• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

The Miles Enigma

I have always advocated a longtime assistant at a quality program is way to go. We need someone that understands the formula of how to compete in a big time conference.

I'm far from sold on either of Osborne's hires as AD. Miles and Erstad. I sorta think they are one in the same. Just barely good enough to keep around; not bad enough to fire easily. And both sputter in the postseason.

Bill Byrne's hire of John Cook ranks highest.

Amazing, the women's softball coach was a Devaney hire.
As great a coach TO was, his coaching hires not so great

I'm far from sold on either of Osborne's hires as AD. Miles and Erstad. I sorta think they are one in the same. Just barely good enough to keep around; not bad enough to fire easily. And both sputter in the postseason.

Miles and Erstad: 12 years of combined coaching and ONE NCAA tourney victory, Erstad over Binghamton.

As I've said often with the Erstad hire, its NOT that you hired him, its how do you get rid of him? Football star, MLB all star, magic world series ring, and "booster of substance"

Hire T.J. Otzelberger. Now in his second season with the South Dakota State and took his squad to the NCAA Tournaments and claimed a Summit League Tournament titles. Jackrabbits almost beat mighty Buckeyes ... tied score at 1:30 to go (NCAA dance).

SDSU rosters are no-named players. And star growing up in the small town of Kimball Nebraska ... farm kid.

Otzelberger served two separate stints as an assistant coach at Iowa State, covering eight seasons. He began his first tour in Ames in 2006 under head coach Greg McDermott and was later elevated to associate head coach in 2010 by then-head coach Fred Hoiberg. The 2011-12 Iowa State squad achieved a top-25 national ranking for the first time in seven years and defeated defending national champion Connecticut in the NCAA Tournament en route to 23 wins.

Following the 2012-13 season, Otzelberger moved on to the University of Washington for two years, where he served as associate head coach on Lorenzo Romar’s coaching staff. The Huskies were ranked as high as No. 11 during the 2014-15 season and Otzelberger played a key role in putting together a top-10 nationally ranked recruiting class.

Otzelberger returned to Iowa State in the spring of 2015 as an assistant coach. As a member of Steve Prohm’s coaching staff, he helped lead the Cyclones to a 23-12 overall record and a berth in the NCAA Tournament Sweet 16. The Cyclones were ranked in the top 25 throughout the 2015-16 season and knocked off both No. 1 Oklahoma and No. 4 Kansas during Big 12 Conference play. Iowa State reached the Sweet 16 by recording victories over Iona (N.Y.) and Arkansas-Little Rock before falling to top-seeded Virginia in the regional semifinals.

Comparing Miles and Erstad? That’s laughable and uneducated on so many levels.

Unfortunately, it's quite valid.

Please refrain from the "uneducated" part. Now, if you wish to laugh, that's fine. I laugh daily here.
Comparing Coach Miles who is in a power basketball conference and not getting anything done, to a guy that plays in a mid-major baseball conference that allows teams like Nebraska-Omaha to offer more scholarships than us, who has gotten us to the NCAA tournament 3 of the last 4 years out of this mid-major conference, while being the defending conference champion and coach of the year is uneducated.

People just wishing for the days of CWS and having zero clue the reduction in scholarships we've gone thru moving to the B1G is just mind-blowing to me. Nebraska fans are so entitled it's unreal.

But if we want to circle it back to Miles, I actually was his biggest hater and he showed me a bit this year. Not sure if he played his way back to having a job or not, but he either has to get a multi-year extension or get fired in my opinion.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back