• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Tanner Lee Named Starting Quarterback

Realistically, none of us have really seen enough to honestly judge. A glorified scrimmage. I'm guessing the coaches think it's not close. If it's close, why name a starter at this point? Serves no purpose and all the competitors could respect as much. Must be a wide margin.

MR explained why now, the margin is probably not as wide as you think.

C

I think the experience factor with Lee probably made a difference. The battle isn't yet over and it is a long season. I was also impressed by the play of Gebbia but he looked a little like Opie Taylor (aka Ron Howard ). The kid needs to spend some time in the Suh weight room and he will be fine.

Wow...just wow. You want to throw an undersized HS age kid into the B1G. So glad MR is smarter than that. And TL was a two year starter, 19 games in all at Tulane....no one said anything about starting at NU. This is bizarre even for you Socal.
I said he had the most upside. But I'm sure you read what you wanted in my post. Gebbia will be the starter in a year or two, imo.

Tulane? A very mediocre program in a Go5 conference? Well then, he must be the best we can get!

Realistically, none of us have really seen enough to honestly judge. A glorified scrimmage. I'm guessing the coaches think it's not close. If it's close, why name a starter at this point? Serves no purpose and all the competitors could respect as much. Must be a wide margin.

Naming a starter is not the same as naming a "leader entering summer". I think Lee will start the first game, but MR seemingly explained why he named a leader. Probably didn't want the distraction that some on here want to create

MR explained why now, the margin is probably not as wide as you think.

C
Well, yes. This I know; if you have two or three potential starters you do not have a starting QB. You don't want to enter Fall camp without having named a starter though.

I think the experience factor with Lee probably made a difference. The battle isn't yet over and it is a long season. I was also impressed by the play of Gebbia but he looked a little like Opie Taylor (aka Ron Howard ). The kid needs to spend some time in the Suh weight room and he will be fine.
He may never be the physical specimen we'd like to see, but frankly, who cares? If he can move the chains and find the open receiver that works for me.

Interesting. Sounds like Tanner Lee?
He's probably the best choice right now. His experience factor certainly helps, but then again, he hasn't played against a B1G defense yet. Wisconsin, then OSU? At least we have a quality back up should Lee get knocked out.

Face it, NU can win 60% of their games behind any of the top four QBs. There are plenty of opportunities for any of the three to unseat Lee. I'm thankful we have this problem.

He's probably the best choice right now. His experience factor certainly helps, but then again, he hasn't played against a B1G defense yet. Wisconsin, then OSU? At least we have a quality back up should Lee get knocked out.

This shouldn't surprise anyone but you are wrong. He went 7/9 in his outing against a big ten defense. Use google before you type.

Naming a starter is not the same as naming a "leader entering summer". I think Lee will start the first game, but MR seemingly explained why he named a leader. Probably didn't want the distraction that some on here want to create
I still say that's hogwash. If it's a too close to call race, keep the competitors engaged, balls to the wall. This could cause a player to back off a bit IMO. Give'em all something to shoot for. It's up for grabs. I understand if it's not close, but otherwise......just my own belief. Nothing personal.

I said he had the most upside. But I'm sure you read what you wanted in my post. Gebbia will be the starter in a year or two, imo.

Tulane? A very mediocre program in a Go5 conference? Well then, he must be the best we can get!

I don't think anyone would argue Gebbia's upside. He's a baller. But physically, he's not ready and therefore it's a 2-man race.

Seeing as Lee hasn't shown anything in your mind that makes him a 2 year starter, have you seen it out of O'Brien?

Personally, I feel like they both have the ability to be multi-year starters, as does Gebbia. But there aren't enough years between the three of them to allow it.

Also, I don't buy your attemp of discrediting Lee based on having played for a mediocre program...

Kurt Warner (Northern Iowa)
Brett Favre (Southern Mississippi)
Joe Flacco (Delaware)
Tony Romo (Eastern Illinois)
Ben Roethlisberger (Miami Ohio)
Ryan Fitzpatrick (Harvard)
Blake Bortles (Central Florida)
Colin Kaepernick (Nevada)
Derek Carr (Fresno State)
Josh McCown (Sam Houston State)

The list goes on...

Last edited:

Face it, NU can win 60% of their games behind any of the top four QBs. There are plenty of opportunities for any of the three to unseat Lee. I'm thankful we have this problem.
Have to see how they preform in a real, live game. Maybe, only 1of the 4 is a gamer when the lights come on? Maybe 2? Have to find that dude. No reason to name a starter right now unless it's a WIDE margin.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back