• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Sources -- Pac-12, Big Ten, ACC discussing formation of alliance

An alliance is not a conference reorganization or dissolution. It’s really ensuring the opposite for the Pac and ACC. Not sure why people are arguing otherwise.
It is in the short term. If they all enter into some big media rights deal and distribute the money evenly I will agree with you. They won’t do that though. Indians will be pulling in 30-45 million more than USC in a few years. You think that will keep the conferences together?? I just think it will eventually end up being two big super conferences. I definitely could be wrong.

this whole thing is not a good thing.. maybe to stop the SEC and monopolizing the playoff, but that is it, nothing else will be good. they are already talking about standing together.. think covid and what happened last year.

It is in the short term. If they all enter into some big media rights deal and distribute the money evenly I will agree with you. They won’t do that though. Indians will be pulling in 30-45 million more than USC in a few years. You think that will keep the conferences together?? I just think it will eventually end up being two big super conferences. I definitely could be wrong.
It will be mostly north versus south, with a few exceptions.

I hadn't heard about this til I read the 1st post and then my question was why are they doing this. Then I read the second post and saw why. Looks pretty clear to me. Beyond that this alliance doesn't have to mean much at all. Though maybe by having started it they'll find it useful again from time to time.

I see it something like this...

The NCAA is rapidly losing control over college athletics. NIL started that ball rolling once the courts took away the power from the NCAA.

The SEC then took the next move by adding UT and OU, which was a significant powerplay that has set the Big 12 into chaos and a likely end (or at least an end to having a seat at the big boys table).

The Big Ten, Pac-12, and ACC have reacted by structuring an agreement that they will align at least in terms of voting as college football continues to evolve -- TV/streaming deals, playoffs, etc. Obviously doing so because the SEC now has more universities and gained voting power -- so the other conferences need to act to counteract that.

Well before this decade is over, the NCAA will likely be completely powerless in governing Division I schools -- or at least what we now view as the Power Five conferences (though that term may be dead soon).

What will be interesting is if this alignment between the Big Ten, Pac-12, and ACC will also include an agreement that each conference won't poach schools from other conferences.

I do think Notre Dame has to be sweating a bit. Their power relies on the NCAA having power. The major remaining conferences could very well design a playoff system that doesn't give Notre Dame a seat at the table if they aren't in a conference -- and there would be nothing the NCAA could do about it. And NBC is unlikely to extend their current TV contract if Notre Dame is put into a spot where they can no longer compete for championships.

I have zero faith that Warren knows what a chess piece even looks like, let alone knows how to play. This is going to be interesting.

Last edited:
I have zero faith that Warren knows what a chess piece even looks like, let alone knows how to play. This is going to be interesting.
If Warren tries to push anything through that says the BIG won’t expand by taking teams from the PAC or ACC he should be fired. Plus the university presidents for every school involved would have to on board. I don’t see that being the case. Florida St. and Clemson have to be looking at the SEC. no way they feel happy. I just don’t see anything other than money running this. Is FOX or any company going to agree to pay more so schools like Washington St. can be in?

If Warren tries to push anything through that says the BIG won’t expand by taking teams from the PAC or ACC he should be fired. Plus the university presidents for every school involved would have to on board. I don’t see that being the case. Florida St. and Clemson have to be looking at the SEC. no way they feel happy. I just don’t see anything other than money running this. Is FOX or any company going to agree to pay more so schools like Washington St. can be in?
Exactly…the non SEC conferences want to hold what power they have; however colleges are going to do what they think gives themselves a seat at the biggest money making table, conferences be dammed. Colleges I’m sure are playing every angle possible, and the travel argument is squat.

I believe Texas A&M would jump at the chance to move to the Big Ten to get away from Texas again. The Texas TV market for A&M would be huge. I also believe Tennessee( another huge TV market) would welcome a fresh start in the Big Ten.

WEST
Texas A&M
Nebraska
Illinois
Purdue
Northwestern
Wisconsin
Minnesota
Iowa

EAST
Michigan State
Michigan
Penn State
Tennessee
Indiana
Maryland
Rutgers
Ohio State

Play everyone in your division and one crossover. TV market would go through the roof. Easily compete with the SEC for $$$$

Per bolded, IMO, it is NOT about the schools like "Washington St" but the battle against ESPN and them (FOX) expanding their footprint in CFB, whether that be by "Super Conferences/Alliances" or whatever means necessary, even having a ton of "Washington St" type schools in the fold.

I'd be OK with Washington, USC, Stanford, Oregon and/or Arizona. The rest of the conference doesn't do much for me and in most years doesn't do much for the money making arm of college athletics. We all know that in 2021 that aside from long term viability, the only other thing these guys are looking at is the money.
I'm curious Crab, why Arizona in that scenario? Few TV sets in Tucson and little interest outside of southern AZ for them.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back