• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Tourney Bracket Watch

BGRed

Blackshirt
20 Year Member
ESPN does a bracketology for the women's tournament. Hasn't been updated since Dec. 23rd; but, thought it might be interesting to stay aware of what the expert thinks.

Since I am a bracket nerd, I also dug around and found a computer ranking from Massey, then used that to build my own bracket "if the season ended today". Massey computer rankings have us ranked #42, so an 11-seed. Massey would have 10 B1G teams in the bracket.

I put us in the Greenville SC Region (tough road to the Sweet Sixteen, though). Slotted into the Mississippi State 1st/2nd round games in Starkville, MS. Matched up against #6 seed West Virginia, then would play Mississippi State if we'd win.

FWIW, Massey has Creighton ranked #33 (a #9 seed). I ended up slotting them against Iowa (a #8 seed) and then would face #1 seed Baylor in Waco.

Last edited:

Hey, I got a sticky thread!!

Updated bracket build after yesterday's win. Massey updates rankings every day based on games played, so this could easily change tomorrow. I'll see if I can find time to do an update after each of our games if there is interest in following this as the season progresses.

We moved up to #33 after the win, which improves us to a #9 seed.

I've slotted us into the Greensville SC Region this update.

First Round in Columbia SC (home #1 seed South Carolina).
#8 Oklahoma State vs. #9 Nebraska
#1 South Carolina vs. #16 NC Greensboro

Updating my own bracket build after last night's game. We've moved up to #30, which give us an 8-seed.

My new bracket has us playing in the Fort Wayne, Indiana region.

First round in Storrs, Connecticut:
#1 U Conn vs. #16 Robert Morris (U Conn lost last night and dropped to 4th overall in the Massey rankings).

#8 Nebraska vs. #9 Arizona State (not sure that they'd send Az State all the way across the country; but, the Massey rankings would put a lot of P12 teams in the bracket and I split them up)

FYI - Iowa's big upset of Maryland launched them up to a #6 seed, would now play in Chicago against Ok State in the first round, then Depaul in the second. We've beaten Iowa, so it's interesting that the ratings have us an an 8-seed and Iowa as a 6-seed. Just need to keep on winning... a victory AT Rutgers in the next game would be huge.

Coincidentally, ESPN updated their women's bracket this morning as well.

In the Greenville SC region (with overall #1 South Carolina)

FYI - Iowa's big upset of Maryland launched them up to a #6 seed, would now play in Chicago against Ok State in the first round, then Depaul in the second. We've beaten Iowa, so it's interesting that the ratings have us an an 8-seed and Iowa as a 6-seed. Just need to keep on winning... a victory AT Rutgers in the next game would be huge.

This'll make for a very interesting re-match with Iowa at their house Febr 6th! :nod:

Last edited:
Loss to Rutgers kept us basically at status quo in my own bracket build. Huskers dropped from an 8-seed to a 9-seed. The P12 and B1G are both looking very strong overall as they cannibalize each other.

I've now put us in the Portland Region; but, the top seed in that region ends up being UCLA because both Oregon schools lost over the weekend.

At Los Angeles (UCLA):
#9 Nebraska vs. #8 LSU
#1 UCLA vs. #16 CS Bakersfield

FWIW - Big Ten would now have 9 teams in:
#9 Indiana (2 OT loss to Iowa yesterday)
#18 Iowa
#19 Northwestern
#20 Maryland
#24 Rutgers
#34 Nebraska
#36 Purdue
#37 Ohio State
#43 Michigan

#52 Minnesota and #61 Michigan State just on the outside looking in.

Pac-12 would have four in the top ten and seven overall:
#4 UCLA
#5 Oregon
#7 Stanford
#8 Oregon State
#22 Arizona
#25 Arizona State
#33 Colorado

Last edited:

ESPN's Charlie Creme updated his brackets today as well. Has no Pac-12 team as a top seed, putting ESPN's home team U Conn as the #1 in the Portland region.

He did drop Nebraska from a #10 seed to an #11 seed, even though we are near the top in the B1G standings and have recently knocked off the latest media darling, Iowa, and played the other media darling, Rutgers, close.

He slotted us in the Fort Wayne, Indiana seed; but, we'd need to get through a couple of tough games in Mississippi to earn our way there:

If we get through those to make th Sweet Sixteen; it would likely be Stanford then Louisville, Indiana, or Kentucky

I wasn't really expecting a win over Maryland last night. An early 12-0 run by Maryland built a lead that stayed at 8-10 throughout most of the first 3 quarters. We actually had two chances to close the gap to 3 or 4 when trailing by 6 in Q3; but, just could not get over the hump and then faded badly late.

When I built a new bracket this morning, I think we may actually have landed in a better situation than my last bracket build even though we dropped to a #10 seed. I use consistent bracketing principles based on the S-curve...top sixteen overall seeds are slotted in the Regions based on overall rankings. Remaining teams are slotted into closest available site based on overall rankings.

Nebraska ended up with 1st/2nd round games in Raleigh, NC, which feed into the Greenville SC region.

Opening game would be Florida-Gulf Coast, who are having a good season and would be rated as a #7 seed. Seems winnable; we'd then get #2 seed NC State on their home floor (they are the 8th ranked team overall). If we'd get past that, we'd likely have Kentucky (or maybe Missouri State). So, avoiding all of the traditional powerhouse teams.

Last edited:
Good win yesterday over Michigan, bumping us to an 8-seed in my latest bracket build. My build process put us in the Greenville SC region, facing South Carolina if we get past Virginia Tech in the first round. If we somehow would get past that and into the sweet sixteen, the 4-seed is Princeton and the 5-seed is Arizona State playing cross-country. I'd like our chances at the Final Four IF (gigantic IF) we could shock South Carolina. NC State and Oregon State are the #2 and #3 seeds in the region.

Can't afford many more losses like last night the rest of the way. Win your home games, pick up some road wins and we'll stay in the mix. Massey ratings drop us from #32 to #41. The last at-large team is currently #44.

My quick and dirty bracket build puts us in the Dallas Region, starting out in Spokane. It would be an interesting road; but, again misses the big name programs if we pull some upsets. The Dallas Region has Baylor as the #1 seed, UCLA is the #2 seed in the region.

Took a little vacation and getting up to speed on recent results. Massey has us back up to a #10 seed (#40 overall). My quick pass puts us in the Portland Region, with first/second round games in Stanford. If we could upset Arkansas and Stanford, the Sweet Sixteen matchup looks very winable.

1580581281726.png

Even with the loss, Masssey has us hanging on and sitting as a #11 seed. My quick build didn't really change much, just dropped us from a #10 to an #11. The bracket build coincidentally left us in the Portland region. Also coinicidentally, Ohio State landed where we had been prior to yesterday's game.

1580740271483.png

Hope we can rebound from our two latest losses and regain some confidence with a strong finish to the season. Happily we won't play Rutgers or Maryland again (in the regular season).

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back