• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Tanner Lee Named Starting Quarterback

I don't think anyone would argue Gebbia's upside. He's a baller. But physically, he's not ready and therefore it's a 2-man race.

Seeing as Lee hasn't shown anything in your mind that makes him a 2 year starter, have you seen it out of O'Brien?

Personally, I feel like they both have the ability to be multi-year starters, as is Gebbia. But there aren't enough years between the three of them to allow it.

Also, I don't buy your attemp of discrediting Lee based on having played for a mediocre program...

Kurt Warner (Northern Iowa)
Brett Favre (Southern Mississippi)
Joe Flacco (Delaware)
Tony Romo (Eastern Illinois)
Ben Roethlisberger (Miami Ohio)
Ryan Fitzpatrick (Harvard)
Blake Bortles (Central Florida)
Colin Kaepernick (Nevada)
Derek Carr (Fresno State)
Josh McCown (Sam Houston State)

The list goes on...
The list does go on. And while not a QB, Jerry Rice played at that juggernaut, Mississippi Valley State, and well, he "may" have had an okay NFL career.

Hope this doesn't mean that backup O'Brien becomes the most popular QB among the fan base. I would have been upset if a two year starter was beaten by a redshirt freshman. It was closer than many thought but I believe it was the right one.
I am prepared for a three man battle next year which is great for this program.
1. POB will absolutely be the fan favorite the minute Lee struggles...and he will eventually. That's the nature of fandom. NU fans didn't invent it.

2. Why would you have been upset if POB won the job? 2 year starter but not at NU.

3. 3 man battle? Like heading into 2018? Not likely. If Lee plays well and is healthy he's likely the man in 2018 also. If not, I don't want to think about what happened in 2017.

I don't think anyone would argue Gebbia's upside. He's a baller. But physically, he's not ready and therefore it's a 2-man race.
This is overrated. People said Kevin Durant would need years to get stronger. He only dominated from the start pretty much. If Gebbia is the most talented, has the most upside, you play him. The game is more than just sheer strength. Who gives a ---- if he looks the part, the question is, can he play the part. If he can, play him. That's all.

Last edited:
He's probably the best choice right now. His experience factor certainly helps, but then again, he hasn't played against a B1G defense yet. Wisconsin, then OSU? At least we have a quality back up should Lee get knocked out.

Boom. There it is. He is the best choice right now. The coaches wanted to name a starter right now, and, as you said, Lee is probably the best choice, right now. POB could certainly change that after fall camp. Gebbia as well.

3. 3 man battle? Like heading into 2018? Not likely. If Lee plays well and is healthy he's likely the man in 2018 also. If not, I don't want to think about what happened in 2017.
Sadly, YUP! We may not win the B1G, but I think we make the B1G CG this year.

Not surprising. Hope Lee turns out to be great.

O'Brien has every reason to stick around at least this year. After that it will depend.
He already red shirted so he's not leaving until after his Jr year (if he graduates in 4) at the soonest IMO. Unless he wants to play 1aa.

1. POB will absolutely be the fan favorite the minute Lee struggles...and he will eventually. That's the nature of fandom. NU fans didn't invent it.

2. Why would you have been upset if POB won the job? 2 year starter but not at NU.

Only scenario I see is if Lee goes gangbusters and leaves early for the NFL, and we land a stud 2018 guy who is physically ready to play. That said, I agree it's unlikely.

Boom. There it is. He is the best choice right now. The coaches wanted to name a starter right now, and, as you said, Lee is probably the best choice, right now. POB could certainly change that after fall camp. Gebbia as well.
They didn't name a "starter" yet.

Tanner Lee is not a two year starter. Neither for UNL nor for Riley. If O'Brian Is the better QB he should start.

It's intriguing after several years of arguments about who should be the starter that everyone automatically accepts that Lee is the best without any empirical evidence.

To my undiscerning eye, Gebbia has the most upside of anyone in the QB room.

Wow...I ever thought I'd defend Socal but he has it more or less right in this post.

POB beating out Lee would NOT have been beating out a 2 year starter. Period.

If POB is the best yes, he should start. I don't think socal said he is the best. Seemed like it was in response to Yeungling's "I'd be upset if he beat out a 2 year starter". I agree with Socal's assessement...I couldn't care less about Lee's 2 years at Tulane and he had no seniority HERE. IF POB is better he should start. Obviously, as of right now that doesn't appear to be the case.

It will be interesting to see how Lee does if he stays the starter. His stats at Tulane were poor. Yes, apparently he had a bad line. Until proven otherwise so does NU. The resident expert here (***...and I'm not being a smart a--) clearly reported that on the run/under pressure Lee isn't very good (I'm paraphrasing). That's a concern until the OL shows they can protect consistently. I've mentioned many times a particular study I saw that basically showed that what a guy is in his first 8 games or so as a QB....that's who he is. I hope that the change of scenery does wonders for Lee. But I wouldn't exactly throw in the towel if I was POB.

I think most believe Gebbia appeared to have the most upside. Of course that and $5 will get you a cup of coffee at Starbucks but it's a fair statement.

So...Socal...enjoy it...it might be a while before I agree with you again. :)

Riley's words are important to pay attention to. "Heading into the summer". There are still 20-some practices before the live action begins.

This is overrated. People said Kevin Durant would need years to get stronger. He only dominated from the start pretty much. If Gebbia is the most talented, has the most upside, you play him. The game is more than just sheer strength. Who gives a ---- if he looks the part, the question is, can he play the part. If he can, play him. That's all.

I can't disagree with the success of a physically underdeveloped Durant, but I don't know if I can agree that those two scenarios are comparable. We're talking College vs Pro and Football vs Basketball. Not exactly apples to apples.

It's not like they aren't giving Gebbia a chance. He had more pass attempts than any QB in the spring game giving them a lot of things to evaluate him on. But if he's simply lockstep with the other two (which it appeared he was), then you redshirt him give him a chance to adjust to life as a college student/athlete, learn the offense and physically develop. And who knows, maybe he'll pass them both up.

That said, we can also just agree to disagree.

Clearly this was expected, but POB gave it a good try. I truly hate the use of the description "he's the best because the coaches know." Often, the coaches don't know, and select based on seniority, quality practice rep's, intangibles and/or incorrect judgement. In this case, however, it is clear that POB had every opportunity to win the job, but fell just short. That gives me even more confidence in Lee than I already had. Does it make Lee "the best?" Maybe, but only time will tell for certain...I just know that I like the pick, the competition and our backup situation. GBR!

Very true. The best QB doesn't ALWAYS start. Coaches, by their nature, generally take the safe route. If they ALWAYS did the smart thing they'd almost never punt on 4th and short. Certainly not beyond their own 40. Yet they almost always all do. Why is that? Because of media, message boards, fans, etc. Everyone's an expert but you'll always get less grief taking the "safe bet". It's entirely understandable....it's human nature to avoid risk and criticism.

Wow...I ever thought I'd defend Socal but he has it more or less right in this post.

POB beating out Lee would NOT have been beating out a 2 year starter. Period.

If POB is the best yes, he should start. I don't think socal said he is the best. Seemed like it was in response to Yeungling's "I'd be upset if he beat out a 2 year starter". I agree with Socal's assessement...I couldn't care less about Lee's 2 years at Tulane and he had no seniority HERE. IF POB is better he should start. Obviously, as of right now that doesn't appear to be the case.

It will be interesting to see how Lee does if he stays the starter. His stats at Tulane were poor. Yes, apparently he had a bad line. Until proven otherwise so does NU. The resident expert here (***...and I'm not being a smart a--) clearly reported that on the run/under pressure Lee isn't very good (I'm paraphrasing). That's a concern until the OL shows they can protect consistently. I've mentioned many times a particular study I saw that basically showed that what a guy is in his first 8 games or so as a QB....that's who he is. I hope that the change of scenery does wonders for Lee. But I wouldn't exactly throw in the towel if I was POB.

I think most believe Gebbia appeared to have the most upside. Of course that and $5 will get you a cup of coffee at Starbucks but it's a fair statement.

So...Socal...enjoy it...it might be a while before I agree with you again. :)
I am blown away. I tip my hat to you sir. You understood from where I am coming!

Given the schedule, they'd better.
We certainly are not projected to do very well, and supposedly, Oregon is going to crush us and we have no shot at Wiscy, OSU, PSU or Iowa. I'm thinking we win a minimum of 9 this season, but that is jmho. I think we beat Oregon and split the other 4 games.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back