• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Vegas wins over-under

I see it this way ..

Oregon is 3rd nationally in number of returning starters (including the QB, for the first time in a while).

The Ducks brought in a head coach who runs an offense quite similar to Oregon's recent offenses. He'll run a system that fits the talent in place quite well -- with better all-around talent than he had at USF. This transition won't be that difficult.

The Ducks defense (or the entire team, for that matter) will have a difficult time being as bad as it was last season. I seriously doubt the Ducks will be worse in 2017 than they were in 2016 -- when we barely scraped by Oregon.

While I think Nebraska will improve significantly as the season progresses, having to play in a very difficult Eugene environment in the early-season will be a major chore, especially for an NU team that is overall less-experienced than Oregon.

Having been to a game in Eugene before I wouldn't call it a real difficult environment. I would't call it a Wisconsin or Penn St. type environment.

I guess I don't understand how you see instant improvement from an 4-8 Oregon team that is transitioning a whole staff yet only see significant improvement in Nebraska as the season progresses.

How many starters does Nebraska officially have coming back? I don't know. I know you certainly put a lot more stock in returning starters than I do. I think returning O-line starters is very important and I count NU as having 4 and if Conrad starts at Center that would mean everyone has starting experience.

I know Lee is not a returning starter, but having started 19 D1 games has got to count for something.

Returning starters at RB and WR is less important to me because the rotate them so much. Are Morgan and DPE considered returning starters?

TE is a worrisom group.

On defense Stolt and Freedom have starting experience on the line that is 67% starters back.

LB Young and Newby are returning starters, but Weber and Gifford have starts from the year before it is not like they are inexperienced.

Lots of experince coming back in the secondary.

I guess TE experience wise is a worry, but other than that I see a lot of experience.

Having been to a game in Eugene before I wouldn't call it a real difficult environment. I would't call it a Wisconsin or Penn St. type environment.

I guess I don't understand how you see instant improvement from an 4-8 Oregon team that is transitioning a whole staff yet only see significant improvement in Nebraska as the season progresses.

How many starters does Nebraska officially have coming back? I don't know. I know you certainly put a lot more stock in returning starters than I do. I think returning O-line starters is very important and I count NU as having 4 and if Conrad starts at Center that would mean everyone has starting experience.

I know Lee is not a returning starter, but having started 19 D1 games has got to count for something.

Returning starters at RB and WR is less important to me because the rotate them so much. Are Morgan and DPE considered returning starters?

TE is a worrisom group.

On defense Stolt and Freedom have starting experience on the line that is 67% starters back.

LB Young and Newby are returning starters, but Weber and Gifford have starts from the year before it is not like they are inexperienced.

Lots of experince coming back in the secondary.

I guess TE experience wise is a worry, but other than that I see a lot of experience.

There is absolutely no doubt Oregon has more returning experience than Nebraska. FWIW, they lost 3 starters on offense and 2 on defense. Sure, I understand it's not just about starts when it comes to experience. And certainly, that applies to Oregon as well -- as it's likely the majority of replacements for their handful of lost starters also played meaningful minutes in the past.

Regarding improvement -- I don't know what Oregon's improvement will be any more instantaneous than Nebraska's. But I do know Oregon has a lot more room to improve (as they were bad last season) than Nebraska does.

Regarding Tanner Lee ... yes, there is a definite benefit that he has started college games previously. He's certainly not as "green" as Patrick O'Brien would have been. There's value there. But he really hasn't played in many/any tough environments before. In 2015, he did start at Georgia Tech (certainly the most difficult road environment on his slate of starts), and he was 14 of 30 for 165 yards with a TD and an INT. And regardless, I highly doubt the Jackets fans were overly loud and energized with Tulane rolling into town. For that matter, I highly doubt he faced any truly raucous environments before.

By any measurement, Eugene has always been listed as one of the top 5-10 most difficult stadiums for the road team. Agree, Wisconsin and Penn State are up there as well. Eugene's Autzen Stadium has recorded the 4th loudest decibel level for any college football stadium. Yes, it's less than 60,000 -- but it's a perfect bowl and the fans get loud when there's a quality opponent in-town. Yes, when Tanner starts at Penn State, it will likely be at least as difficult of an environment -- if not more so. But at least this will be late-season, when he's got a lot more comfort under his belt. He hasn't played in most of two years. And getting greeted in Eugene in his second start will be a challenge. Doesn't mean he will crumble, but it also can't be discounted that it could be an issue (for the team as a whole).

That said, I'd take Lee over Tommy in a heart beat. That's not a question for me.

Do you really believe Nebraska will "handle" Oregon, as SoCal said in the post I quoted? That's what I was debating.

Last edited:
There is no reason to believe NU will "handle" Oregon. Records dont always tell the while story amd "4-8" tells a deceptive story about their takent level. Like HWM says...they have a lot more room for improvement than NU does and sometimes that improvement is rapid with a change of leadership.

I'm certainly not conceding that one by any stretch...but anyone who thinks nu is just going to show up amd waltz to a victory is either delusional or is planting seeds of discontent.

Last edited:

True, but if you can't beat perennial doormats, you should not be coaching at NU. A monkey can roll out of bed, and win 8 games at DONU. MR dealt with the aftereffects of the bunker mentality at NU post-Pelini, so I'll give him a pass on those games.

Pencil in those wins.

I wonder how long it will be before NU fans stop saying that? It's hard to believe people can believe it. A lot goes into running a successful program And not just any "monkey" can walk in and do it. Even at DONU.

I wonder how long it will be before NU fans stop saying that? It's hard to believe people can believe it. A lot goes into running a successful program And not just any "monkey" can walk in and do it. Even at DONU.

Exactly.

For that matter, the Big Ten as a whole has improved significantly as a football conference since we first joined.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back