• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Locked due to no posts in 60 days. Report 1st post if need unlocked Tell me if I'm off base with this thinking.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Out of this world is hyperbole...

In 2003 he had the Bullocks brothers at Safety... LeKevin Smith at DT... Kabongo was a serviceable DT... TJ Hollowell, Demorrio Williams and Barrett Ruud were at LB,... Bernard Thomas was respectable at DE... Carricker and Jay Moore were redshirt Freshman on the roster and contributed... also on the roster was Stewart Bradley...

I think most of those players are as good or better than what we have on our team today...

Maybe they were just "light years" better.....

Well, you have to admit this post of yours is just odd.

I'm not sure what you want from them. There's been article after article, quote after quote that they are all sick to their stomachs, angry, feel that they've let people down, etc etc. And you hone in on one thing and then criticize. Would you rather they all get caned after every loss? Here we are the day before the game (morning of actually) and your still harping about a loss 2 weeks ago and one over a month ago. Get over it.

I think it's QUITE possible that the players are overcoached. The idea that you need to know everyone else's responsibility seems good in theory...but these guys get 20 hours a week.

And it has been said quite often that this defense is very complicated. And yes...that used to be a bad thing a few years ago.

I will throw something in, since what you are talking about is mental versus physical. I wonder if the reason they don't do we'll with adversity is that they want to be like the 90's Blackshirts, and they just aren't and can't be. It looks like they forget their coaching and try to hard to make plays instead of doing their assignments.

I say this because all you hear about from former and current players is talk of those 90's teams defense.

A couple things here. First, you seem to be saying that talent is an issue because our current players had a lot of recruiting "stars" awarded to them by recruiting services while they were in high school, just like the players in 2003 and 2008. That may be true, but I think most of us are pointing to what the players on these teams did AFTER HS...while on the Husker team, or afterwards, since we have the benefit of seeing what they did after college. Facts are that 2003 and 2008/9 were LOADED with future NFL players (see below from a previous post of mine in another thread). If you think we have that kind of professional talent on this years team, you are probably the only one.

Maybe the truth lies somewhere in between. We recruited decent players just have not developed those players. There are coaches out there who have done far better with less by coaching up their players.

I'll have what you're having.... seriously? Pat Ricketts at CB?

are you sure the company line is that FS was recruiting "out of this world" talent?

debate talent all you want, the results in both '03 & '08 were immediate improvement in win totals (+3 & +4)

In 2003 that defense starters and reserves had 13 guys make NFL rosters.. So Yeah they had great talent.

Last edited:
I'm not sure what you want from them. There's been article after article, quote after quote that they are all sick to their stomachs, angry, feel that they've let people down, etc etc. And you hone in on one thing and then criticize. Would you rather they all get caned after every loss? Here we are the day before the game (morning of actually) and your still harping about a loss 2 weeks ago and one over a month ago. Get over it.

Boy, you really are the master of hyperbole. I've never said one word about "punishing" them, I've only expressed a wish that they would take the losses seriously. Yet YOU have suggested judo chops and caning...please, get serious yourself.

Next, check the threads before you accuse me about harping on a two week old game. The threads I have opened have been with regard to the NW game or the program's state in general. I've just been responding to threads on the message board, the same threads the YOU have been in. In fact, I've been in fewer of them with fewer responses than YOU. Get off your high horse.

Last edited:

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back