• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Weirdest losses

Weirdest losses in Husker history

• 92 ISU

Votes: 19 29.2%
  • 96 ASU

Votes: 7 10.8%
  • 78 Mizzou

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 2009 ISU

Votes: 39 60.0%

• Total voters

Huskerthom

All Big 10
10 Year Member
Watching old videos and I was watching the 92 CU game. Man that team was loaded with talent. Parrella, Trev, Miles, All guys who may have been better than their counterparts on the 95 team. That got me thinking why they did not end up rated higher. Looked at the schedule and there it was the 92 ISU game. What a weird loss. Yes they also lost to Washington and Free shoe U. Those made sense to meas they were very good very talented teams.

So any way decided it was worth a poll. Just for the record. I excluded teams that we played in possible NC games like 83 Miami. I also excluded teams that were ranked equivalent or higher than us no matter how crazy like the Wiscy jet sweep disaster. So have fun.

If you have others and I can figure it out I will add them.

'92 Iowa State should be the only option in the poll.

The rest are so far behind that game as it was truly as fluky as fluky could ever be.

2009 ISU ... Bo had more than a few absolute clunkers to mediocre teams (a horrible Texas team in Lincoln in 2010 is another fine example -- UT team that finished with a losing record and was supposed to be our revenge game after the 0.1 sec). Anyhow, Bo sucked often enough that these losses happened.

1996 ASU -- That Arizona State team was very, very good -- top 5, 11-1.

1978 Missouri was also a good team. Finished the season in the top 15.

1992 ISU ... as mentioned, the only time Osborne ever lost to a team that finished the season with a losing record. That's what made Osborne great -- he ALWAYS beat the teams he was supposed to beat -- EXCEPT Iowa State in Ames in 1992. That game turned Marv Sellers into a legend. He was the ISU QB for that game -- the first college game he had ever started. He was a senior. That was ISU's last home game -- so the last time Sellers would ever have a shot to start a game in Ames. A true Rudy story, which included a crushing 78 yard run by Sellers. I remember listening to that game on the radio. But the whole time it was the feeling that this wasn't real, and eventually -- as happened every time with Osborne -- Nebraska would simply wake up and crush the Clones. It never happened. No loss more stunning. None.

Close the poll. There is no competition for that '92 game in Ames.

Last edited:

The rest are so far behind that game as it was truly as fluky as fluky could ever be.

2009 ISU ... Bo had more than a few absolute clunkers to mediocre teams (a horrible Texas team in Lincoln in 2010 is another fine example -- UT team that finished with a losing record and was supposed to be our revenge game after the 0.1 sec). Anyhow, Bo sucked often enough that these losses happened.

1992 ISU ... as mentioned, the only time Osborne ever lost to a team that finished the season with a losing record. That's what made Osborne great -- he ALWAYS beat the teams he was supposed to beat -- EXCEPT Iowa State in Ames in 1992. That game turned Marv Sellers into a legend. He was the ISU QB for that game -- the first college game he had ever started. He was a senior. That was ISU's last home game -- so the last time Sellers would ever have a shot to start a game in Ames. A true Rudy story, which included a crushing 78 yard run by Sellers. I remember listening to that game on the radio. But the whole time it was the feeling that this wasn't real, and eventually -- as happened every time with Osborne -- Nebraska would simply wake up and crush the Clones. It never happened. No loss more stunning. None.

On top of all of that, Nebraska had just come off of two dominating wins over ranked opponents (Colorado and Kansas). After a few disappointing years (by the standards of the time), excitement was extremely high. We had a new star QB, a revamped defense, etc.

That was a colossal egg we laid that day, and was completely out of character for Osborne's teams.

I had a Cpl working for me at the time from IA and he bet me on the game. I think I gave him 20 points. After it was over he said. "I couldn't explain it I just had a feeling."

The 92 ISU game was awful. I was listening to it as we drove from the sand hills to watch a semifinal game between Battle Creek and Wood River. It was Frost's last game as they were crushed 64-28 I believe.

The 2009 ISU game was so fluky. Iowas St only had like 140 yards of total offense in the game. Every time NU fumbled and then they went to replay I just kept saying they have got to get 1 of these back. Niles Paul fumbles on the 5 yard line and no one is around him.

Just a strange game.

Totally agree with this whole post. Except that Marv Sellers couldn’t hold a candle to Marv Seiler (sorry, had to). Who was a 3rd string QB. That’s also why that one wins.

I tend to agree. That ISU was shocking. HOWEVER, I think ASU, even though they were a good team, is worth a mention only because we finally reached the mountaintop with TO, we manhandled everybody who got on the field with us for the past few years, and were beginning to look invincible and then, WHAM, we get shutout.

Using the term "weirdest", it had to be 2009 ISU. I have never seen so many unforced errors.

The 1992 ISU can be explained by coming down from 2 highly emotional games the previous 2 weeks.

The 1978 Missouri game can be explained the same way, coming down after the first defeat of a Barry Switzer coached Oklahoma team.

I believe the 1996 ASU game can be explained by an over confident team. The team had just come off back-to-back as national champions. The defense was thought to be one of the best of all time in college football. At the game the previous week in Lincoln, I saw T-shirts with "You can't win if you can't score" printed on them. You never saw those T-shirts again after being shutout by ASU. 19-0 is a deeply humbling and ironic experience for a slightly arrogant bunch of players (although the defense didn't let the team down as much as the offense, my opinion).

As for weirdest, I have no explanation for the 2009 ISU game, other than weird.

Last edited:

Totally agree with this whole post. Except that Marv Sellers couldn’t hold a candle to Marv Seiler (sorry, had to). Who was a 3rd string QB. That’s also why that one wins.

Yep, my bad ... Seller not Sellers ... but same story .... last home game of his senior year ... never started a game ... and then led the Cyclones to possibly the biggest upset in their program's history.

Everything about that game defied all logic from the Osborne era, which was the most consistently good of any era for any coach in the history of college football.

GET TICKETS

Back