• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Locked due to no posts in 60 days. Report 1st post if need unlocked Shawn Eichorst, the Invisible AD

Status
Not open for further replies.

It's going to be interesting to see if that approach works at DONU. He has already had a situation where speaking up and asserting himself could have averted the mess leading up to and following the Iowa game.

It's going to be interesting to see if that approach works at DONU. He has already had a situation where speaking up and asserting himself could have averted the mess leading up to and following the Iowa game.

The approach will take time to get used too. I really don't think he was in Miami long enough to draw any conclusions from. Hopefully both the fans and the media will learn to stay patient. (i.e. the Iowa game)

I really don't know myself what to think of his approach.

Dave Brandon at Michigan is the exact opposite of SE. He is everywhere, and is always talking to the press. He even runs onto the field with the football team. However, he took a HUGE paycut (roughly $2M) to become UofM's AD as he was the CEO of Domino's Pizza before moving across town to the U.

To me the perfect balance would be right in between. Wasn't Dr. Tom like that?

I respect this perspective. However, given the way it all played out, we don't know that the AD and Bo were not communicating. Nor do we know the content of their conversations prior to Iowa. To say that SE "could have averted the mess" also draws attention away from the choices the coach made that day, both on the field and with the media. Plenty of coaches over the years in college football have dealt with an uncertain future with class and restraint. BP did not. In fact, coach has had meltdowns in other situations when his job appeared to be secure.

Personally, I wish that SE were more visible, but his style is apparently what HP wanted for NU at this time and place. Plus, he came with high recommendations from the Wisconsin folks, especially Alvarez. I'd like to give him a few more years in the job before assessing his long-term performance, and I hope HP will, too. :gobigred:

Dave Brandon at Michigan is the exact opposite of SE. He is everywhere, and is always talking to the press. He even runs onto the field with the football team. However, he took a HUGE paycut (roughly $2M) to become UofM's AD as he was the CEO of Domino's Pizza before moving across town to the U.

To me the perfect balance would be right in between. Wasn't Dr. Tom like that?

Dr. Tom was more like Boo Radley.

Just my opinion, but I think that someone who is in such a high profile job needs to be more visible than he has been. But I agree with post #8 that we need to give him more time before assessing his long-term performance.

Just my opinion, but I think that someone who is in such a high profile job needs to be more visible than he has been. But I agree with post #8 that we need to give him more time before assessing his long-term performance.

Visibility in leadership role is important in my opinion. Who knows? Maybe he was visible to those inside the program, though it sure didn't appear so from the outside.

Here's a recent article on his first 365 days. https://huskeralum.org/campus-news/...ontent/a-look-back-at-year-one-shawn-eichorst

Apparently he hasn't been that invisible:

Fast forward 365 days, and it's readily apparent what "immersed in everything Nebraska" means to Shawn Eichorst.
In that time span he has made 173 appearances – almost one every other day, including 146 in state and 27 out of state. He has met with the campus senior administrative team and every dean and director on campus as well as donors, alumni, Nebraskans, season ticket holders and members of the media across the state and nation.

"The one thing I always hear from alumni who've met Shawn is how approachable and genuine he is," said Diane Mendenhall, executive director of the Nebraska Alumni Association. "Shawn has been very generous with his time at our alumni events. We're so happy to have him as a Husker."

Eichorst's predecessor, Tom Osborne, said, "Shawn has worked hard to meet people throughout the state and the university and has developed a good understanding of some of the unique aspects of Nebraska and the athletic program."

Building dedications, ribbon cuttings, athletic tributes, graduation ceremonies, award banquets, campus activities, Big Ten meetings and more have filled the pages of his calendar. He started semi-monthly Connecting on Campus columns for Husker fans and has completed 12 monthly radio shows, with a guest coach or expert and student-athlete accompanying him each time, predominantly from under-publicized sports.

Last edited:

He's going to have to be more vocal with the media moving forward. I'm not saying he has to do a 180, but he definitely cannot keep this style forever. His silence during the 2nd half of the football season did more harm than good.

Last edited:

I respect this perspective. However, given the way it all played out, we don't know that the AD and Bo were not communicating. Nor do we know the content of their conversations prior to Iowa. To say that SE "could have averted the mess" also draws attention away from the choices the coach made that day, both on the field and with the media. Plenty of coaches over the years in college football have dealt with an uncertain future with class and restraint. BP did not. In fact, coach has had meltdowns in other situations when his job appeared to be secure.

I'm not excusing Pelini's conduct….was merely stating the AD could have made a statement that put an end to the speculation that was very obviously getting under Bo's skin. As for Eichorst, he is in a new position and deserves some time to figure out this place isn't like any other stop on his resume. I think he'll do a fine job. I just happen to think being largely invisible shortchanges the stakeholders of the program. Nebraska fans WANT to hear from the person holding that position……probably more than they want to hear from the Governor….what's his name…...

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back