• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Shatel gets Ted Carter on the record

Instead of counting how many posts someone has let’s not focus on HCSF and his dismal record because then we’d have to count him as a loser

Should the Board of Regents be involved? The Governor? The Legislature? Should there be a referendum? Yes, the AD should consult with at least the Chancellor, and yes, the Chancellor needs to approve the hire. But Green hired Alberts because he trusted his expertise. He should be given the space to do his work without a lot of BS interference.

Edit: Part of the reason we're in this mess is because a UNL Chancellor thought he knew football.

Short version:

Stay in your lane.

Our administration has always been waaay too involved in the football program. You hire an AD and let him do his job. I understand the power of booster and such, but the President has no business answering of-the-cuff questions from reporters about the fate of the current football coach. It reeks of dysfunction.
No it reeks of " I'm tired of this affecting the whole University and I wish Trev would get this done, i.e. the firing that everyone knows is coming except apparently Scott".

No it reeks of " I'm tired of this affecting the whole University and I wish Trev would get this done, i.e. the firing that everyone knows is coming except apparently Scott".

How is this 'effecting the whole University'?

I'm serious.

I want to win. I'm tired of losing. It doesn't really change much for the University unless you're mid '90's winning.

Please explain.

Should the Board of Regents be involved? The Governor? The Legislature? Should there be a referendum? Yes, the AD should consult with at least the Chancellor, and yes, the Chancellor needs to approve the hire. But Green hired Alberts because he trusted his expertise. He should be given the space to do his work without a lot of BS interference.

Edit: Part of the reason we're in this mess is because a UNL Chancellor thought he knew football.
I'm sure there is a chain of command to follow written in the charter of U of Nebraska. I'm pretty sure the governor nor legislature is involved that COC or with hiring and firing football coaches. Lets remember TA bosses will ultimately answer for poor decisions such as parting with 20 million and hiring a new HC! I might add they should be held accountable imo. You can bet TA knew ALL the rules and how things are structured when he took the job as our new AD. Bottom line TA has mostly learned where to park his car and is still learning all the nuances of his AD position. Again I'm pretty sure TA has a lot of freedom to do what he ultimately decides about HCSF future. I will say again he will not be making that decision in a vacuum nor should he imo.

Last edited:

How is this 'effecting the whole University'?

I'm serious.

I want to win. I'm tired of losing. It doesn't really change much for the University unless you're mid '90's winning.

Please explain.
The ups and especially the downs of Husker football impacts:
-Overall fund raising for DONU
-enrollment
-Attitude of the legislature towards the University
-Attitude of the city of Lincoln towards the University

For better or for worse the Husker football team is the National Image of DONU.
That's what I can think of for starters.

Last edited:
The ups and especially the downs of Husker football impacts:
-Overall fund raising for DONU
-enrollment
-Attitude of the legislature towards the University
-Attitude of the city of Lincoln towards the University

For better or for worse the Husker football team is the National Image of DONU.
That's what I can think of for starters.

I think it's importance is more closely tied to 'us', the fans, the players and the alumni's bragging rights than it does any of the things you listed. The legislature? I can't buy that at all.

It's not impact less, but it's a gross exaggeration to say our lack of football success is hurting the university beyond the financial impact on game days. Less money spent by travelers, no bowl travel, etc.

I think it's importance is more closely tied to 'us', the fans, the players and the alumni's bragging rights than it does any of the things you listed. The legislature? I can't buy that at all.

It's not impact less, but it's a gross exaggeration to say our lack of football success is hurting the university beyond the financial impact on game days. Less money spent by travelers, no bowl travel, etc.
I will politely disagree.

When I travel wearing my Husker gear, people don't ask about our Physics Department :).

But donors to the Physics department are more inclined to do so because of pride in the success of the University witch often comes back athletics: football, volleyball, now a little baseball.

And yes it affects how the Unicameral votes because in Nebraska voters ar Husker fans and the State representatives know that. Voting against things that impact the University is thus frowned on, even if its Physics and not football.

Because who knows, our next 5* QB recruit might just be a Physics major :).

GBR

Last edited:

1635985631166.png

I will politely disagree.

When I travel wearing my Husker gear, people don't ask about our Physics Department :).

But donors to the Physics department are more inclined to do so because of pride in the success of the University witch often comes back athletics: football, volleyball, now a little baseball.

And yes it affects how the Unicameral votes because in Nebraska voters ar Husker fans and the State representatives know that. Voting against things that impact the University is thus frowned on, even if its Physics and not football.

Because who knows, our next 5* QB recruit might just be a Physics major :).

GBR

That's fine, but I think you're still off base.

Your Husker gear IS athletic gear, unless you wear a 'HUSKER PHYSICS!' sweatshirt.

We're in totally different books, not just on different pages.

Academia and athletics aren't even on the same shelf in the library.

People who donate to the Physics Department give zero craps about the football team.

Now I'd love to see a 5 star Husker QB who understands physics at a very high level. It would be awesome.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back