programs" than "$$$." With Iowa already having a TV market in the B1G footprint though I don't think it looks good for ISU to the B1G.

I'm sure the other conferences consider this a shot across the bow. It might very well be a mad scramble coming in the not so distant future. Big 12 is only at 10 teams, correct? I can see them trying to take some ACC teams, although that is a hefty fine to pay.

It begs the question, which conference is more vulnerable (ACC or Big 12) or do they both survive?

We're assuming that this will be the mad dash to 16, what we think we know is that the Big East will likely lose Rutgers, and the ACC will probably grab Connecticut. The Big East will probably try to poach a couple more teams to get their conference championship back, maybe UMass, perhaps Buffalo? Really those are just WAGs though. I'm guessing that there will be Big East teams lining up at the door of the Big XII.

As for the PAC 12, I think they have more options than people think. Nevada and Hawai'i are both solid universities academically, and could be brought up if the PAC 12 felt absolutely compelled to make a move. Otherwise, there's not much of a reason not to ride it out at 12, nobody is going to poach any of their schools.

We're assuming that this will be the mad dash to 16, what we think we know is that the Big East will likely lose Rutgers, and the ACC will probably grab Connecticut. The Big East will probably try to poach a couple more teams to get their conference championship back, maybe UMass, perhaps Buffalo? Really those are just WAGs though. I'm guessing that there will be Big East teams lining up at the door of the Big XII.

As for the PAC 12, I think they have more options than people think. Nevada and Hawai'i are both solid universities academically, and could be brought up if the PAC 12 felt absolutely compelled to make a move. Otherwise, there's not much of a reason not to ride it out at 12, nobody is going to poach any of their schools.

From a football standpoint I don't think either Nevada or Hawai'i make much sense. BYU might be an option. Other than that, I think pilfering the Big 12 is their best option. I suppose there is a scenario out there where you have 5 superconferences.

isnt the big east the conference notre dame just semi-signed up with. wouldn't unraveling the big east leave notre dame hanging?

The Big 12 will push hard for Clemson and FSU. B1G will take one more ACC team to try to break the league apart in an attempt to make Notre Dame seek a conference home for all of their sports.

isnt the big east the conference notre dame just semi-signed up with. wouldn't unraveling the big east leave notre dame hanging?

No, they used to have some sports in the Big East but they just signed with the ACC for most all sports with the exception of football. Football will play against 5 ACC teams each year per the deal.

This is about breaking up the ACC in an attempt to form 4 super conferences and force Notre Dame to find a home. The B1G hopes that home will be with them. JMHO

IMHO it goes like this. The SEC and BIG each have 14 teams (BIG will be in 2014). The PAC 12 has only 12 right now. The ACC is losing teams regularly to the other conferences. I don't think the BIG stops at 14 and goes to 16. The SEC probably knows this and will find 2 more to get to 16 before the BIG. Why wouldn't they. If they choose the next 2 before the BIG then they can go after the better teams (Oklahoma, Texas, maybe Florida State, etc). If you are going to expand then why not get the best teams. The BIG settled (IMO) on Maryland and Rutgers. I think the next 2 they go after will have better clout and be of better caliber. The BIG 12 teams have choices to make. Oklahoma, Texas, TCU could look West to the PAC 12. The PAC 12 is going to have to start thinking about expanding or be left behind with weaker teams to add. A fourth choice for them might be Boise State. Thats 4 good teams they could add. The ACC will be a conference that the BIG and SEC will look to pilfer in order to force Notre Dame to make a decision. They are definetely the PRIZE that each conference will be after. At some point this will be about having the best teams in your conference and not letting other conferences choose them before yours. The BIG 12 can go after some teams and also expand, but right now they would need to add 4 teams just to get to the BIG and SEC number of 14. Where they get them I have no idea. Maybe take some ACC teams maybe Mountain West. They are the conference most likely to get left behind without any action and soon. Thus the Super Conferences will start to unfold.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back