• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Simone Biles

I think it was the pressure of being called "greatest gymnast of all time" over and over and over again by NBC and other media!

"After the performance I did I just didn’t want to go on," Biles said. (She QUIT)

USA Gymnastics said Biles had withdrawn because of a "medical issue," and would be assessed daily. (Mental Health?)

"Injury, no," she said. "Just a little injury to my pride."

"The Games are taking place under a state of emergency and without spectators, an unprecedented event in the history of the modern Olympics."

No fans in the stadium so it's probably the pressure the media puts on her and what she puts on herself. Her coaches need to be held accountable for a team member deciding not to participate!

Last edited:

Astonishing….

At least to me….

EVERYTHING with today’s athletes seems to be….

“All about me”

I know absolutely nothing about gymnastics but from what I read her withdrawl because her “head wasn’t in it” cost the US and her teammates the gold.

In only the biggest, most prestigious gymnastics event held every four years. I mean does anyone, anywhere in the world except a very, very small amount of people even care about the US national gymnastics championship or the European championship??

That’s blunt and it may be unfair but from what I read, it’s as simple as that.

Man…must be nice….there were a lot of “those days” when my men or mine “heads weren’t in it”…

We soldiered on anyway…

Kerri Strug must be just shaking her head right now saying WTH?

Last edited:
There was a Russian male gymnast that partially tore his Achilles 3 - 4 months ago. He lead his team to a gold medal while not even medically cleared by the team's doctors.

“Greatest female gymnast of all time”

ah….no

not when you do this….

One guy said all she had to do was show up….they would have overlooked everything and given her team the gold based on ”rep” and the rumors she was hurt.

I used to tell my men, 90% of the fight is just showing up…

I guess she just forgot the showing up part and had to take some time for herself.

she absolutely needs to just shut up right now. The more she talks the worse it looks.

And it’ll be very interesting to watch how the press reacts to this because they have painted her is “the greatest of all time” a media darling.

I remember Keri Strug limping down the vault run and just plain gutting out a Gold medal with a totally screwed ankle. Sticking her landing and almost collapsing because of the pain. Literally being carried after the final vault. Made you proud to be an American. The kid had guts!

I guess they don’t teach that part to some US gymnasts anymore.

I’m being really harsh here and I shouldn’t be….But the more this Gal talks the more it just bothers me. The “entitled” talk…. And it’s not just her, it’s so many of these young athletes.

I get that they work very hard at their sport. And the price they pay. But you know what, so does the guy with two kids and a mortgage and two car payments, and his wife works too….And they wonder how they’re going to send those kids to college to ensure their future. Those people work damned hard too. And they show up for the fight every damn day!

Last edited:

ah….no

not when you do this….

One guy said all she had to do was show up….they would have overlooked everything and given her team the gold based on ”rep” and the rumors she was hurt.

I guess she just forgot the showing up part and had to take some time for herself.

she absolutely needs to just shut up right now. The more she talks the worse it looks.

And it’ll be very interesting to watch how the press reacts to this because they have painted her is “the greatest of all time” a media darling.

I remember Keri Strug limping down the vault run and just plain gutting out a Gold medal with a totally screwed ankle. Sticking her landing and almost collapsing because of the pain. Literally being carried after the final vault. Made you proud to be an American. The kid had guts!

I’m being really harsh here and I shouldn’t be….But the more this Gal talks the more it just bothers me. The “entitled” talk…. And it’s not just her, it’s so many of these young athletes.

I get that they work very hard at their sport. And the price they pay. But you know what, so does the guy with two kids and a mortgage and two car payments, and his wife works too….And they wonder how they’re going to send those kids to college to ensure their future. Those people work damned hard too. And they show up for the fight every damn day!

I am happy to see at least a few people feel the way I do about this.

The press is treating it like she is being courageous for choosing her own mental health instead of helping her teammates. Personally I would be upset with her if I was her teammate.

My wife was a gymnast as a youth and did a little competing so we always watch gymnastics. She agrees with me.

From what I can gather watching stuff last night. I would say she basically had a Panic Attack. Now this morning she has pulled out of the individual all around stuff, which is what she should do.

I don't think you are being harsh at all on her. If you are going to be the GOAT than you have to be the GOAT.

Saw these quotes on TWITTER:

"It's now fashionable to be publicly mentally incapable of doing your job....
--Olympic tennis star
--Olympic gymnast
--President of the United States"
And;
"Focus on mental health? What does that even mean? Seriously. Take any athlete in ANY sport, put them on the biggest stage, and they walk off to "focus on their mental health". What do you think the media response would be? The media is fawning over Biles is ridiculous. Somehow they spin this as her greatest triumph, and her most courageous moment. And instead of letting the team down, she saved the team? Really?" How? If Tom Brady walked off in the Super Bowl, and the Patriots lost, how did he save the team? So does this mean every time an MLB player commits an error in the field or strikes out, they should quit the game, focus on their mental health, and "save" their team? And can you even imagine if this had been Tim Tebow? Do you think the media may have treated him a bit differently?

Sorry, but Biles spit the bit on the biggest stage. Choked. It happens. It was not her greatest moment, it was her worst. The courageous thing would have been to hang in and complete the competition. Nobody likes a quitter. And quitting is quitting. Call it what it is. Tell it like it is."

And:
"Fearing defeat, Simone has opted out of competition. Hardly the actions of a true champion. The quitter tag will overshadow her earlier accomplishments."
And:
Biles, considered to be the greatest gymnast of all time
"Stop it. This hyperbolic nonsense is what led to this problem to begin with. Biles believed her own hype.

This is not bravery or courage. She quit and screwed over her team. She also took a spot away from some other deserving young woman. Instead of being in Tokyo, that woman (whoever she is) is sitting at home because of Biles."

:thumbsup:

Last edited:

ah….no

not when you do this….

If Simone mentally wasn't in the right frame of mind to do her routine, she should drop out. But no one should ever consider her the "Greatest female gymnast of all time". She would have better served "the team" if she would have dropped out before boarding the plane for Tokyo.

Simone had said earlier in the week that "She felt as if she was carrying the weight of the world on her shoulders". That tells me she wasn't enjoying the training she was going through to compete in this Olympics. If that was the case, she should have dropped out during the training. That would have been the best thing for her to do to be a good teammate. If not, suck it up and finish the game. Then just walk away from the sport, for at least a while.

I like you pointing out the parents going to work everyday to keep the bills paid. Sometimes, the everyday person is the biggest hero our society will ever see. More than every sports figure.

When your team is down by 1 point, in the game's final drive, 35 yards from the end zone, on 4th down, the kicker at least attempts the field goal. They don't just walk back to the locker room without trying.

Saw these quotes on TWITTER:

"It's now fashionable to be publicly mentally incapable of doing your job....
--Olympic tennis star
--Olympic gymnast
--President of the United States"
And;
"Focus on mental health? What does that even mean? Seriously. Take any athlete in ANY sport, put them on the biggest stage, and they walk off to "focus on their mental health". What do you think the media response would be? The media is fawning over Biles is ridiculous. Somehow they spin this as her greatest triumph, and her most courageous moment. And instead of letting the team down, she saved the team? Really?" How? If Tom Brady walked off in the Super Bowl, and the Patriots lost, how did he save the team? So does this mean every time an MLB player commits an error in the field or strikes out, they should quit the game, focus on their mental health, and "save" their team? And can you even imagine if this had been Tim Tebow? Do you think the media may have treated him a bit differently?

Sorry, but Biles spit the bit on the biggest stage. Choked. It happens. It was not her greatest moment, it was her worst. The courageous thing would have been to hang in and complete the competition. Nobody likes a quitter. And quitting is quitting. Call it what it is. Tell it like it is."

And:
"Fearing defeat, Simone has opted out of competition. Hardly the actions of a true champion. The quitter tag will overshadow her earlier accomplishments."
And:

"Stop it. This hyperbolic nonsense is what led to this problem to begin with. Biles believed her own hype.

This is not bravery or courage. She quit and screwed over her team. She also took a spot away from some other deserving young woman. Instead of being in Tokyo, that woman (whoever she is) is sitting at home because of Biles."

:thumbsup:
Go look up the term "the twisties" with reference to gymnasts. Then tell me if your opinion is any different.
Imagine running full speed, hers as I am assuming yours is drastically lower, throwing yourself into flips and turns in mid air and not being able to judge your bearings.

Edit: for reference - https://www.yahoo.com/news/frightening-phenomenon-simone-biles-experienced-121313274.html

Sounds like an F1 driver suddenly having vertigo on a road course. More of a matter of safety than being soft.

Last edited:
Sure don't know what is like to be her, but in my opinion she quit on her team. Good luck to her in the future.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back