• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Locked due to no posts in 60 days. Report 1st post if need unlocked Updated Article: Mike Stoops interested in Nebraska defensive coordinator position

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have seen some discussion about who Carl might take with him to FAU? Wonder how much that plays into things with Stoops. I imagine he might have some assistants from his former staff he wants to bring with him and might want to see what's available for them on our staff after Carl raids it.

I have seen some discussion about who Carl might take with him to FAU? Wonder how much that plays into things with Stoops. I imagine he might have some assistants from his former staff he wants to bring with him and might want to see what's available for them on our staff after Carl raids it.

Good point

Who would want to leave NU for FAU? The odds for a better gig lie with the Huskers not being a DC for a doormat

By the time Iowa's DC retires (certainly sounds like he's fixing to), they will be too late to get in on the Stoops' prize.

I doubt that Stoops ever goes to Iowa for anything less that the HC position. The DC spot at Nebraska is a far more substantial job than the DC position at Iowa.

Seriously people, we have to stop thinking of the Hawkeyes as our football equal. They might be our academic big brother (for now) but they are certainly our football little sister. If we do hire Stoops it will be a positive sign that we are competing on the level with tOSU, Michigan, Oklahoma etc for assistants and hopefully recruits. If we want to live in this neighborhood on Saturday afternoons we've got to live in these neighborhoods in recruiting and paying assistants and in going after recruits.

Who would want to leave NU for FAU? The odds for a better gig lie with the Huskers not being a DC for a doormat

You go there if you got fired. Bo and Tom wanted Carl gone, that said he's still his brother, so Bo wanted to be sure he landed on his feet. That's the only reason this happened. EDIT: I didn't realize the context of your original post.

I would say that the only two positions that COULD be equal with the lower level assistant positions at Nebraska would be the FAU coordinator spots. Since this is true, we're only going to lose 1 or 2 assistants at the most. I think JPs job is bigger at N than it would be at FAU, I think Corey Raymond is not ready, Ross Els is a Carl guy he could go. On the offensive side there is no way we lose Cotton, Beck, Ron Brown and I don't see why Carl would pick any of the others to be his coordinator. All that's a long way to say that we might lose Els, which would actually be a bummer in my opinion.

Last edited:

My guess is whoever leaves, if any, is doing so because Bo is encouraging "wink, wink" them to go

Had the plan been to promote Papuchis all along I think we'd know about it by now. Seems like Bo is at least considering/interviewing bigger names doesn't it?

Actually, no. If it's Papuchis he can announce it anytime he wants. Nothing gained or lost from a timing standpoint.

Are you having an argument with yourself? I haven't seen anyone suggest they are our equal.

No, but it seemed like you were suggesting that Iowa could take him if their DC retired. I'm saying that Stoops is not going to take a DC position at Iowa, and I guess I might be a bit sensitive to this idea by Husker fans that Iowa is our "big rival" I think that implies equality and we should not be playing to their level.

I'm not going to pretend to know what Stoops wants, but Iowa is his alma mater and they pay a hefty amount for their coaches.

I actually believe our status as newcomers to the conference helps us. Many of the DC possibilities have either traditional Big 10 ties or regional ties (Ohio versus Michigan, etc). These potential coaches do not have the pressure of choosing sides between a rivalry they may have grown up with. With us they can choose a traditional football power, and not feel like they have completely abandoned any personal loyalties they had.

Sounds like Mike is dangling Nebraska as part of a negotiation. The question is whether it's with Nebraska or someone else. I say it's someone else.

If it were Nebraska, he'd already be hired.
We are used to being the 'carrot' for everyone so I don't get my hopes up anymore for this kind of stuff. Best of luck Stoops, whatever you decide.

The same reason a coach like Ross Els would leave Nebraska to be Carl Pelini's DC at FAU, is the same reason Carl Pelini is leaving Nebraska for FAU. It would be a 'next step' in their careers. Els would be a DC instead of a position coach, and if Pelini could coach FAU to a few 7-5 seasons, in 3-4 years he would be a 'hot' name for a BCS school (where Els could follow in hopes of shadowing Pelini's advancement). Its a typical step-up method for coaches:

1. Rising position coach takes Coordinator roll with lower-level school.
2. Promising Coordinator at lower-level school takes a position with BCS-level school.
3. Promising BCS Coordinator gets Head Coaching gig at MAC/Sun Belt school.
4. Promising MAC/Sun Belt coach gets shot at BCS school.

I'm not going to pretend to know what Stoops wants, but Iowa is his alma mater and they pay a hefty amount for their coaches.

Yeah, but his priority was some place he could win on a national stage, I know Iowa was in a BCS game more recently than us, but until they win a national title they are not as substantial a program as Nebraska.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back