• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Strong traction that PennSt OhioSt Michigan and Nebraska will all join the Big12 for the upcoming season.

i-feel-like-im-taking-crazy-pills.gif

Big 6... play the other 5 teams home and away!

You can procrastinate all you want there will NOT be football this year

Also be warned -- this Tweeter is a Longhorn.

He's probably just laughing at his newfound power to get Big Ten fans riled up. Heck, he probably already has a hundred new followers from Nebraska.

And FWIW, he's only been on Twitter for a year-and-a-half. Not hardly with much of a resume.

Last edited:
A few other Twits echoing similar messages about back channel talks and the like. I don’t see how its even possible from a legal standpoint with TV rights and contracts and such.

Where do I go to start my own rumor? I heard that Nebraska, Purdue, and Michigan St. are leading an effort to get schools with anthropomorphic mascots to play together in an ad hoc group called "The Human League":

Sooners, Red Raiders, Fighting Irish all heard to say "don't, don't you want me??"

I cannot believe the Big Ten would allow this. It's one thing for Notre Dame who had no football affiliation with any other conference when they teamed up with the ACC, who they already had some affiliation with in other sports..

Also -- why would the Big 12 want to share their TV revenue with four extra teams -- meaning less of a piece of the pie for each of their own schools??! They aren't going to get a share of Big Ten revenue -- the Big Ten wouldn't allow it.

I see absolutely no benefit for the Big 12 inviting four extra teams to join them this season. Let alone the fact that it would have to mean the Big Ten is not playing and the Big 12 is. The horse is way ahead of the cart on this rumor. Way ahead.
I don't see this happening, but if Michigan, Ohio St. Penn. St. and Nebraska want to take their ball and play elsewhere, then the B1G won't have any choice but to let it happen. Particularly, if the B1G along with the less storied programs choose to shut things down.

I don't see this happening, but if Michigan, Ohio St. Penn. St. and Nebraska want to take their ball and play elsewhere, then the B1G won't have any choice but to let it happen. Particularly, if the B1G along with the less storied programs choose to shut things down.

They could say goodbye to Nebraska, but obviously not so easy with Ohio State and Michigan. Or, I'd say if Nebraska tried to do this alone, the Big Ten wouldn't bend over for them.

My bigger issue is in trying to figure out how the Big 12 would benefit. There would need to be new TV contracts created -- or else each of the Big 12 teams would make less money/less of a TV revenue share from their current contract. The Big 12 just isn't going to do this unless they can gain from it financially. And for a temporary fix in short order, I'm not sure how. The Big Ten isn't going to cooperate on finances.

Last edited:
Why would the networks not pay the BIG teams based on their current contract on a per game price and the same for the Big 12 contract revenue? It could happen if this was the case

Where do I go to start my own rumor? I heard that Nebraska, Purdue, and Michigan St. are leading an effort to get schools with anthropomorphic mascots to play together in an ad hoc group called "The Human League":

Sooners, Red Raiders, Fighting Irish all heard to say "don't, don't you want me??"
Oof! That hurt but I gave you a like just for effort.

They could say goodbye to Nebraska, but obviously not so easy with Ohio State and Michigan. Or, I'd say if Nebraska tried to do this alone, the Big Ten wouldn't bend over for them.

My bigger issue is in trying to figure out how the Big 12 would benefit. There would need to be new TV contracts created -- or else each of the Big 12 teams would make less money/less of a TV revenue share from their current contract. The Big 12 just isn't going to do this unless they can gain from it financially. And for a temporary fix in short order, I'm not sure how. The Big Ten isn't going to cooperate on finances.
If they get paid $10 to play that is $10 more than $0. Whatever it takes to create revenue then do it.

If they get paid $10 to play that is $10 more than $0. Whatever it takes to create revenue then do it.

The Big 12 is already getting paid whether four Big Ten teams join them or not. If four teams join under the current Big 12 TV contract, they have to split to pie further than they are currently -- meaning each current Big 12 team gets less. Why would they do that? The only way would be if the Big 12 was able to revise their current TV contract to make up the difference lost (at least) under the current contract. I fail to believe the wheels are already in motion for this -- considering the Big Ten still hasn't cancelled anything. And I doubt new TV contracts are done with just a snap of the fingers. The Big 12 is not looking for a way to make less money per school.

Last edited:

These are some of the reasons I don't see it happening, but whatever the B1G thinks they can do to Nebraska, they will also have to do to Ohio St., Michigan and Penn. St.. Just think what the B1G would look like without these 4 schools. Does the B1G want to risk giving up Power 5 status to wherever these 4 schools end up?

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back