• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Shatel gets Ted Carter on the record

My initial reaction was that he's trying to appease fans so they'll show up...but what do I know.

It is strange. Hank Bounds set a bad precedent by butting into athletics issues and making himself prominent during coaching and AD changes. System Presidents almost never get involved in campus issues because that's not their role, and they risk undermining their Chancellors by interfering. It's possible that Ronnie Green asked Bounds, and now Carter, to be involved, in which case that's not as problematic.

Yeah, you could argue that even Ronnie Green should not be involved.
They are totally going to be involved at a place like this they just shouldn't say so in advance. If there's a change, the AD should announce it and only in rrsponse t a question say something like, "Of course the Chancellor and President were informed" or whatever.

At Nebraska it's simply to important for them not to be involved.

"A decision hasn't been made" is code for "a decision has been made, but we won't announce it for a few weeks yet because it would be poor form."

If Frost was returning, the President wouldn't have even conceded that there was a decision to be made.
It would seem that way though on the other hand the powers that be may be thinking similarly to a lot of fans--if he pulls off a couple upsets maybe he stays longer. It may come down to what it looks like on the field over these next few weeks.

It would seem that way though on the other hand the powers that be may be thinking similarly to a lot of fans--if he pulls off a couple upsets maybe he stays longer. It may come down to what it looks like on the field over these next few weeks.
I'll go on the record and say I think he goes out the same way he came in: 0-6

My initial reaction was that he's trying to appease fans so they'll show up...but what do I know.
I'm not sure what to think either. Maybe he senses that fan apathy is bordering on critical, and the stands could start to be a little more empty, and he wanted to let them know that they are paying attention to the product on the field. But he could just keep it short and say that "Trev will do an evaluation of the program at the end of the season", and leave it at that. I would think if Frost can beat Wisconsin and Iowa, he could be brought back for a 5th year, so i don't think a decision has yet been made. Whatever Carter intended with his comments, it will probably cause increased scrutiny on Frost's job status, a distraction that neither Frost nor the players need right now.....

They are totally going to be involved at a place like this they just shouldn't say so in advance. If there's a change, the AD should announce it and only in rrsponse t a question say something like, "Of course the Chancellor and President were informed" or whatever.

At Nebraska it's simply to important for them not to be involved.

I certainly agree that the AD needs to keep the Chancellor at least in the loop. I guess what I'm objecting to is people who know very little about athletics inserting themselves into the process, either substantively (which they absolutely lack the expertise for) or visually (which risks undermining the AD).

I do find it a little strange that the system President is making comments. It's not uncommon for Chancellor's to talk athletics, but I don't recall L. Dennis Smith dropping quotes back in the Osborne Solich days.
How many phone calls, text messages, emails and questions do you think Carter has gotten about the “direction of the program” these last few weeks? 5,000? 10,000? 50,000? I’m surprised dude hasn’t said something earlier.

How many phone calls, text messages, emails and questions do you think Carter has gotten about the “direction of the program” these last few weeks? 5,000? 10,000? 50,000? I’m surprised dude hasn’t said something earlier.

The rank-and-file fans don't know Ted Carter from Ted Danson. These guys also aren't publishing mobile numbers any chucklehead can call or text 24/7. Trev probably gets a crap-ton of emails but an associate AD responds.

Last edited:
I certainly agree that the AD needs to keep the Chancellor at least in the loop. I guess what I'm objecting to is people who know very little about athletics inserting themselves into the process, either substantively (which they absolutely lack the expertise for) or visually (which risks undermining the AD).
When a very serious multi million dollar decision is made you can bet it's discussed at the highest level. I doubt an AD is going to have the final say on handing out 20 million so a coach can be fired. Have no problem with what Carter said.

When a very serious multi million dollar decision is made you can bet it's discussed at the highest level. I doubt an AD is going to have the final say on handing out 20 million so a coach can be fired. Have no problem with what Carter said.
Good point. And Carter was very direct in the article that it will be a "consensus" decision, and not Trev's alone to make.....

Should the Board of Regents be involved? The Governor? The Legislature? Should there be a referendum? Yes, the AD should consult with at least the Chancellor, and yes, the Chancellor needs to approve the hire. But Green hired Alberts because he trusted his expertise. He should be given the space to do his work without a lot of BS interference.

Edit: Part of the reason we're in this mess is because a UNL Chancellor thought he knew football.

Last edited:

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back