• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Stalbird in Transfer Portal

that sounds right to me. I'm wondering if the answer was something like, you're on the list for next fall, provided you earn more snaps in the 2 deep. He maybe wanted something sooner...

we'll see. I hope he's back. he's a scholarship level athlete, IMO
IMO the coaches should ask themselves "knowing what we know now, would we have offered him?" If the answer is yes, then they should put him on scholarship. Hopefully, Frost is doing that, but I am not convinced. I am convinced that previous staffs haven't been as forthcoming with scholarships for walk-ons as TO and FS were.

Our previous staffs have been taking Nebraska kids for granted and I think they have done the same with walkons. The simple question for the kids is "who is showing you the love". If it is somewhere else, that is where you need to go.

Last edited:

IMO the coaches should ask themselves "knowing what we know now, would we have offered him?" If the answer is yes, then they should put him on scholarship. Hopefully, Frost is doing that, but I am not convinced. I am convinced that previous staffs haven't been as forthcoming with scholarships for walk-ons as TO and FS were.

Our previous staffs have been taking Nebraska kids for granted and I think they have done the same with walkons. The simple question for the kids is "who is showing you the love". If it is somewhere else, that is where you need to go.

Good points. I think the comparison to Hixson is a good one. He was pretty much in the 2 deep, at the end of last year, but wasn't at a level where they wanted to play him outside of a couple of games that were over already. He went into spring competing to start and didn't get one until fall camp, which he did get when he won the job (I imagine he could have gotten one even if he'd been the swing guard in the rotation backing up Farniok and Wilson).

The decisions around the younger guys will be the more difficult one. We have a ton of quality talent there, but I don't know the rules Frost will follow. I don't think it's "enough" to just be in the 2 deep, you need to be at a level where they can play you.

That said, I think Stalbird is close to being a guy who can be in the rotation and the coaches keep naming him as a guy who gets it... hopefully we can work out something and he stays and gets the scholarship because he's on the field next fall..

With the transfer portal, one thing we didn’t ponder with the walk-on program was the possibility we’d find and develop those diamonds in the rough...and then they’d leave to get a scholarship elsewhere.

I love the emphasis on the walk on program...I hope this doesn’t become another area of talent leakage. We need to keep the good ones. This crap ain’t easy.

With the transfer portal, one thing we didn’t ponder with the walk-on program was the possibility we’d find and develop those diamonds in the rough...and then they’d leave to get a scholarship elsewhere.

I love the emphasis on the walk on program...I hope this doesn’t become another area of talent leakage. We need to keep the good ones. This crap ain’t easy.

View attachment 34228
Agree 100%. I never envisioned that the transfer portal would be an avenue for walk-ons to market their talents to achieve a scholarship offer somewhere else. Good for them, but very sad for a program like NU that supports walk-ons more than most. Here's to hoping there will be a middle ground.

Tough loss, coaches were excited about him. But if not for the transfer portal we would just see he wasn't on the roster anymore in the spring or fall and move on. He was still a couple years away from getting a scholarship, so he's probably just seeing what offers he has out there now that he's proved himself a bit.

Tough loss, coaches were excited about him. But if not for the transfer portal we would just see he wasn't on the roster anymore in the spring or fall and move on. He was still a couple years away from getting a scholarship, so he's probably just seeing what offers he has out there now that he's proved himself a bit.

do you think he's gone for sure, or just checking offers? I imagine he can get some offers, but hopeful he can hang out a year and work for the scholarship here

UNL has always lost walk-ons to transfer. King Frazier was 4th string running back, transferred to start for NDSU and won the FCS. Stallbird might be back on scholarship, I hope he is.

do you think he's gone for sure, or just checking offers? I imagine he can get some offers, but hopeful he can hang out a year and work for the scholarship here
I think he’s just checking but leaning out. He won’t leave if all he gets is an NAIA scholarship. Problem is, as a walk-on once you go this route you aren’t all in. Doesn’t look good for you.

I think he’s just checking but leaning out. He won’t leave if all he gets is an NAIA scholarship. Problem is, as a walk-on once you go this route you aren’t all in. Doesn’t look good for you.
I agree to a point. Don't you think if his teammates know that he's feeling like he needs to "lighten the load" on his folks by getting a scholarship, they would accept his return whole-heartedly? Especially if he was in line for a scholarship at UNL later on.

I think if a walk-on was looked down upon by a scholarship athlete for looking out for his own financial future and opportunity to play more in games in the short time you are given to play that sport it would say much more negative about the full scholarship kid then the walk on. "Hey Stalbird, who do you think you are? If you cant stay here and provide us a good look on the scout team while we play in front of 90k every Saturday and you accumulate 15k/year in dept to pay off in the next 30 years then your the lousy type of teammate we don't need"

I agree to a point. Don't you think if his teammates know that he's feeling like he needs to "lighten the load" on his folks by getting a scholarship, they would accept his return whole-heartedly? Especially if he was in line for a scholarship at UNL later on.
I think if a walk-on was looked down upon by a scholarship athlete for looking out for his own financial future and opportunity to play more in games in the short time you are given to play that sport it would say much more negative about the full scholarship kid then the walk on. "Hey Stalbird, who do you think you are? If you cant stay here and provide us a good look on the scout team while we play in front of 90k every Saturday and you accumulate 15k/year in dept to pay off in the next 30 years then your the lousy type of teammate we don't need"
I don't think his teammates would look down on him at all. But what the coaches look for in walk-ons is that they bleed red, and will give everything they have for the N. You now have someone on the team exploring if there are better options. He's not going to see a ton of action in the DB field in 2020 either, so now in the back of the coaches minds they are thinking "do we even waste reps on his development? He could leave us again."

Doesn't matter, we have already parted ways.

Last edited:
I don't think his teammates would look down on him at all. But what the coaches look for in walk-ons is that they bleed red, and will give everything they have for the N. You now have someone on the team exploring if there are better options. He's not going to see a ton of action in the DB field in 2020 either, so now in the back of the coaches minds they are thinking "do we even waste reps on his development? He could leave us again."

Doesn't matter, we have already parted ways.
Good point, thank you for sharing. What do you mean "we have already parted ways?" Did I miss that he landed somewhere?

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back