• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Urban Meyer DONE

Ohio State has suffered 4 losing seasons in the past 68 years!

That would suggest there's little risk of them suddenly becoming another Rutgers regardless of who's picked for their new HC imo....... :rolleyes:

Ohio State will never fall to the recent Rutgers level, but it's not inconceivable that they could have a dip similar to what Michigan experienced under Hoke and RichRod.

Ohio State did go 6-7 (with a loss to NU) in their transition season between Tressel and Meyer, though those circumstances were a bit different.

Ohio State will never fall to the recent Rutgers level, but it's not inconceivable that they could have a dip similar to what Michigan experienced under Hoke and RichRod.

Ohio State did go 6-7 (with a loss to NU) in their transition season between Tressel and Meyer, though those circumstances were a bit different.
Jim Harbaugh just got an early Christmas present!

That's an amazing stat, isn't it? And before that they had Paul Brown for a couple years. I want to see them have some more losing seasons just to enjoy watching their fans melt down. They tend to never make risky hires. Urban Meyer doesn't fit their mold because they have traditionally had boring, defensive-minded, run-the-damn-ball kinds of coaches. Woody Hayes, Earle Bruce, John Cooper, Jim Tressel. If you have superior talent--and Columbus is in the middle of an amazing amount of football talent with little direct competition--those kinds of coaches will win a lot of games for you.
Agree 100%! You don't need to be a HOF coach to win lots of games at OSU. As a matter of fact IF any coach doesn't win a lot of games there they should be fired imo. What would someone like TO's record have been coaching all world talent at OSU for 25 years? Little Nicky is a heck of coach but without all world talent at Bama would he be celebrated as the second coming? Maybe yes and maybe no?

Bottom line OSU can afford to hire a less then renowned coach for a year and see how it plays out. The cupboard is well stocked for whoever is the next head honcho at OSU..........

Last edited:

I thought that Meyer would leave, but not for the reasons everyone else is stating. He is smart enough to know that his reign at the top of the conference was going to end soon with Scott Frost leading the Huskers. He probably thought he had 2-3 year, but it happened sooner than expected due to the scare the Big Red gave the Buckeyes this year.

Saban will also figure it out soon. Expect his retirement announcement around this time next year when Nebraska is selected as one of the 4 playoff teams. He doesn't want his legacy tarnished, either.

I almost feel bad for these guys, but it was really nice of Nebraska to give some other teams a shot over the last couple decades. Good folks, those Nebraskans, but it's time to reclaim our spot at the top.
chuga-frikken-Lug!!

Urb should go for the UCF job. Recruit Florida. No pressure to make the playoffs. Beat up on scrubs all season, make a NY6, repeat.

Meyer will come back as soon as the Notre Dame job opens up.

The connection makes some sense. Don't know if the Domers will knowingly go after a stained entity though. Could make for some interesting contradictions.

It sounds like the offensive coordinator Ryan Day will be / is named the new HC and not interim. Little surprised that they didn't go outside to try and find someone if this is true.

Please, please, please, please hire Mike Riley...….

I wish Urban the best, #3 in win percentage
All time, quite the feat! His teams were always well prepared and that kept him right at the top of the game with Saban. Good luck to him and I hope he has improved health and enjoys the future whatever it brings.

He's certainly not the most likable fellow, and probably had to have extra closet space installed in Columbus to store all the skeletons. But he was successful everywhere he went, I'll actually miss him as a foil.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back