• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

The Miles Enigma

Husker Eponymous

Scout Team
10 Year Member
Well, what do you do with the guy?

I posted this a few weeks ago, and it still stands:

This is the Miles enigma. Like it or not, Nebraska may be stuck with him for a few years. Barring complete collapse, he'll be back next year (how do you fire him with a senior laden team coming back?). Next year sets up to be a marque year, nearly a lock for a NCAA bid. You can't fire him after that. Then the youth movement comes in, back to the bottom of the B1G as he as shown he can't coach a young team up. Miles is good for a competitive team every 3-4 years. Unfortunately, we are coming up on that cycle.

Lest Palmer and Copeland leave, this is a NCAA team next year (if not, he's fired). Then you have to keep Miles for 2019-20, and back to square one: Young team, young talent, and whatever other excuses have been parlayed for Miles the last 6 years (injuries, transfers, etc)

I found it interesting that Miles did not interview after the game. I believe his assistant coach Jim Molinari did the interviews. Guessing Miles is pretty down after the past 2 weeks of events.

I found it interesting that Miles did not interview after the game. I believe his assistant coach Jim Molinari did the interviews. Guessing Miles is pretty down after the past 2 weeks of events.

Going to give him the benefit of the doubt on this and guess it is like other NCAA events and the HC has NCAA / NIT responsibility and the Radio network falls to an assistant.

Well, what do you do with the guy?

I posted this a few weeks ago, and it still stands:

This is the Miles enigma. Like it or not, Nebraska may be stuck with him for a few years. Barring complete collapse, he'll be back next year (how do you fire him with a senior laden team coming back?). Next year sets up to be a marque year, nearly a lock for a NCAA bid. You can't fire him after that. Then the youth movement comes in, back to the bottom of the B1G as he as shown he can't coach a young team up. Miles is good for a competitive team every 3-4 years. Unfortunately, we are coming up on that cycle.

Lest Palmer and Copeland leave, this is a NCAA team next year (if not, he's fired). Then you have to keep Miles for 2019-20, and back to square one: Young team, young talent, and whatever other excuses have been parlayed for Miles the last 6 years (injuries, transfers, etc)

Quad 4 post.

If he goes to the NCAA tourney and wins in it next year, does it really matter for 2 or 3 years after that?

If I’m AD, he’s either the guy or he’s not. If he’s not the guy, find his replacement and fire him. If he’s the guy, extend him to 4 years, get behind him, and work with him to improve the program.

If that's the case I fire him as soon as the plane lands. I 100% do not believe in Tim Miles. I think he is in over his head in a major conference. This year, IMO, was fools gold.

That said, you can't fire him after this season. And you can't not give some sort of extension. By not firing him last year....when he SHOULD have been fired it will cost NU at least a few extra million when/if the time comes in the next year or two.

If that's the case I fire him as soon as the plane lands. I 100% do not believe in Tim Miles. I think he is in over his head in a major conference. This year, IMO, was fools gold.

That said, you can't fire him after this season. And you can't not give some sort of extension. By not firing him last year....when he SHOULD have been fired it will cost NU at least a few extra million when/if the time comes in the next year or two.

I’ve changed my mind from the other week. I would fire him.

The worst thing you could do is half-ass it or try to run him out the next 12 months. Just cut the cord or extend him and build with him. If he makes the tourney next year and has a strong administrator helping him, he could possibly build it. I look at the body of work though and I let him go this Friday.

If you're happy with mediocrity or think this is the best we can do, then you keep him.

If you think that with our facilities and fan support, we have the potential to be a much better program, you go out and spend the money it takes to attract a coach who can take the program to the next level.

If you're happy with mediocrity or think this is the best we can do, then you keep him.

If you think that with our facilities and fan support, we have the potential to be a much better program, you go out and spend the money it takes to attract a coach who can take the program to the next level.
It's not about "spend the money".

It would be a gutsy move right now. But I would 100% support it.

Yeah, I think that the right leadership is in place now that the whole “you can’t fire him because of 22 wins” argument is largely invalid. There are plenty of coaches who would come here, just have to find the right one.

As far as for firing him last year, I’m convinced that it saved millions of dollars as I have no faith in Eichorst making a good hire.

Yeah, I think that the right leadership is in place now that the whole “you can’t fire him because of 22 wins” argument is largely invalid. There are plenty of coaches who would come here, just have to find the right one.

As far as for firing him last year, I’m convinced that it saved millions of dollars as I have no faith in Eichorst making a good hire.
fair point on SE. But he did hire the women's coach right?

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back