• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Locked due to no posts in 60 days. Report 1st post if need unlocked Twitter and Recruiting (now known as: Thread of Misinformation)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Easiest schedule in 50 years? Not a chance. This year's schedule will end up stronger than 2004's, at least. In 2004 we played against one ranked opponent.
Well lets check shall we, I'll google up a college football SOS calculator and pick the first one listed, Congrove Computer rankings.....ok then here you go http://www.collegefootballpoll.com/current_congrove_rankings.html

2013 Nebraska #43 has a SOS of #63
2004 Nebraska #69 SOS of #23

I really don't believe in these SOS calculators so whatever but this one seems about right but it all depends on what MSU, Minnesota and UCLA do in there bowl games

Last edited:

You can't really use a generic SoS calculator for this. Especially not Congrove which explicitly says it takes a straight average of the opponents' power rankings. The reason that doesn't work is, for example, these two schedules are not the same:

12 opponents ranked about #70
6 opponents ranked about #20 and 6 opponents ranked about #120

Even though those two schedules average out the same in SoS terms -- that is Congrove says they're exactly the same difficulty! That's not accurate for Nebraska. The first schedule is way easier, a likely 12-0 season, whereas the second has six tough games that could go either way.

Both 2004 and 2007 get a boost under standard SoS calculations because we played elite teams (OU and USC), but that doesn't really measure the difficulty of the schedule. A better measure is counting the number of ranked teams, or maybe counting the number of teams with computer rankings around #1-40. 2013 will end up stronger than 2004 under these reasonable measures, I believe.

Last edited:
You can't really use a generic SoS calculator for this. Especially not Congrove which explicitly says it takes a straight average of the opponents' power rankings. The reason that doesn't work is, for example, these two schedules are not the same:

12 opponents ranked about #70
6 opponents ranked about #20 and 6 opponents ranked about #120

Even though those two schedules average out the same in SoS terms -- that is Congrove says they're exactly the same difficulty! That's not accurate for Nebraska. The first schedule is way easier, a likely 12-0 season, whereas the second has six tough games that could go either way.

Both 2004 and 2007 get a boost under standard SoS calculations because we played elite teams (OU and USC), but that doesn't really measure the difficulty of the schedule. A better measure is counting the number of ranked teams, or maybe counting the number of teams with computer rankings around #1-40. 2013 will end up stronger than 2004 under these reasonable measures, I believe.
Yes I know, I already showed how 2007 was tough by playing 4 Elite teams plus teams that now resemble Wyoming, Northwestern, Purdue, Illinois, sanctioned PSU and the rest of the weak schedules we face now. How weak this season is really depends on what MSU does in the Rose Bowl since they will be playing a team the "voters" and computers feel is equal. I look at the B1G and see 2 highly ranked teams which I feel probably deserve to be around #15 due to their strength of schedule in this weak conference. It will be interesting but considering MSU got beat by a Pitt beaten Notre Dame, it may get interesting.

If MSU clobbers Stanford and UCLA and Minney come out the same then yes this will be a tougher schedule than 04

And this post tells me everything I need to know, that you disagree with every single one of us in that stadium including both announcers, since you seem to have forgot, heres the call. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kQp1BwfNgiE

Like I said, being at the game and watching it transpire to that point of the game there was no doubt that J. Brown was going to sneak, I think Musberger even says something to the effect of " There is little doubt of whats going to happen here" and thats why it was a brilliant call to a wide open receiver. I will go as far as saying that even in all the Sooner magic I witnessed over several decades and the blowout losses to Miami and FSU all of which I attended in person, I had never felt we didn't have a chance to win but this time was different starting with the pep rally the night before where the Longhorn fans rocked the Dome like I've never seen. We attempted a " Husker....... Power" or two but the Texas fans would smother us out almost laughingly while we sat there in our Back to Back wardrobe. The entire feel of that dome before, during and after tells me you weren't there and if you were, might be the only person in the Stadium including the announcers that doubted 4th and inches was a no brainer

Well, if Brent Musburger and Gary Danielson think it's a no-brainer, then it must be.

Did you hear them say it was dangerous? Afterwards how it was gutsy? If he gets sacked, if the pass is incomplete, if the pass is intercepted, we're not even arguing this. We're universally saying what an idiot he is, and how he should have punted the ball away. Which is exactly my point - it's a "brilliant" call if it works. Pelini's fake punt would have been "brilliant" if it had worked. However, it still would have been a dumb call, just like Mackovic's decision.

Well, if Brent Musburger and Gary Danielson think it's a no-brainer, then it must be.

Did you hear them say it was dangerous? Afterwards how it was gutsy? If he gets sacked, if the pass is incomplete, if the pass is intercepted, we're not even arguing this. We're universally saying what an idiot he is, and how he should have punted the ball away. Which is exactly my point - it's a "brilliant" call if it works. Pelini's fake punt would have been "brilliant" if it had worked. However, it still would have been a dumb call, just like Mackovic's decision.

So I guess TO's decision to go for two in the '84 Orange Bowl when an extra point would have secured a national championship was a dumb call then, right?

So I guess TO's decision to go for two in the '84 Orange Bowl when an extra point would have secured a national championship was a dumb call then, right?

I'm going to give you a moment to think about the differences, because I'm guessing this was just a shoot-from-the-hip comment that you posted for the sake of being argumentative.

The only defense I'd give Makovic was that he probably didn't have anything to lose. Wasn't texas pretty disappointing that year? 5 losses or something? He may have figured he was going to get fired if he didn't win. NU was moving the ball decently in the second half. It was a crazy call no doubt. But I bet he wouldn't have done that if they were 10-2. Just a guess.

Like I said you're the only one who thinks it's dumb. Dangerous and dumb are the same thing? Had you been at the game you would know why Mushy and Danielson said " theres no doubt if it's 4th and inches, whats happening next"

Exactly, I was going to mention this but I figured I would get some long worn out excuse about how some have more integrity that others and Bla bla bla

Exactly, I was going to mention this but I figured I would get some long worn out excuse about how some have more integrity that others and Bla bla bla

You guys really don't see how different the two situations were?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back