• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Urban Meyer DONE

Yes, apparently that's the case.

Some logic to it, as Day coached the team during Urban's three-game suspension to start the season. Thus, there's already been a dress rehearsal.

Promoting Ryan Day is basically the same as OU did when promoting Lincoln Riley following Bob Stoop's retirement. Day is only 39, and is a Chip Kelly disciple. Regarding Bob Stoops, I guess that ends any speculation of OSU pursuing Stoops for the job. Otherwise, I can't think of any big names out there for the Buckeyes. And obviously, the promotion of Day is a better approach to maintaining the current staff, roster, and recruiting commits.
He has the resume. But that often doesn't mean anything. OSU has the juice to at least test the waters for a guy with both the resume AND a proven track record.

Day is a risk. And it wouldn't hurt my feelings at all if he falls flat on his face. In fact I'm rooting for it...except when they play michigan... that's just funny watching Harbaugh flail.

He has the resume. But that often doesn't mean anything. OSU has the juice to at least test the waters for a guy with both the resume AND a proven track record.

Day is a risk. And it wouldn't hurt my feelings at all if he falls flat on his face. In fact I'm rooting for it...except when they play michigan... that's just funny watching Harbaugh flail.

I suppose Ohio State is in position where they could go ahead and roll with Day for a season -- then cut him loose a year from now if there's any sign of struggles. I'm sure they'll have to sign him to a long-term deal, but with much less of a buyout than a proven coach.

Yes, one of the greater pleasures in life is watching Harbaugh fail -- or at least flail. Both is even better.

Last edited:

I suppose Ohio State is in position where they could go ahead and roll with Day for a season -- then cut him loose a year from now if there's any sign of struggles. I'm sure they'll have to sign him to a long-term deal, but with much less of a buyout than a proven coach.

Yes, one of the greater pleasures in life is watching Harbaugh fail -- or at least flail. Both is even better.
Probably the right choice considering continuity and all. Just thought they might take a quick look...maybe they did...

Naming Day head coach is a bit of a risk, but is it greater than introducing a new coach? Can he keep the machine humming? Lincoln Riley seems to be doing it thus far, but long term who knows.

Last edited:
It sounds like the offensive coordinator Ryan Day will be / is named the new HC and not interim. Little surprised that they didn't go outside to try and find someone if this is true.

The AD is hoping to keep that all-star staff together. He has successful former head coaches in co-OC Kevin Wilson and DC Greg Schiano. Larry Johnson (DL) is considered one of the best recruiters ever, especially at his position. The RBs coach is considered a top-level recruiter, too. I'm sure there are more, but that is just off the top of my head. Urban Meyer was a great recruiter, and part of that was that he hired assistants who were great recruiters.

I'd love to see all of the above leave OSU as soon as possible. OSU can continue to be a top 10 recruiting school, but I want to see Frost and Chinander pulling guys like Javontae Jean-Baptiste in the very near future.

Ohio State seemed destined to dominate the B1G as long as Urban was there. I suppose Day could turn out to be just as good, but I think they will take at least a small step back. Too much talent there for an immediate collapse, but my sense is that the B1G just became more competitive.

The AD is hoping to keep that all-star staff together. He has successful former head coaches in co-OC Kevin Wilson and DC Greg Schiano. Larry Johnson (DL) is considered one of the best recruiters ever, especially at his position. The RBs coach is considered a top-level recruiter, too. I'm sure there are more, but that is just off the top of my head. Urban Meyer was a great recruiter, and part of that was that he hired assistants who were great recruiters.

I'd love to see all of the above leave OSU as soon as possible. OSU can continue to be a top 10 recruiting school, but I want to see Frost and Chinander pulling guys like Javontae Jean-Baptiste in the very near future.

That all seems eerily similar to when FS took over from TO in trying to 'keep the band together'... Day may be a great coach, but got to believe tOSU will be on a downward trajectory for awhile anyway.

I can see Greg Schiano moving on, maybe back to the NFL as a DC. Maybe to some mid-major as a HC. I know he has some baggage that kept him from the Tennesee job, but someone may take a flyer on him. Don't know how long Larry Johnson is going to be there, just checked and he is 66, will be 67 before the start of next season. You know Kevin Wilson isn't going to want to be just a DC for the rest of his life.

Moving the top assistant up to the HC job only works out some of the time. Lincoln Riley is still playing with Big Game Bob's players essentially. He seems like he is going to be successful, but lets wait to year 4 before we know for sure. TO and JoPa are 2 big successes but there are plenty of others that didn't succeed.

It sounds like the offensive coordinator Ryan Day will be / is named the new HC and not interim. Little surprised that they didn't go outside to try and find someone if this is true.
They had a chance to test drive him for the first 3 games, he's familiar with all the support staff, and they with him, and if you look at what going outside has resulted in with several schools, I'd say keeping it in the family isn't a bad idea.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back