• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

The Sobering Facts

Those two plus Shawn Eichorst, Bill Moos heck even TO (the AD) didn’t do a good enough job of selecting, developing, monitoring and assisting our coaching hires throughout their tenure
disagree. w/o him hiring pelini we would be like 80th......
you may not like pelini but he won games...

As I’ve said many times before, I wish the world was as simple to me as it seems to be to others. That situation was not plain and simple.
Occam's Razor.
The AD did not like Pelini, that is for certain. And the AD certainly enjoyed firing Pelini. But had Bo been undefeated, he would not have been fired, no matter how bad Eichorst hated him and desired to do so. So clearly the AD’s hate probably wasn’t the only factor. The team’s blow out losses to Wisconsin and other upper tier B1G teams was what paved the way for the firing because boosters were still high on the fumes of the 1990’s.
Now it's the boosters? I thought it was disgruntled fans "here on HMax and other social media."
You're right, if Bo had contended for B1G championships, he would not have been fired. But if Eichorst and Bo had gotten along, Bo would have kept his job winning 9 games.
I don't think it's blowout losses to the Wisconsins and Michigans, though that certainly doesn't help. It's losing seasons with losses to the likes of Georgia Southern, Northern Illinois, and Southern Mississippi that doom a coach.

Last edited:
disagree. w/o him hiring pelini we would be like 80th......
you may not like pelini but he won games...
Pelini had no HC experience whatsoever before NU. He wasn’t ready to be a HC. There were plenty of more experience options. He didn’t even have an offensive identity choosing to retain Watson from previous regime

TO went with the relatively known and cheap.

Well, I guess there are two questions going forward,

(1) will MR win 9 games in a season while coaching at Nebraska, and

(2) if he does, and then continues to win 9 games every year for, let’s say 5 years, will there be pressure to fire him because he just can’t “get it done”?

During the Osborne era, patience prevailed. Will it prevail again.

But I’m getting ahead of the game here. We are a long way from sustained high level success and there are no guarantees we will get there any time soon.
Many are calling for 8 regular season wins, nine with bowl win this year, so you're not alone. And many think ahead already as well.
After five years of the same ol same ol we'll have to see when we cross that bridge.
And to be truthful, even TO was somewhat stubborn, better on O, then on D. Thats an KF trait right there. I don't see MR being that stubborn and is around TOs age when TO started putting everything together.
Having Thomas, which is what MR wanted but couldn't make happen year one, and choosing TW as DC shows a willingness to change out the door. From the get go.
TO found that uniqueness for Nebraska that puts us on top. If people actually think in the late 90s we were so far ahead in our SnC thats what won us the nattys and it wasn't more TOs formula for here and his willingness to change and tweak let them.
MR is embracing TOs formula out the gate, every other HC we have had here has been too stubborn, and yes it will get you far, nine wins solidly even, but when fans said any coach can win nine games, I'd say any good coach can, and at lesser schools they move up when it happens.

Entry level good coaches are fine, and some turn into those top coaches. We shouldn't settle imo.

Last edited:
Occam's Razor.

Now it's the boosters? I thought it was disgruntled fans "here on HMax and other social media."
You're right, if Bo had contended for B1G championships, he would not have been fired. But if Eichorst and Bo had gotten along, Bo would have kept his job winning 9 games.
I don't think it's blowout losses to the Wisconsins and Michigans, though that certainly doesn't help. It's losing seasons with losses to the likes of Georgia Southern, Northern Illinois, and Southern Mississippi that doom a coach.
Just silliness. Boosters are fans. :rolleyes: Stop trying so hard to do a gotcha moment. If you think I’ve switched positions, perhaps go back and read the whole thread again.

I’m surprised you don’t think blowout losses were part of the equation with Bo. I guess as time moves on, people forget what the hot issues were during that time period.

In the end, what average fans, booster fans, and AD’s did to the program is in the past. What will be interesting is to see whether anyone learned anything from it. We seem to have hired a coach with a little more gravitas. If he achieves Bo level success, will there be pressure to fire him to push the program to the next level like we did before?

Pelini had no HC experience whatsoever before NU. He wasn’t ready to be a HC. There were plenty of more experience options. He didn’t even have an offensive identity choosing to retain Watson from previous regime

TO went with the relatively known and cheap.
Doesn't matter, i'm commenting about the numbers. Pelini improved those numbers substantially. all the other stuff around his tenure are fine to comment on and all, but the fact still remains, w/o the pelini years, Neb would still be way worse in the rankings.....

Just silliness. Boosters are fans. :rolleyes: Stop trying so hard to do a gotcha moment. If you think I’ve switched positions, perhaps go back and read the whole thread again.

I’m surprised you don’t think blowout losses were part of the equation with Bo. I guess as time moves on, people forget what the hot issues were during that time period.

In the end, what average fans, booster fans, and AD’s did to the program is in the past. What will be interesting is to see whether anyone learned anything from it. We seem to have hired a coach with a little more gravitas. If he achieves Bo level success, will there be pressure to fire him to push the program to the next level like we did before?
Pelini’s on field behavior and interactions with the media did not sit well with the chancellor (Perlman). I don’t think that Perlman and maybe some of the regents felt that he was representing the university properly. I believe Eichorst was hired and given the responsibility of replacing the head football coach. Perlman and Eichorst wanted Pelini out the door. The blowout losses were a big help in justifying what they planned to do anyway.

Pelini’s on field behavior and interactions with the media did not sit well with the chancellor (Perlman). I don’t think that Perlman and maybe some of the regents felt that he was representing the university properly. I believe Eichorst was hired and given the responsibility of replacing the head football coach. Perlman and Eichorst wanted Pelini out the door. The blowout losses were a big help in justifying what they planned to do anyway.
Agreed. Follow that up with the shrunken scope of who we are, we needed change. Eichorst was a buffoon. He followed in safe mode, condemning us to that smaller scope.
Anyhow, I don't know what situation we are in yet, too early. If we'd just had average turnovers Las year, Bo would still be history and a much larger viewpoint of who we are would be now being speculated upon.

The fact Bo is still coming up in the way he is is troubling. Change the scope, then Bo will be viewed better imo.

You may very well be correct about all that. But the stated basis for his firing and most of the vitriol on social media was related to on field performance of the team.

Doesn't matter, i'm commenting about the numbers. Pelini improved those numbers substantially. all the other stuff around his tenure are fine to comment on and all, but the fact still remains, w/o the pelini years, Neb would still be way worse in the rankings.....
Pelini looks like Nick Saban compared to Riley, Callahan and Frost. Doesn’t make him a good choice as HC. You’re absolutely right that without the numbers during his tenure that our overall figures in the 21st would be significantly worse.

Pelini’s actions did not help the situation regardless of their relationship.
Pelini’s antics on and off the field were an embarrassment to N! So then we hire “milk toast, anti-Pelini” Riley and the rest history!! The fans wanted Pelini and the hire was made. Interesting that Patterson, who was at or later at TCU, also interviewed, but knew he was up against Pelini who everyone wanted!

Pelini’s antics on and off the field were an embarrassment to N! So then we hire “milk toast, anti-Pelini” Riley and the rest history!! The fans wanted Pelini and the hire was made. Interesting that Patterson, who was at or later at TCU, also interviewed, but knew he was up against Pelini who everyone wanted!
If you're the man you make the tough decisions

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back