• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Tourney Bracket Watch

I guess we’ll see. Perhaps the competition is as bad as you say it is, but we certainly don’t deserve it at this point.

If you think they won't make the NIT, you're saying that there are 128 teams better (or more deserving or would bring in more revenue) than Nebraska in women's college basketball. Basically, any power conference team with a winning record is a lock.

Last edited:

If you think they won't make the NIT, you're saying that there are 128 teams better (or more deserving or more would bring in more revenue) than Nebraska in women's college basketball. Basically, any power conference team with a winning record is a lock.

Well, we beat Illinois so i guess we'll never know what would have happened had we not. Now I can't wait to hear how we're last 4 in or first out or whatever other delusional post you can muster.

Well, we beat Illinois so i guess we'll never know what would have happened had we not. Now I can't wait to hear how we're last 4 in or first out or whatever other delusional post you can muster.

Probably would need 2 wins to even sniff the NIT. This is all just delusion.

You've made it clear that you think these rankings are delusional; but, ESPN has 8 B1G teams in the NCAA tournament. We are team #9 in that list and are very close to being equals to some of those teams. I completely agree that our recent struggles mean we likely need to beat Indiana and get 2 tournament wins to even be considered at this point.

To be thinking we're not even in NIT territory is the same delusional thinking in the opposite direction, it shows that your ill will toward Eichorst is carrying forward and clouding your thoughts. Feel free to look for the 128 Division 1 women's basketball teams that you think would get the NCAA and NIT invites over Nebraska.

Exactly. That Is so far from bubble territory you can’t see it from there. With all the automatic qualifiers we would need to 30-40 places higher to even sniff a bid.

Well, I'm not here to get down on the women's team. And I really appreciate reading BGRed's work. But yes, I think it would take a borderline miracle (i.e. deep run in the conference tournament) for Nebraska to make the dance. NIT seems likely.

As I've mentioned, I agree that it will take a win at Indiana and a couple of conference tourney wins to get the invite. The NIT is a sure thing in my mind.
Having said that, Massey's ratings did move us back into the last spot in, just ahead of Creighton. The strength of the conference looks like a large factor in why we come out so well in this system. They have ten B1G teams among the top 46, including Northwestern at #6. And, remember that we have a win over a top 16 seed in Iowa. Conference strength also puts P12 teams among the top ten overall seeds. I'll build a new bracket using RPI later today, which I know is the more commonly used selection system.

1582463877725.png

Flawed approach by this service. The league is not that strong. RPI and the selection committee know that. But carry on and enjoy.

Flawed approach by this service. The league is not that strong. RPI and the selection committee know that. But carry on and enjoy.

ESPN puts 8 B1G teams into the tourney, so perhaps the league is actually strong and our struggles are partially due to the level of competition. Also, RPI has problems as well, which is why the men switched to the NET ratings.

Really, no one is forcing you to read this thread. Early in the season, the team was doing well and had good wins over Duke and Iowa. I thought it would be interesting to track the possibilities and there really aren't too many rating systems available for the women's game. My wife is an Iowa grad and I recall a conversation with her at the beginning of the season where I struggled to understand how 'the experts' were putting Iowa near the top of the conference after losing the national player of the year and two other key contributors, while also keeping Nebraska in the bottom half even though we lost almost nobody and had so many close losses last year. I really thought we were poised for a very good season and maybe a top four finish in the conference. I've been proven wrong.

You’re getting warmer. The “experts“ you cite actually follow recruiting and have a better feel for talent and coaching than statistical services. A precise reason Iowa was put in the top half despite such attrition was the knowledge that the league was not that tough this year (also because Iowa had a very good senior point guard). Despite NU returning virtually everyone, the same folks knew we lack a true point guard, are very slow and unathletic, and didn’t have much coming in from the freshman class. The home win against Duke, which was struggling at the time, wasn’t as big a win as some think. Getting blown out at home by an average Creighton team was a sign.

The postseason will tell if the league is really strong, as you say, or mediocre this year, as I say. Will Iowa, Northwestern, Indiana, or Ohio State make runs to the Sweet 16 or elite 8, or will all but Maryland make early exits. If we get a few teams past the round of 32, I‘ll gladly acknowledge I was wrong.

I do think there is a lot of parity—somewhat between 2-10 but clearly between 6-10, but I don’t mistake “parity” for good. I could be proven wrong in March, but I’ve closely watched women’s basketball for 40 years and I don’t think the league is as strong this year as it often is (now watch it get 4 teams in the sweet 16 since I‘m all exposed).

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back