• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

The Sobering Facts

If the AD had fired Bo and simply said the program was going to go in a different direction, I could fully agree with what you are saying. However, the arguments made for his firing here on HMax and other social media were things like: any coach can win 9 games, and 9 games was not significant because we played one more game per season than during Osborne’s tenure. It was definitely a paradigm shift after many years of one or two losses per game and several national title runs. Then, when the AD explained his rationale for firing Bo, it was about wins and losses and not about moving in another direction or other euphemisms for Bo’s antics. And let’s not forget the reality, if Bo was winning all his games, he would have been characterized as a fiery coach and his negative attributes would have been spun as positives.

So, I understand your point and agree that Bo’s personality didn’t help him. But the arguments made contemporaneously for his firing was his lack of ability to win “important” games. The personality thing was just as additional motivator since it’s easier to fire someone who is acting like a jerk.

(Tom Osborne used to point out that they are ALL important games, by the way.)
But when you never win certain games, TO almost left because of his okie record. No different trying to sell that to fans at the osu mich game.

But when you never win certain games, TO almost left because of his okie record. No different trying to sell that to fans at the osu mich game.
And if that’s what a fanbase wants to do, fixate on one or two games rather than the big picture, that’s ok. I just don’t think we should claim he was fired for his personality years later, seemingly arguing that the firing wasn’t motivated by unrealistic expectations in the aftermath of the retirement of a coaching legend. If OSU wants to fire a coach because he can’t beat Michigan, or vice versa, more power to them. They may have a more robust local recruiting base than we have. We will need to be smarter when we wish to gut our program. But for now, deciding whether to fire a 9 win coach is no longer a question plaguing the program.

And if that’s what a fanbase wants to do, fixate on one or two games rather than the big picture, that’s ok. I just don’t think we should claim he was fired for his personality years later, seemingly arguing that the firing wasn’t motivated by unrealistic expectations in the aftermath of the retirement of a coaching legend. If OSU wants to fire a coach because he can’t beat Michigan, or vice versa, more power to them. They may have a more robust local recruiting base than we have. We will need to be smarter when we wish to gut our program. But for now, deciding whether to fire a 9 win coach is no longer a question plaguing the program.
If thats the ceiling and if fans settle with nine wins, agreed. Now convince Michigan or osu fans of that.
IOW, do we want to be like Iowa or Michigan/osu?

If the AD had fired Bo and simply said the program was going to go in a different direction, I could fully agree with what you are saying. However, the arguments made for his firing here on HMax and other social media were things like: any coach can win 9 games, and 9 games was not significant because we played one more game per season than during Osborne’s tenure. It was definitely a paradigm shift after many years of one or two losses per game and several national title runs. Then, when the AD explained his rationale for firing Bo, it was about wins and losses and not about moving in another direction or other euphemisms for Bo’s antics. And let’s not forget the reality, if Bo was winning all his games, he would have been characterized as a fiery coach and his negative attributes would have been spun as positives.

So, I understand your point and agree that Bo’s personality didn’t help him. But the arguments made contemporaneously for his firing was his lack of ability to win “important” games. The personality thing was just as additional motivator since it’s easier to fire someone who is acting like a jerk.

(Tom Osborne used to point out that they are ALL important games, by the way.)
Athletic Directors fire coaches, not nameless, faceless social media accounts.

If thats the ceiling and if fans settle with nine wins, agreed. Now convince Michigan or osu fans of that.
IOW, do we want to be like Iowa or Michigan/osu?
Interesting premise. If I understand your suggestion, you are saying if we don’t fire 9 win coaches we end up like Iowa. On the flip side, If we act crazy like OSU or Michigan fans, we will end up top 10. Well, we followed that suggestion twice and we didn’t end up being like OSU, Michigan, or Iowa. Instead, we more closely resemble like 1980’s Kansas State. So clearly, being nutty may work for places like Michigan or OSU with plenty of recruits surrounding them. But in a more rural state like Nebraska, that strategy simply didn’t work.

Athletic Directors fire coaches, not nameless, faceless social media accounts.
Ha, that’s funny, ………. I mean silly. C’mon man. We are better than that. The question is WHY do athletic directors fire coaches? In our case, it was in large part because of the fanbase desire to fire the coach.

Besides, my original post that started this conversation was about my surprise at how hard fans worked to get 2 nine win coaches fired. I never suggested they themselves fired those coaches.

Interesting premise. If I understand your suggestion, you are saying if we don’t fire 9 win coaches we end up like Iowa. On the flip side, If we act crazy like OSU or Michigan fans, we will end up top 10. Well, we followed that suggestion twice and we didn’t end up being like OSU, Michigan, or Iowa. Instead, we more closely resemble like 1980’s Kansas State. So clearly, being nutty may work for places like Michigan or OSU with plenty of recruits surrounding them. But in a more rural state like Nebraska, that strategy simply didn’t work.
Thats not what I said, I said if thats all we end up with, is it enough?
I would also say, hiring Riley and Frost isn't the same as a Day or a Harbaugh.
We have operated on the cheap in the past, its cost us. I won't conflate a 9 win ceiling coach with the best we can get or do when there's better coaches out there.

Last edited:
Ha, that’s funny, ………. I mean silly. C’mon man. We are better than that. The question is WHY do athletic directors fire coaches? In our case, it was in large part because of the fanbase desire to fire the coach.

Besides, my original post that started this conversation was about my surprise at how hard fans worked to get 2 nine win coaches fired. I never suggested they themselves fired those coaches.
Eichorst fired Pelini because they didn't like each other. Plain and simple.

Thats not what I said, I said if thats all we end up with, is it enough?
I would also say, hiring Riley and Frost isn't the same as a Day or a Harbaugh.
We have operated on the cheap in the past, its cost us. I won't conflate a 9 win ceiling coach with the best we can get or do when there's better coaches out there.
Uh, that may not be what you meant, but it does seem like what you said; that we could either settle and be Iowa or fire successful coaches to try to mirror the success of Michigan or OSU.

To answer your question is 9 wins enough? I think probably so. If we never won less than 9 wins per year over an extended period, I think I would feel pretty good about it given the modern landscape of college football. But I will have to get back to you on that. 9 wins seems a long way off right now.

With 20/20 hindsight, it is true that the hiring of Frost didn’t work out. But at the time, it was a home run hire. And he wasn’t cheap at the time.

Eichorst fired Pelini because they didn't like each other. Plain and simple.
As I’ve said many times before, I wish the world was as simple to me as it seems to be to others. That situation was not plain and simple. The AD did not like Pelini, that is for certain. And the AD certainly enjoyed firing Pelini. But had Bo been undefeated, he would not have been fired, no matter how bad Eichorst hated him and desired to do so. So clearly the AD’s hate probably wasn’t the only factor. The team’s blow out losses to Wisconsin and other upper tier B1G teams was what paved the way for the firing because boosters were still high on the fumes of the 1990’s.

Uh, that may not be what you meant, but it does seem like what you said; that we could either settle and be Iowa or fire successful coaches to try to mirror the success of Michigan or OSU.

To answer your question is 9 wins enough? I think probably so. If we never won less than 9 wins per year over an extended period, I think I would feel pretty good about it given the modern landscape of college football. But I will have to get back to you on that. 9 wins seems a long way off right now.

With 20/20 hindsight, it is true that the hiring of Frost didn’t work out. But at the time, it was a home run hire. And he wasn’t cheap at the time.
Seeming and reality. Reality is exactly what I said and meant. How you interpret it is up to you, I'm just setting it straight is all.

If you would settle it makes sense on how you misread what I said. Now I get it, and is why I included Iowa, which also was one of the reasonings for a better coach. But we have everything we need for a better coach than a nine win coach, and imo its not enough.

I wasn't that impressed with his experience as a HC, as far as Frost goes, unfortunately he proved my worries right. As a OC, top notch, we saw what he could do with very little, his fault, and not that much D help.
I think we've moved into the bigs with MR, but just like with Frost its still show me, but unlike Frost , MR's track record is proven and he's won more games than any coach we've had, maybe elsewhere, but won more since Frank.
Now just so I'm not misread again, in a single season is my meaning.

Last edited:

Seeming and reality. Reality is exactly what I said and meant. How you interpret it is up to you, I'm just setting it straight is all.

If you would settle it makes sense on how you misread what I said. Now I get it, and is why I included Iowa, which also was one of the reasonings for a better coach. But we have everything we need for a better coach than a nine win coach, and imo its not enough.

I wasn't that impressed with his experience as a HC, as far as Frost goes, unfortunately he proved my worries right. As a OC, top notch, we saw what he could do with very little, his fault, and not that much D help.
I think we've moved into the bigs with MR, but just like with Frost its still show me, but unlike Frost , MR's track record is proven and he's won more games than any coach we've had, maybe elsewhere, but won more since Frank.
Now just so I'm not misread again, in a single season is my meaning.
Well, I guess there are two questions going forward,

(1) will MR win 9 games in a season while coaching at Nebraska, and

(2) if he does, and then continues to win 9 games every year for, let’s say 5 years, will there be pressure to fire him because he just can’t “get it done”?

During the Osborne era, patience prevailed. Will it prevail again.

But I’m getting ahead of the game here. We are a long way from sustained high level success and there are no guarantees we will get there any time soon.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back