• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Sources -- Pac-12, Big Ten, ACC discussing formation of alliance

HuskerWeatherman

Feral Cat
20 Year Member
The Pac-12, Big Ten and ACC have had preliminary discussions about forming an alliance, likely built around scheduling but possibly other areas, sources told ESPN.

Commissioners George Kliavkoff (Pac-12), Kevin Warren (Big Ten) and Jim Phillips (ACC) have been in regular communication, and have also had some in-person discussions. Kliavkoff and Warren were together this week for Rose Bowl meetings. Pac-12 sources said all three commissioners met last week in Chicago.

Specifics of the discussions are not yet known, but Olson reports that the broad goal of the potential alliance is for the three leagues to be in unison when voting on major issues, such as College Football Playoff expansion. The three commissioners have not yet discussed trying to lure the remaining eight Big 12 teams to their respective leagues.

Last edited:

This all sounds great and all but how much of a partnership are they talking? I don’t think anything will happen soon but in the next ten years the PAC and ACC will be in a very similar spot to the Big12. They are so far behind the SEC and BIG ten in revenue already. It’s not like the BIG is going to share that money with them. This will come down to individual programs eventually leaving those conferences for the money.

This all sounds great and all but how much of a partnership are they talking? I don’t think anything will happen soon but in the next ten years the PAC and ACC will be in a very similar spot to the Big12. They are so far behind the SEC and BIG ten in revenue already. It’s not like the BIG is going to share that money with them. This will come down to individual programs eventually leaving those conferences for the money.
The Pac 12 has really fallen behind in football the past several years. Not sure I would align with them right now. It is an outstanding basketball conference, but seems to be regressing in football. ACC seems to have more football power than the Pac 12 imo.

The Pac 12 has really fallen behind in football the past several years. Not sure I would align with them right now. It is an outstanding basketball conference, but seems to be regressing in football. ACC seems to have more football power than the Pac 12 imo.
Like I said individual teams will eventually leave the PAC. Just exactly like what Oklahoma and Texas did. Tge schools that have a big National brand or such a big local following with huge markets. USC is definitely thinking about it already. If USC wants to leave at some point then Oregon and Washington will want out too. The conference is way behind the others.

Pretty much the dumbest idea I’ve ever heard. One month ago the B1G had the highest revenue package in the NCAA and today they still do. Teaming up with lower conferences for scheduling and even worse for pre determined agreements is ridiculous. The very reason we left the BIG 12 is we hated that type of voting and hated it last year with the BIG COVID policies. People need to understand strength in college football is with blood blood programs. Adding a bunch of mid tier teams for a voice doesn’t mean squat.

Pretty much the dumbest idea I’ve ever heard. One month ago the B1G had the highest revenue package in the NCAA and today they still do. Teaming up with lower conferences for scheduling and even worse for pre determined agreements is ridiculous. The very reason we left the BIG 12 is we hated that type of voting and hated it last year with the BIG COVID policies. People need to understand strength in college football is with blood blood programs. Adding a bunch of mid tier teams for a voice doesn’t mean squat.
Yep unfortunately for schools like Colorado and Utah they may get left behind just like the little 8. No one wants the leftover Big 12 schools. Just like no one wants the bottom of either the ACC or PAC.

And give up west coast TV? When TV is the whole point? No. There’s still gold in them thar hills.

Yep unfortunately for schools like Colorado and Utah they may get left behind just like the little 8. No one wants the leftover Big 12 schools. Just like no one wants the bottom of either the ACC or PAC.

The only thing I can think of why they may do this alliance is to get Fox to pay premium dollar for non conference matchups. For example with the alliance Fox could have non conference matchups like:

1. Clemson v. Oregon
2. Ohio State v Miami
3. USC v. Penn State
4. Florida St. v Nebraska
5. Michigan v. UCLA
6. Wisconsin v. Washington

Last edited:
The only thing I can think of why they may do this alliance is to get Fox to pay premium dollar for non conference matchups. For example with the alliance Fox could have non conference matchups like:

1. Clemson v. Oregon
2. Ohio State v Miami
3. UCC v. Penn State
4. Florida St. v Nebraska
5. Michigan v. UCLA
6. Wisconsin v. Washington
I think it’s a short term fix. I don’t see it as a negative. I just believe it won’t solve all the issues that plague the PAC or ACC. This in the end will always be about the money each individual program can get. If the PAC can’t guarantee USC what the BIG can then they will eventually bolt.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back