• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Star wars?

Was just reading an article about the reviews for the Rise of Skywalker. Most the reviews were mixed, which I interpret to mean that most Star Wars fans will like it. The critics loved The Last Jedi I thought is was OK, but I have never thought Star Wars movies as anything more than a good adventure.

I hope it is a good movie. Will be going to see it on Friday night.

One thing to keep in mind in regards to the reviews from the premiere, is that most of those people invited were supposed to like it. I think it will probably make money, as it is the final movie in the saga, and it might even be a decent movie if it were a standalone film. I think the same thing regarding The Force Awakens; if it were a standalone film, or the first in the series, it would have been pretty good. As the 7th movie however, it had far too many recycled story points. If what I have heard of the plot are true, it will be a horrible ending to the saga. I have read people are going to be referring to Rey as Space Jesus. It's a shame, because they had a pretty good cast of main characters with a lot of potential, and good actors playing them. Unfortunately I will never be able to get the image out of my head of Carrie Fischer flying Mary Poppins style back into that ship after getting blown out into space. Damn you Rian Johnson.

Last edited:

FB_IMG_1576638675828.jpg

The critics thus far are not being kind to the Rise of Skywalker. Rotten Tomatoes has it at a 56% Rotten. It will be interesting to see the score once the Audience ratings start totaling up. The critics are typically more lenient these days than the Star Wars fans.

The critics thus far are not being kind to the Rise of Skywalker. Rotten Tomatoes has it at a 56% Rotten. It will be interesting to see the score once the Audience ratings start totaling up. The critics are typically more lenient these days than the Star Wars fans.

I just watch a review on Youtube it was from ET Canada? The guy did about a 12 minute review. He liked it, he didn't say it was great or life changing or anything. But, he said it should satisfy Star Wars fans.

I just watch a review on Youtube it was from ET Canada? The guy did about a 12 minute review. He liked it, he didn't say it was great or life changing or anything. But, he said it should satisfy Star Wars fans.

To be fair to JJ Abrams, Rian Johnson put him in a pretty tough spot. I don't know if I would have taken the franchise back after that.

I’m really looking forward to seeing the flick, but I’ll wait until it comes out on DVD. All of these Star Wars have been entertaining and I’m sure this new one will be too. I don’t have a livin-in-my-parents-basement emotional investment with this.

It was very good but a few things could have been better. Wont ruin it for everyone but it might be fun to have this discussion in a couple of months when those that care have already seen it.

I’m really looking forward to seeing the flick, but I’ll wait until it comes out on DVD. All of these Star Wars have been entertaining and I’m sure this new one will be too. I don’t have a livin-in-my-parents-basement emotional investment with this.

One doesn't need to live in ones parents basement to think garbage is garbage :) I'm not saying this one sucks, I have yet to see it, but the previous movie was garbage, and I have little hope for this one after reading reviews.

One doesn't need to live in ones parents basement to think garbage is garbage :) I'm not saying this one sucks, I have yet to see it, but the previous movie was garbage, and I have little hope for this one after reading reviews.

yeah, I know, but I read some reviews and sheesh... it just seems like folks have a bit more of a weird over-the-top personal investment in it.

I was entertained by the last one....even watched it more than once. Was it the best movie I've ever seen?...not by a long shot... was it garbage? I didn't think so, not at all.

I supppose I just don't get the depth of emotion these Star Wars movies elicit. I guess everyone's expectations are different and movie makers have a tall task trying to meet each and every one of them. Folks are bound to be disappointed. Garbage? I don't know....seems a bit strong of a description.

yeah, I know, but I read some reviews and sheesh... it just seems like folks have a bit more of a weird over-the-top personal investment in it.

I was entertained by the last one....even watched it more than once. Was it the best movie I've ever seen?...not by a long shot... was it garbage? I didn't think so, not at all.

I supppose I just don't get the depth of emotion these Star Wars movies elicit. I guess everyone's expectations are different and movie makers have a tall task trying to meet each and every one of them. Folks are bound to be disappointed. Garbage? I don't know....seems a bit strong of a description.
If I go see a sequel to 'The Godfather', I'm expecting it to not look like 'Johnny Dangerously', even though I enjoyed both movies by themselves

Just got home from seeing it...

I wish I had watched episodes 7 and 8 recently to refresh my memory on characters and story lines, but that would have meant re-watching that turd 'The Last Jedi'...

nah, I'm good.

As for 'Rise of Skywalker':
*sigh*...whatever. I'm just glad the saga is over. No more trilogies, please. Let the Skywalker stories rest in peace. Just stick with origin stories like the 'Rouge One', and 'Solo', or offshoot series like 'The Mandalorian' and 'Obi-Wan'

I laughed some,
I cried some,
I rolled my eyes...a lot

But overall, it was a good movie. Not great, not terrible, bring plenty of grains of salt because some story twists aren't really explained so you just need to roll with it. Some sappiness. Some twists were good, and there were a LOT of throwbacks to earlier episodes, some of which was good nods or nostalgic, but most just seemed like pandering. The entire movie could be summarized as a repeat of 1983's 'Return of the Jedi'. But it wasn't terrible, just a lot of, "okay...whatever".

I havn't read any reviews yet, so I may become swayed to liking it more than I care to admit, or maybe even disliking it more. But as it stands now, I thought it was okay. Definitely better than 'The Last Jedi'. JJ Abrams has at least redeemed the trilogy from that turd.

Last edited:

Saw it tonight. It was decent. Not great, but it tied things up well. It tried to do too much for one movie. It would have been better if it was 2 movies with a little more decent character development.

I am not someone that has ever thought Star Wars was some life altering great thing. They are fun sci-fi adventures.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back