• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Weirdest losses

Weirdest losses in Husker history

• 92 ISU

Votes: 19 29.2%
  • 96 ASU

Votes: 7 10.8%
  • 78 Mizzou

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 2009 ISU

Votes: 39 60.0%

• Total voters

‘09 ISU game was my vote based on the list. 7 fumbles and 5 lost, hard to win in those circumstances. Two games that were not on the list that I still can’t believe they lost are 2004 Southern Miss and 2015 BYU. At least the 09 loss to ISU was against a conference opponent who had beaten them in the last decade. I remember how befuddled and confused everyone was as we walked out of the stadium that day, it doesn’t compare to the confusion as we walked out after the ‘05 So Miss and ‘15 BYU games

Last play (southern miss) Joe Dailey runs out of bounds. Not even an attempt.
This thread is reminding me how bad we’ve been the past 18 years.
I watched the 2000 season games recently on YouTube and talent level was headed out the door after watching the 97 and 99 games in comparison. Vanden bosch was a beast against northwestern. Crouch and Newcombe were highlight reels. But you could see Frank trying to overcome declines at most positions.

I'm a bit surprised more people thus far feel '09 loss to ISU was the weirdest. But I suppose that depends on your definition of weird. I also think there's a few who have voted who weren't old enough to fully grasp the '92 loss to Iowa State.

Of the four teams listed, '92 ISU was the only team that had a losing record. '

09 ISU had a winning record and played in a bowl game. '78 Missouri finished 14/15 in the two major polls. '96 Arizona State went undefeated in the regular season, only loss was by 3 to Ohio State in the Rose Bowl -- otherwise, ASU would have laid a claim as national champ.

Sure, I know how NU had to do literally everything wrong to lose that game in 2009. But I saw sloppy games and stupid errors too many times under Bo (and Callahan and Riley). There was a point last decade where I began to take keystone cops games like that as expected at times. But you never expected Osborne to lose a game to a really bad team -- starting a 3rd string senior QB who had never started a game in his college career. That was so completely out of the ordinary for anything else you saw in the entire Osborne era. An absolute gimme game. 25 years of never losing to a team with a losing record -- with that one exception in 1992 in Ames. But so many times from the 2001 NU-CU game to current times -- almost every season -- I witnessed crap shows like the 2009 NU-ISU game.

To me, weird is something completely unexpected and out of the norm under the coach. '92 ISU fits that bill unlike any other. Obviously, I'm in the minority.

I forgot 2005 S.Miss game. And 2017 N.Illinois. And BYU. And 2007 Ball State (barely escape). And McNeese (ditto). And on and on ........
05’ So Miss, that was back in the day, before I had my own tickets, when i went drove to Lincoln with a buddy and bought tickets on the street for every game. We hardly ever had to pay more then face value and never had tickets past the 10 yard line. That was the game that year we would each take one of kids, we got 4 West Club level tickets together for face on the south 40 yard line. Beautiful day, and awesome seats!! Huskers lost to a team that we never thought possible! Us adults left confused, our kids peppered us with questions the whole damn way home. Bill Callahan’s 2nd game as coach. In a transition year, Devaney-Osborne-Solich didn’t lose to a team like that. That’s when I knew times were different.

I watched the 2000 season games recently on YouTube and talent level was headed out the door after watching the 97 and 99 games in comparison. Vanden bosch was a beast against northwestern. Crouch and Newcombe were highlight reels. But you could see Frank trying to overcome declines at most positions.

Yep. That's how I feel. So many ugly, ugly games since NU-CU 2001, it's impossible for me to pick just one. It became expected, and therefore not all that weird. Nothing surprises me any more, unlike losing to an inferior opponent in the Osborne era -- those shocked the hell out of me. Weird left my vocabulary last decade.

Last edited:

The year prior Joe Daley would have taken off and run. Callahan and his band of merry men told that kid not to run. If I remember right is that the game game Matt Herian (spelling) blew out his knee and never really played again?

Yep. That's how I feel. So many ugly, ugly games since NU-CU 2001, it's impossible for me to pick just one. It became expected, and therefore not all that weird.

The weird ones from 2001 on where the games Nebraska played well whistle to whistle.

So weird in fact, I don't think I can name one other than the Holiday Bowl game against Arizona.

The weird ones from 2001 on where the games Nebraska played well whistle to whistle.

So weird in fact, I don't think I can name one other than the Holiday Bowl game against Arizona.

True story. Sad. True.

Actually, the 2001 NU-CU game may qualify as the weirdest.

We never saw that ass kicking coming. We were still riding on a belief that we had spent the past 30 years as almost always a title contender -- and that would never end. No one would have ever believed the end of a long era of greatness started with that game -- and would continue for most of two decades (at least).

Probably the second worst/biggest upset loss in the Osborne era. And I might rank that ahead of '78 Missouri, '96 ASU, and '09 ISU. Especially as we were coming off the Scoring Explosion '83 team -- and only scored 9 against Syracuse in the Carrier Dome.
Syracuse loss was definitely a surprise then but while still surprising not as bad when you think about. Yes they were coming out of the ‘83 scoring explosion yet the 3 skill players that scored most of those points were gone.

I was alive! but I was 1

I was at that game. I was 12.
‘09 ISU game was my vote based on the list. 7 fumbles and 5 lost, hard to win in those circumstances. Two games that were not on the list that I still can’t believe they lost are 2004 Southern Miss and 2015 BYU. At least the 09 loss to ISU was against a conference opponent who had beaten them in the last decade. I remember how befuddled and confused everyone was as we walked out of the stadium that day, it doesn’t compare to the confusion as we walked out after the ‘05 So Miss and ‘15 BYU games

I was also at all of these games. I think we are seeing a pattern. I am the common denominator, sorry.

To me, weird is something completely unexpected and out of the norm under the coach. '92 ISU fits that bill unlike any other. Obviously, I'm in the minority.

I get what you mean about wierd, but ISU 09 was surreal. The only think ISU did that was remotely good that day was recover footballs. They are both weird in different ways.

True story. Sad. True.

Actually, the 2001 NU-CU game may qualify as the weirdest.

We never saw that ass kicking coming. We were still riding on a belief that we had spent the past 30 years as almost always a title contender -- and that would never end. No one would have ever believed the end of a long era of greatness started with that game -- and would continue for most of two decades (at least).

I sure didn't see it coming.

Neither did Craig Bohl.

GET TICKETS

Back