• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Locked due to no posts in 60 days. Report 1st post if need unlocked Watson in the News (Texas Style)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Link? I certainly don't recall a slate of injuries to key players. Helu was our back all season. 2010 we had helu and taylor injured, as well as Crick, but 2009?

Then there was this gem:

http://www.huskermax.com/games/2009/texas09.html

and this one

http://www.huskermax.com/games/2009/vatech09.html

2009 was Watson's folly on full display. He couldn't do anything against a defense with a pulse.

So FLAS, you are a Boliever? TU vs Neb in 2009 was played with a qb that played hurt all year long. Where were you? You seem to conveniently forget TU was in the NC against Bama after they beat us in the waning second of our game. That game was a masterpiece of college football and we outplayed them for 59 minutes. Then Bo choked and had 2 critical penalties that changed the landscape. That game wasn't on Wats or the offense, it was on Bo. Did I say Roy Helu played injured in 2009 too? Burkhead was out 3 games with a foot injury? Could the offense play better sure they could but that doesnt mean what you insinuate.

The Va Tech game was the same thing, a Bo mistake in the last 4 minutes or so gave them the ball back. Not only that, but penalties penalties penalties cost them that game. Scapegoating Wats doesnt make up for the mistakes that HC Bo Pelini made.

Lee played the rest of the season hurt after the Va Tech game. He only got well with rest after the TU game to play a great game against Stoops Az in the Holiday Bowl. Then he had surgery to repair his throwing arm after the season.

Now on to 2010. Look where 3 of our 4 losses came after Martinez was hurt in the Missouri game. Bo cost us that season on his insistence of playing T mart, injured. Sound familiar from the year before and the this final year of T mart. tsk tsk you are going to have to do better if you want to scape goat Wats.

4 NFL teams are looking at Watson as OC. I believe the NFL teams are more objectively able look at an OC than you. Instead of blaming Watson for the offense, you also need to take a serious look at the HC Bo Pelini's willingness to play injured players.

http://www.cornnation.com/2010/2/9/1302003/how-much-did-zac-lees-injury

Last edited:

The injured player thing bothers me. I put that on Bo's NFL coaching background but it seems like most coaches do it. Don't understand it but I am not a coach.

The injured player thing bothers me. I put that on Bo's NFL coaching background but it seems like most coaches do it. Don't understand it but I am not a coach.

I believe I heard BO say Tommy Armstrong was injured prior to the PSU as well, ankle type. And yes, we should have more than one QB ready to play in every game.

If memory serves me right, when he fired Callahan, Os and Wats went recruiting together to keep the class together. It took special permission from the NCAA to do it,,Os recruiting.

I remember TO had to get recertified and permission as Bo was in Baton Rouge with the Tigers. I remember he sort of moved away from the Wake Forest coach as he wanted to bring his entire staff. Bo was amenable to having Wats continue to serve as the OC and TO liked that.

So FLAS, you are a Boliever? TU vs Neb in 2009 was played with a qb that played hurt all year long. Where were you? You seem to conveniently forget TU was in the NC against Bama after they beat us in the waning second of our game. That game was a masterpiece of college football and we outplayed them for 59 minutes. Then Bo choked and had 2 critical penalties that changed the landscape. That game wasn't on Wats or the offense, it was on Bo. Did I say Roy Helu played injured in 2009 too? Burkhead was out 3 games with a foot injury? Could the offense play better sure they could but that doesnt mean what you insinuate.

Lots of headscratchers in the post, but this is the strangest comment I've seen in a while.

That game was a masterpiece of college football and we outplayed them for 59 minutes. Then Bo choked and had 2 critical penalties that changed the landscape.

I was mad when Bo kicked the ball out of bounds. And I was FURIOUS when he ran out on the field and did that horse collar thing. :mad:

You guys are becoming a parody of yourselves.

Watson is a decent OC and a much better person.

His style/approach to offensive football is not the best, in my opinion, as it may have more upside when all the pieces in place, but it definitely has far more downside in general.

I think TO saw the value in a "smoother" transition where some of the staff was retained, and this approach facilitated the quick turnaround. Whether it ultimately held NU back in '09/'10 is highly debatable.

The Va Tech game was the same thing, a Bo mistake in the last 4 minutes or so gave them the ball back. Not only that, but penalties penalties penalties cost them that game. Scapegoating Wats doesnt make up for the mistakes that HC Bo Pelini made.

Lee played the rest of the season hurt after the Va Tech game. He only got well with rest after the TU game to play a great game against Stoops Az in the Holiday Bowl. Then he had surgery to repair his throwing arm after the season.

Now on to 2010. Look where 3 of our 4 losses came after Martinez was hurt in the Missouri game. Bo cost us that season on his insistence of playing T mart, injured. Sound familiar from the year before and the this final year of T mart. tsk tsk you are going to have to do better if you want to scape goat Wats.

4 NFL teams are looking at Watson as OC. I believe the NFL teams are more objectively able look at an OC than you. Instead of blaming Watson for the offense, you also need to take a serious look at the HC Bo Pelini's willingness to play injured players.

http://www.cornnation.com/2010/2/9/1302003/how-much-did-zac-lees-injury

Please cite any press other than the Texas-affiliated story referring to Watson's alleged NFL inquiries. That was one source, possibly Watson himself, and/or positioning if Strong strikes out on all of his OC choices. I'm not sure there's any actual truth to the "4 teams", if any of those are actual interviews or anything of substance. I haven't seen anything else published.

I couldn't remember when Lee was injured, which is why I was asking. (That was 5 years ago.) Who were all the other key injuries that season? You made it sound like we lost half the team, and i didn't see it that way. I did remember that Green started a couple of games and Lee generally played like crap at the end.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back