• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Locked due to no posts in 60 days. Report 1st post if need unlocked Shawn Eichorst, the Invisible AD

Status
Not open for further replies.
He's going to have to be more vocal with the media moving forward. I'm not saying he has to do a 180, but he definitely cannot keep this style forever. His silence during the 2nd half of the football season did more harm than good.

I wish I'd heard more during the season, too. But just to play devil's advocate, isn't there a sound reason for the policy (that many ADs have) to make public comments only after a season? Let's say he made an exception this time and in, say, October, gave the OWH a strong expression of support for Bo's future at UNL. That would have quieted some of the fires this time. But then in future seasons he would either have to offer a similar expression for a coach or the media would immediately assume that the coach is on the hot seat. Conversely, if he sticks to the current policy he doesn't set a precedent that could come back to haunt him in the future.

I'm not an AD, or anything close to it, but I like the idea of clear and consistent policies, and it seems to me that SE was doing exactly that here. Even better -- he weathered the storm by resisting public pressure to make a statement. I think that says a lot about his steadfastness, even though the silence made me personally uncomfortable.

I'm not excusing Pelini's conduct….was merely stating the AD could have made a statement that put an end to the speculation that was very obviously getting under Bo's skin. As for Eichorst, he is in a new position and deserves some time to figure out this place isn't like any other stop on his resume. I think he'll do a fine job. I just happen to think being largely invisible shortchanges the stakeholders of the program. Nebraska fans WANT to hear from the person holding that position……probably more than they want to hear from the Governor….what's his name…...

I think we agree on a lot of these issues (good discussion, by the way), though as I mention in another post on this page, I think agreeing to comment during the season potentially opens a can of worms for future seasons. I'm a time zone away from campus so I don't really have a sense for how visible he is locally. BRL's link in post #12 gave me some hope, though, that he is stepping up to the plate more than I thought. No idea about the governor these days. Thone? :eek:

Here's a recent article on his first 365 days. https://huskeralum.org/campus-news/...ontent/a-look-back-at-year-one-shawn-eichorst

Apparently he hasn't been that invisible:

Fast forward 365 days, and it's readily apparent what "immersed in everything Nebraska" means to Shawn Eichorst.
In that time span he has made 173 appearances – almost one every other day, including 146 in state and 27 out of state. He has met with the campus senior administrative team and every dean and director on campus as well as donors, alumni, Nebraskans, season ticket holders and members of the media across the state and nation.

"The one thing I always hear from alumni who've met Shawn is how approachable and genuine he is," said Diane Mendenhall, executive director of the Nebraska Alumni Association. "Shawn has been very generous with his time at our alumni events. We're so happy to have him as a Husker."

Eichorst's predecessor, Tom Osborne, said, "Shawn has worked hard to meet people throughout the state and the university and has developed a good understanding of some of the unique aspects of Nebraska and the athletic program."

Building dedications, ribbon cuttings, athletic tributes, graduation ceremonies, award banquets, campus activities, Big Ten meetings and more have filled the pages of his calendar. He started semi-monthly Connecting on Campus columns for Husker fans and has completed 12 monthly radio shows, with a guest coach or expert and student-athlete accompanying him each time, predominantly from under-publicized sports.

This just shows that the majority of us on this board have no idea what we are talking about. Perception is not always reality.

C

I think an AD should be like a referee. If they never make headlines, they are doing a good job.

I'm not excusing Pelini's conduct….was merely stating the AD could have made a statement that put an end to the speculation that was very obviously getting under Bo's skin. As for Eichorst, he is in a new position and deserves some time to figure out this place isn't like any other stop on his resume. I think he'll do a fine job. I just happen to think being largely invisible shortchanges the stakeholders of the program. Nebraska fans WANT to hear from the person holding that position……probably more than they want to hear from the Governor….what's his name…...

I don't see the below as being largely invisible.

He started semi-monthly Connecting on Campus columns for Husker fans and has completed 12 monthly radio shows, with a guest coach or expert and student-athlete accompanying him each time, predominantly from under-publicized sports.

C

I think an AD should be like a referee. If they never make headlines, they are doing a good job.

That is a good statement. I would also add if I may, that things are probably going smoothly in the Athletic Department on the whole.

I think we agree on a lot of these issues (good discussion, by the way), though as I mention in another post on this page, I think agreeing to comment during the season potentially opens a can of worms for future seasons. I'm a time zone away from campus so I don't really have a sense for how visible he is locally. BRL's link in post #12 gave me some hope, though, that he is stepping up to the plate more than I thought. No idea about the governor these days. Thone? :eek:

I agree with you. I appreciate the civil conversation, by the way.

This just shows that the majority of us on this board have no idea what we are talking about. Perception is not always reality.

C

That's very true. I'm often in that majority. Until I read that article, I was under the impression that SE kept a very low profile. I'm not sure what's common in terms of a travel or public appearances for AD's, but it seems like SE is out and about plenty.

I can't recall, did we ever approach Barry Alvarez for the AD position? I feel like he would love to jump ship with a raise to go back to his alma mater.

I can't recall, did we ever approach Barry Alvarez for the AD position? I feel like he would love to jump ship with a raise to go back to his alma mater.

I have no source to quote, but my understanding is that we approached him for advice and he urged us to consider SE.

You would have to ask HP if he approached Alvarez.

Alvarez pretty much built Wisconsin athletics and has it pretty good.

Going home again isn't always what it's cracked up to be.

Last edited:

Here's a recent article on his first 365 days. https://huskeralum.org/campus-news/...ontent/a-look-back-at-year-one-shawn-eichorst

Apparently he hasn't been that invisible:

Fast forward 365 days, and it's readily apparent what "immersed in everything Nebraska" means to Shawn Eichorst.
In that time span he has made 173 appearances – almost one every other day, including 146 in state and 27 out of state. He has met with the campus senior administrative team and every dean and director on campus as well as donors, alumni, Nebraskans, season ticket holders and members of the media across the state and nation.

"The one thing I always hear from alumni who've met Shawn is how approachable and genuine he is," said Diane Mendenhall, executive director of the Nebraska Alumni Association. "Shawn has been very generous with his time at our alumni events. We're so happy to have him as a Husker."

Eichorst's predecessor, Tom Osborne, said, "Shawn has worked hard to meet people throughout the state and the university and has developed a good understanding of some of the unique aspects of Nebraska and the athletic program."

Building dedications, ribbon cuttings, athletic tributes, graduation ceremonies, award banquets, campus activities, Big Ten meetings and more have filled the pages of his calendar. He started semi-monthly Connecting on Campus columns for Husker fans and has completed 12 monthly radio shows, with a guest coach or expert and student-athlete accompanying him each time, predominantly from under-publicized sports.

Excellent post and thanks for the info!! Seems like some might be judging SE with little to no information at hand….. Give the man some time! Lets remember TO was highly visible because he was a HOF coach, a living icon and the circumstances he was thrust into. SE's transition into AD was managed very well imo. If we get the results we want he can stay behind the scenes far as I'm concerned although as this article points out…….. he's doing his job and is well liked.

Last edited:

I wish I'd heard more during the season, too. But just to play devil's advocate, isn't there a sound reason for the policy (that many ADs have) to make public comments only after a season? Let's say he made an exception this time and in, say, October, gave the OWH a strong expression of support for Bo's future at UNL. That would have quieted some of the fires this time. But then in future seasons he would either have to offer a similar expression for a coach or the media would immediately assume that the coach is on the hot seat. Conversely, if he sticks to the current policy he doesn't set a precedent that could come back to haunt him in the future.

I'm not an AD, or anything close to it, but I like the idea of clear and consistent policies, and it seems to me that SE was doing exactly that here. Even better -- he weathered the storm by resisting public pressure to make a statement. I think that says a lot about his steadfastness, even though the silence made me personally uncomfortable.
You make a very valid point... its definitely noble and smart to stick to your policies, etc... I just think at Nebraska, he'll need to speak up a little more than he's used to. Might take us all some time to adapt to his style, but hopefully he adapts to Nebraska' style too. I think he's going to be a solid AD at Nebraska when all is said and done.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back