• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Weirdest losses

Weirdest losses in Husker history

• 92 ISU

Votes: 19 29.2%
  • 96 ASU

Votes: 7 10.8%
  • 78 Mizzou

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 2009 ISU

Votes: 39 60.0%

• Total voters

The year prior Joe Daley would have taken off and run. Callahan and his band of merry men told that kid not to run. If I remember right is that the game game Matt Herian (spelling) blew out his knee and never really played again?

If only it was a blown out knee. It was a compound spiral fracture, ruining his career. He's one of my all time "what might have been" players. He had a huge career at NU and the NFL in front of him until the injury.

This thread is making me feel ill.

ill-feeling-5342.jpg

Where is the Syracuse 1984 button?

Excellent point. That one rivals 92 ISU.

I think the context matters in this question. 09 ISU was a weird way to lose, but not nearly as weird in the big picture.

ISU 92 and Syracuse 84 were stunning suffocations of TO’s offense by teams not even close to the same talent. Defense wasn’t terrible in either, I don’t think, but still gave up a few weird things (78 yd run to Seiler, for example???. Seiler was no Clayton Thorson, y’all.)

Both surreal, incomprehensible losses.

If only it was a blown out knee. It was a compound spiral fracture, ruining his career. He's one of my all time "what might have been" players. He had a huge career at NU and the NFL in front of him until the injury.
Sad deal. I remember he tried to come back but just couldn’t. He was supposed to be the transitional player between Solich’s offense and Callahan’s before he went to the NFL

I was at ‘92 ISU. That was the least emotional team I have ever seen live. An aging Bob Devaney had just declared them the greatest team ever. Even the ISU crowd didn’t believe it until the very end. It was probably 50% or more Nebraska fans anyway.

I’d like to know whether the entire team was out drinking the night before, or if they just believed the hype, but they acted like they just had to show up and sleepwalk and they’d win.

It wasn’t a fluke like ‘09, where any one non-mistake wins the game. I don’t know how to compare the two.

I was at ‘92 ISU. That was the least emotional team I have ever seen live. An aging Bob Devaney had just declared them the greatest team ever. Even the ISU crowd didn’t believe it until the very end. It was probably 50% or more Nebraska fans anyway.

I’d like to know whether the entire team was out drinking the night before, or if they just believed the hype, but they acted like they just had to show up and sleepwalk and they’d win.

It wasn’t a fluke like ‘09, where any one non-mistake wins the game. I don’t know how to compare the two.
Farmer Jake explained the reasons for the other losses. Ok You are correct here FLAS. I listened to this one on the radio and our guys didn’t fight back and just got pushed around. Every time we had 1st and 10 and the announcer said our running back got “stacked up” it was second and ten. Every time the ISU rb got “stacked up” on 1st and 10, it was second and 7. The line of scrimmage moved 2 to 3 yards every play. I do remember Parrella getting a sack to ice the game in our favor and the ref flagged him for a celebration, because JP stood up and raised his arms. Sometimes refs like to take part in upsets.

ASU had a great team in ‘96, but our last game the year before had been in Sun Devil stadium and went pretty well. Beating ASU like a drum in ‘95 helped with the overconfidence.
I voted for 2009 ISU. I believe our punt return team yielded ISU’s biggest offensive play. Crazy game.

Farmer Jake explained the reasons for the other losses. Ok You are correct here FLAS. I listened to this one on the radio and our guys didn’t fight back and just got pushed around. Every time we had 1st and 10 and the announcer said our running back got “stacked up” it was second and ten. Every time the ISU rb got “stacked up” on 1st and 10, it was second and 7. The line of scrimmage moved 2 to 3 yards every play. I do remember Parrella getting a sack to ice the game in our favor and the ref flagged him for a celebration, because JP stood up and raised his arms. Sometimes refs like to take part in upsets.

ASU had a great team in ‘96, but our last game the year before had been in Sun Devil stadium and went pretty well. Beating ASU like a drum in ‘95 helped with the overconfidence.
I voted for 2009 ISU. I believe our punt return team yielded ISU’s biggest offensive play. Crazy game.

I am trying to reconcile my memories of ISU 92 with your comments above. I did listen to it on the radio back in 1992, but also ended up watching the HuskerVideo tape at least once since. I think we were down 10-19 relatively early in the 4th quarter and were behind from late in the 2nd quarter. I don't recall a JP moment that would have iced the game in our favor, or was it just a key event that could have led to more points and much needed momentum?

True story. Sad. True.

Actually, the 2001 NU-CU game may qualify as the weirdest.

We never saw that ass kicking coming. We were still riding on a belief that we had spent the past 30 years as almost always a title contender -- and that would never end. No one would have ever believed the end of a long era of greatness started with that game -- and would continue for most of two decades (at least).

This brings up an interesting point. Not a fun one, but one that might be more specific with the 'decline'. The defense definitely went first in terms of talent. If you look back at wins and losses, even against ASU in 98 the D was stout. Ahead of the times. 8 guys on the LOS prior to the snap. Didn't matter if it was 4-3 or 3-4 or whatever. There was always a blitz, run or pass, LBs rushing and DL's dropping back. Take away the run and any semblance of a short passing game. QB's limited to 3 step drops and always got hit hard no matter what.

Yes, I know, we got shut out in 98. But the D held their own against a very good team. We recovered however in 99 offensively. We did not defensively. One could argue the opposite down the road and point to Pelini's good defenses and bad offenses. However, after Frank, Callahan changed things so dramatically that it's impossible to do a comparison. Even with an entire Offensive overhaul, the D can still remain strong, talented and well-prepared. It wasn't any of those things after 99/2000.

That game against Colorado marked the decline of the D. Unable to stop the run. Unable to impose will. D Line got blocked and LB's forced out of position. Totally exposed. We haven't recovered since. I do realize the Suh defense was pretty good and our anemic offense should have done more against Texass. But the defense sure lost a ton of talent quickly. That 2001 game also marks a time when we seriously got outcoached. We were blindsided by a running attack and a passing attack that was well thought out and well rehearsed. We were not prepared at all. Which also marked the end of our preparation standards in practice in my opinion. Surely we had the talent to not get gouged like that over and over again throughout the game. We lacked leadership on all levels defensively.

That 09 ISU game was just bizarre, weirdest game I've ever seen. The ASU and 92 ISU games, I just kept waiting for the Huskers to wake up, but they just never did. The 98 ASU team was much better than the 92 ISU team though, IMO.

I was at the Kansas/Colorado game in Lawrence the day we lost to ISU in '92. When they announced the final score of our game over the PA system there, it was easily the loudest and longest cheer at the stadium that day. :Bananalazy:

I think we are missing the 1986 Colorado game. We were 3rd ranked and undefeated. CU was 3-4 and had started the season 0-4. This was when mccartney had just started and they had been dwelling beaters. we had beaten them 18 years in a row. Nobody expected a loss and that NU team at the time was the highest scoring O in the country.
I listened to the game on the radio, because games like that weren on TV. Was to be a blowout. But it was in Folsom Field and it was from then on that the Cu program went up hill. Weird loss at the time and i was shocked literally

GET TICKETS

Back