• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Walters out

This is clearly the point where our opinions diverge. You're basing his value as a DC mainly on 2 years at Nebraska, where he has yet to have enough components to put together a defense that could do much, and then you're fishing for data points from his time at UCF to back up your opinion. I look at his scheme (very good), his abilities to connect and communicate with his coaches and players (off the charts good), and how he makes adjustments to work with what he has and to change up as things go (not as high as the others, but very much above average, and this is the area that most readily improves with experience). I have a hunch that you're comparing him to a finished product, such as mid-90s Charlie McBride; I'm comparing him to any other DC who is his approximate age and experience, and only the most elite DCs were ahead of his development schedule as a coach. For example, Brent Venables was NOT a great DC until just a few years ago, but you could see the potential was there. Brent Venables was 41 when he was all but pushed out of Oklahoma and went to Clemson to start over; Chinander is 40 years old right now. Dave Aranda is an elite coach, but he wasn't always. He moved up more quickly by working at lesser programs before he went to Wisconsin in 2013 at age 37, and he struggled at first, too.

Give him time, and give him some better players, especially at LB, and your opinion will change. I've said it many times before, and I'll say it many times more: when he leaves Nebraska, it will be due to a promotion to something bigger, and the same people who are bemoaning his defenses now will be the most upset when he's gone.

Would you be interested in making a wager on this?
If I recall there were a lot of folks not happy with Charlie McBride when he first took over. Additionally if we had it to do over. Was Craig Bohl as bad as we thought. Yes he had a few bad years. He was also young and inexperienced. He sure learned and did one heck of a job at NDSU.
BTW for those who do not believe the fans were not always hip on Charlie.
“I just said to someone the other day, (the fans) tried to fire me for at least 20 of the 23 years,” McBride joked.
https://www.theindependent.com/spor...cle_9d1cf044-aaf5-11e7-a36e-9b2ee9295195.html

If I recall there were a lot of folks not happy with Charlie McBride when he first took over. Additionally if we had it to do over. Was Craig Bohl as bad as we thought. Yes he had a few bad years. He was also young and inexperienced. He sure learned and did one heck of a job at NDSU.
BTW for those who do not believe the fans were not always hip on Charlie. https://www.theindependent.com/spor...cle_9d1cf044-aaf5-11e7-a36e-9b2ee9295195.html
It's no lie that they wanted to fire him. It was continual, and for some fans it was continuous. Tom Osborne was apparently fighting mad during the '90 or '91 season because Nancy Osborne told him that McBride and George Darlington's wives had been in tears during games because fans were singling them out to tell them that their husbands were horrible coaches, and they needed to either poison their husbands or get them to move away and take a different job.

amazing how often better players make coaches (& play calls) look smarter... gotta keep upping our recruiting game.

Facility upgrades will help, same goes for tireless recruiting efforts by the staff - I'm encouraged by the recent staff adjustments.
Yup, ya gotta have quality players. They in turn, make for quality coaching. Been on that end of the stick..

Do we have an Oline? Or do we have a NOline? Do we have a QB ( with a capable O line ) that is able to even deliver the ball to well coached receiver's?

Without an Oline, or QB, it doesn't matter who your receiver's are, and/or who your receiver's coach is.

IMO

Last edited:
Do we have an Oline? Or do we have a NOline? Do we have a QB ( with a capable O line ) that is able to even deliver the ball to well coached receiver's?

Without an Oline, or QB, it doesn't matter who your receiver's are, and/or who your receiver's coach is.

IMO

OL played quite well after the Minnesota for the most part. QB had some moments, and we got a solid RB at that time as well. WR's seemed to be open at times, but blocking was sporadic, and while at least one key guy was hurt (Warner), the group disappeared for long stretches.

It's the OC's job to make sure the ball gets distributed and that routes and QB reads are in sync, and that were' able to run the fundamentals of the offense. When running in sync, Frost's offense is looking at what the D is doing (how many heads in the box?) and then running plays based on that -- For a variety of reasons, too often we didn't do those things last year. So it shouldn't be a huge surprise that going into year 3 we have a new OC

IMO
Without dominant line play, nothing else matters.

This is clearly the point where our opinions diverge. You're basing his value as a DC mainly on 2 years at Nebraska, where he has yet to have enough components to put together a defense that could do much, and then you're fishing for data points from his time at UCF to back up your opinion. I look at his scheme (very good), his abilities to connect and communicate with his coaches and players (off the charts good), and how he makes adjustments to work with what he has and to change up as things go (not as high as the others, but very much above average, and this is the area that most readily improves with experience). I have a hunch that you're comparing him to a finished product, such as mid-90s Charlie McBride; I'm comparing him to any other DC who is his approximate age and experience, and only the most elite DCs were ahead of his development schedule as a coach. For example, Brent Venables was NOT a great DC until just a few years ago, but you could see the potential was there. Brent Venables was 41 when he was all but pushed out of Oklahoma and went to Clemson to start over; Chinander is 40 years old right now. Dave Aranda is an elite coach, but he wasn't always. He moved up more quickly by working at lesser programs before he went to Wisconsin in 2013 at age 37, and he struggled at first, too.

Give him time, and give him some better players, especially at LB, and your opinion will change. I've said it many times before, and I'll say it many times more: when he leaves Nebraska, it will be due to a promotion to something bigger, and the same people who are bemoaning his defenses now will be the most upset when he's gone.
To be fair, I'm basing it on 4 years he has been head D coach. And I hope he does turn it around. NU absolutely needs a D that is in the top 10 in the nation, not just one that slows down our opponents offense IOT to allow our offense to out score everyone we play. He/we have a long way to go to get to a championship D that we will need. We need some difference makers on the D line line Suh and at linebacker like Ruud.

Last edited:

For those who don't know, ex-OC Walters was part of a 4-minute, 21-point comeback in '03 while with the Colts.

Last edited:
Not sure why all the love for Chin. I am still perplexed why we continued to run a 3-4 despite lacking LB and having more DL depth. But that's me. If Frost is calling the plays, I am not overly thrilled there. Our special teams were awful and nothing made me scratch my head more to see 22 put out there time and again.

It is time for our team to make that step forward, to play better, fundamental football. Most of us recognize we cannot beat teams like Ohio St and throw in Michigan (for the 9 games they play well a season) right now However, it is time for us to start taking it to the Minnesotas, Iowas and Wisconsins of this conference not to mention Purdue and Indiana. Frost now has almost 80 pct of the roster as his players. I am 100 percent convinced we have the right HC. I agree with most of the Asst Coaches. But it is time for the results to be shown on the field. Sound, fundamental football with some power mixed in with speed. The overwhelming fans that I know would take an 8 or 9 win team that is coached well, doesn't beat itself and makes the other team beat us.

Would you be interested in making a wager on this?
So much this!! But the anti-Chin folks will never give it up. I remember when we were calling for Mcbride's head.

Not sure why all the love for Chin. I am still perplexed why we continued to run a 3-4 despite lacking LB and having more DL depth. But that's me. If Frost is calling the plays, I am not overly thrilled there. Our special teams were awful and nothing made me scratch my head more to see 22 put out there time and again.

It is time for our team to make that step forward, to play better, fundamental football. Most of us recognize we cannot beat teams like Ohio St and throw in Michigan (for the 9 games they play well a season) right now However, it is time for us to start taking it to the Minnesotas, Iowas and Wisconsins of this conference not to mention Purdue and Indiana. Frost now has almost 80 pct of the roster as his players. I am 100 percent convinced we have the right HC. I agree with most of the Asst Coaches. But it is time for the results to be shown on the field. Sound, fundamental football with some power mixed in with speed. The overwhelming fans that I know would take an 8 or 9 win team that is coached well, doesn't beat itself and makes the other team beat us.

The bolded is a significant part of the problem. If a staff has only completed two seasons on the field and nearly 80% of the roster are guys they recruited it represents tremendous roster turnover. That can be good for the future. Bad for the short term. I think it's especially true at Nebraska because transition classes following coaching changes are typically pretty rough, which is now magnified by the new signing dates. So many of your commits are out of region that when the relationship with the previous staff is lost, they will likely end up elsewhere. You might get some great players in those classes but some of the talented guys who are still available may be so for a reason. An example of this is our RB class in our most recent transition class. Maurice Washington is still available, despite being a tremendous talent, because of qualification questions and character concerns. So we take a gamble on him and sign another kid who was committed to Vanderbilt as insurance. Fast forward to today and one is dismissed and the other had probably been committed to Vanderbilt instead of Tennessee or Auburn for a reason. He's no longer here either.

Things are going to look a lot better when our first two full classes under this staff are upperclassmen. A lot better.

You don't think lack of talent and desire, and the right culture have anything to do with this?

I think to ease any stress on you keyboard you simply copy and paste all of your last dozen or so rants similar to this. It's the same song, 'Chin sucks, Frost can't call plays that work, we just need to get back to basic football',, blah, blah, blah.

Apparently you are of the belief that every year we have weaknesses on the roster, we should simply make wholesale changes in an attempt to dance around deficiencies. I think that's beyond stupid, but I'm not a coach and it might actually be the wiser move. I find it odd that you decide your endorsement of the Head Coach is meaningful when you immediately follow that with fan's desires for 'some fundamental football', as if Frost isn't interested in stronger fundamentals. Couple that with needing to include the notion we need to be 'well coached', and I think you've made your feelings known.

Last edited:

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back