• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Sources -- Pac-12, Big Ten, ACC discussing formation of alliance

it is bad because of the influence ESPN has.. which also only pushes the SEC.. How many of the SEC teams do you feel should be allowed in the playoff? If something isn't done they will be taking two or more spots every year.

The SEC itself isn't bad, but what they (with the help of ESPN) are doing is bad for everyone else.

ESPN already has way too much influence as it is already.

Look at what they do for the SEC right now. They provide tons of bias coverage for the SEC.

For example:

Alabama loses to a team like Miss St. ESPN shows how great the SEC is from top to bottom, how every team is great and solid and a fight every week.

Ohio St loses to a team like Iowa. ESPN talks about how tOSU is just not there, they are a strong team but not as strong as everyone thought, and if they were a championship caliber team then they would not lose to a team like Iowa.

Last edited:

it is bad because of the influence ESPN has.. which also only pushes the SEC.. How many of the SEC teams do you feel should be allowed in the playoff? If something isn't done they will be taking two or more spots every year.

The SEC itself isn't bad, but what they (with the help of ESPN) are doing is bad for everyone else.
See this doesn’t make sense. What happened to the narrative that espn is becoming irrelevant? Or is it only relevant when we want to use it in a conspiracy theory? And then we see fox giving a bigger package to the B1G than espn to SEC. and ESPN doesn’t have a representative on the CFP selection committee. When they get two teams in it’s because they deserve it.

See this doesn’t make sense. What happened to the narrative that espn is becoming irrelevant? Or is it only relevant when we want to use it in a conspiracy theory? And then we see fox giving a bigger package to the B1G than espn to SEC. and ESPN doesn’t have a representative on the CFP selection committee. When they get two teams in it’s because they deserve it.

I don't think ESPN becomes irrelevant until another conference takes the throne from the SEC on the field. I think regardless of what angle we take on it (ESPN, SEC directly, etc.) the SEC has had an undue level of influence over college football as a whole for nearly two decades. It started with ESPN selling the brand when theytwo first aligned and culminated with the SEC dominating on the field. We've seen the occasional Clemson, Ohio State or Florida State NC across the last decade, but for the most part it's been all SEC all the time.

Winning the financial battle will likely keep the B1G in good shape from a solvency standpoint, but I don't wan't to concede anything to the SEC on the field.

I don't think any of us are naive enough to think the B1G, or Big 12, or Pac 12 wouldn't try to put itself in a position of power if given the opportunity.

Regardless of how this plays out, I think there has to be a single governing body. Not the NCAA. They are joke. There has to be a governing body that would handle writing the directive for how playoffs and championships would come to fruition. They wouldn't need to have their hands in everything like the NCAA does. Just a collection of individuals who guide the process in determining a champion. Because crowning a true champion has to be priority. Otherwise, the sport loses its relevance.

I believe Texas A&M would jump at the chance to move to the Big Ten to get away from Texas again. The Texas TV market for A&M would be huge. I also believe Tennessee( another huge TV market) would welcome a fresh start in the Big Ten.

WEST
Texas A&M
Nebraska
Illinois
Purdue
Northwestern
Wisconsin
Minnesota
Iowa

EAST
Michigan State
Michigan
Penn State
Tennessee
Indiana
Maryland
Rutgers
Ohio State

Play everyone in your division and one crossover. TV market would go through the roof. Easily compete with the SEC for $$$$
No way Tennessee has any interest in leaving the SEC

ESPN already has way too much influence as it is already.

Look at what they do for the SEC right now. They provide tons of bias coverage for the SEC.

For example:

Alabama loses to a team like Miss St. ESPN shows how great the SEC is from top to bottom, how every team is great and solid and a fight every week.

Ohio St loses to a team like Iowa. ESPN talks about how tOSU is just not there, they are a strong team but not as strong as everyone thought, and if they were a championship caliber team then they would not lose to a team like Iowa.

exactly, they 100% have a major influence on the system, as it is now!

EDIT: Something has to be done to counter what they are doing.. to balance things out again, or the SEC will control the playoff, via ESPN.

Last edited:

who said that, a couple posters on here? That is what you are going by?

Lets be real here.

Last edited:

Actually with Usc, Stanford, Oregon and Washington you have the 4 richest fan bases in not only the B1G but the country. So they would not care about travel. USC grads control hollywood, Stanford controls the computer networking industry. Oregon should just change their name to NIKE U, and UW is microsoft central.

That's an interesting thought. While I'm not sure that it makes that much of a difference in whether or not a fan base travels, it made me curious who the wealthiest alumni bases are.

According to this study from 2019, here are the colleges listed in the top 20 -- not including the Ivy League schools and similar.

#2 Stanford
#7 Northwestern
#8 USC
#11 Cal Berkeley
#13 Texas (UT will be top ten before this decade is over with Austin being the #1 destination for tech companies fleeing California)
#15 Notre Dame
#16 Michigan
#17 UCLA
#18 Miami
#19 Virginia

That's an interesting thought. While I'm not sure that it makes that much of a difference in whether or not a fan base travels, it made me curious who the wealthiest alumni bases are.

According to this study from 2019, here are the colleges listed in the top 20 -- not including the Ivy League schools and similar.

#2 Stanford
#7 Northwestern
#8 USC
#11 Cal Berkeley
#13 Texas (UT will be top ten before this decade is over with Austin being the #1 destination for tech companies fleeing California)
#15 Notre Dame
#16 Michigan
#17 UCLA
#18 Miami
#19 Virginia

That is an average of what they make. I was talking about indivodual contributors. Phil Knight probably makes more than the top 10 to 15 from UCLA

That is an average of what they make. I was talking about indivodual contributors. Phil Knight probably makes more than the top 10 to 15 from UCLA

Okay, you said "richest fan bases" when I quoted you -- so that's exactly what I gave you. I'm not sure what your reference to travel meant.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back