• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

The Sobering Facts

So we have struggled and sucked the last 20 years, got it.
Not true

That IS the narrative as pushed by the national media and one that many Husker fans have surprisingly bought into, but it's just not true!

We have not 'sucked' for 20 years

The decline of Nebraska football just so happened to coincide nicely with the turn of the century, but we still managed to rank as the nation's 17th winningest program over the 1st 15 years of this century {2000 - 2014}

A far cry from where we were, but hardly 'sucking'

It's only over the last 9 years that Husker football has become a bona fide dumpster fire inside a train wreck gone off a cliff

2015 - 2023
Winning percentage = 40%
104th nationally

That said, 9 years of atrocious football is hardly 20 years of atrocious football

Steve Pedersen and Harvey Perlman?
...and the journey to mediocrity.

But unless you've been there, you can never fully appreciate the climb back into relevance.

Most of the current coaches and current players weren't around to 'enjoy' that journey. As Rhule said, "you can't put that on me."

As for the concept of "sobering reality" - why stay sober?

Last edited:

It’s a nice breakdown of data, but I don’t really think there’s a conclusion to draw. Since 2003 we haven’t done well? I feel like that’s already well established.
For what it's worth, the conclusion that I have drawn is this:

We threw away 42 years of history, tradition, stability, continuity, and culture
We dumped the very identity of the program

And the impetus?

A single .500 season sandwiched in between 2 ugly losses that derailed a national championship and 3 ugly losses that accompanied yet another double digit win season

It's mind blowing that a single blip - especially one that, in retrospect, hardly seems that bad - led to such a massive over reaction

Not true

That IS the narrative as pushed by the national media and one that many Husker fans have surprisingly bought into, but it's just not true!

We have not 'sucked' for 20 years

The decline of Nebraska football just so happened to coincide nicely with the turn of the century, but we still managed to rank as the nation's 17th winningest program over the 1st 15 years of this century {2000 - 2014}

A far cry from where we were, but hardly 'sucking'

It's only over the last 9 years that Husker football has become a bona fide dumpster fire inside a train wreck gone off a cliff

2015 - 2023
Winning percentage = 40%
104th nationally

That said, 9 years of atrocious football is hardly 20 years of atrocious football
There are many outsiders that could never wrap their heads around why we ever were what we were. Call them those suffering from pactwelveitis.
So then the narrative becomes, they're decent but not great, where that pactwelveitis finds it acceptable.
However, when we dared to aspire for more and fired Bo, the pactwelveitis prognosis was assured unto this day.
The fact others know better, and have said cfb is better with a strong Nebraska, they understand and aren't susceptible to pactwelveitis.

We can get back. We are in great position to do just that.

There are many outsiders that could never wrap their heads around why we ever were what we were. Call them those suffering from pactwelveitis.
So then the narrative becomes, they're decent but not great, where that pactwelveitis finds it acceptable.
However, when we dared to aspire for more and fired Bo, the pactwelveitis prognosis was assured unto this day.
The fact others know better, and have said cfb is better with a strong Nebraska, they understand and aren't susceptible to pactwelveitis.

We can get back. We are in great position to do just that.
I thought, for a long time, that if Frost can't restore Nebraska football then no one ever will

Had my rose colored {or should I say, scarlet colored} glasses on and refused to believe Scott had become more Duck than Husker - even though, he, himself, continued to let us know that this is, in fact, the case

At any rate, I have the utmost confidence that Matt Rhule is the perfect guy for the job and the future of Nebraska football is looking very bright indeed

I thought, for a long time, that if Frost can't restore Nebraska football then no one ever will

Had my rose colored {or should I say, scarlet colored} glasses on and refused to believe Scott had become more Duck than Husker - even though, he, himself, continued to let us know that this is, in fact, the case

At any rate, I have the utmost confidence that Matt Rhule is the perfect guy for the job and the future of Nebraska football is looking very bright indeed
SF had no true track record. He was more Jerry Faust than anything.
I hate to make these comparisons because there really isn't one.

We are currently in very good hands.

Then why post the “Sobering Facts?” :thumbsup:

Last edited:
Then why post the “Sobering Facts?” :thumbsup:
What bearing does the one have on the other?

Both statements are equally true:

Nebraska football suffered a tremendous decline over the last 20 years vs the previous 42 years
and
Matt Rhule is a great fit from whom I expect great things

SF had no true track record. He was more Jerry Faust than anything.
I hate to make these comparisons because there really isn't one.

We are currently in very good hands.
These are definitely “sobering facts”, but we really need to focus on the future! There are many positive things going on in Lincoln with MR and his staff! Reminiscing over the past is a downer, better days are ahead! With NIL and the changing collegiate landscape it is going to be tougher to become part of the “elite”! It can be done, but this is not 1962 with Devaney coming in as head coach! MR will bring N back, he just needs our support! GBR

These are definitely “sobering facts”, but we really need to focus on the future! There are many positive things going on in Lincoln with MR and his staff! Reminiscing over the past is a downer, better days are ahead! With NIL and the changing collegiate landscape it is going to be tougher to become part of the “elite”! It can be done, but this is not 1962 with Devaney coming in as head coach! MR will bring N back, he just needs our support! GBR
Its not a downer if you ignore certain things and haven't had your fill with other things.
I've had my fill, but even so names pop up I'd forgotten and gets me there too.
Todays players flip the script, and all sorts of names will be remembered, a true team effort, something, or the thing thats been missing imo.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back