• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Series recommendations?

Watched the first few episodes of Sugar and was enjoying it but now have to wait for new episodes :(

Now I’m waiting on Yellowstone, 1923, One Piece, Twisted Metal, Three Body Problem, Stranger Things, The Last of Us, House of Dragons etc etc etc. I liked it better when this was normal for me, now I’m spoiled and don’t want to wait between seasons.

Whiplash is an incredible movie. All the leads were great, but Simmons in particular hit it out of the park. I also loaded the soundtrack to my MP3, great music.

We had the opposite scenario at our house.

After reading reviews I decided to give the movie a shot. Mrs. S and I were about a half hour in when our son came in. After about 15 minutes he was asking "what is this movie, it's so intense?"
"what is that actors name?"

We all really enjoyed the film.

“We Were Making Music”: JK Simmons Reflects On Whiplash’s Ending & Still Gets Goosebumps 10 Years Later

I'm getting goosebumpy, as I do every time I talk about that or think about that. Miles, in our press tour, said it's a lot easier to be exhausted than to act exhausted. I think both of us, by the time we filmed that sequence, there was this combination of exhaustion and elation. I had no clue at all that it would be as impactful as it was.

I knew we were making something great, but I had made a lot of little indie films that I thought were really good before that, and most of them were never seen widely. But it was an absolute joy. We worked so fast. And it was such a treat, because I never did have the talent to be a professional musician. But I have enough, and I learned partly from my father, who was a musician, a choir conductor and college music administrator. But I was actually conducting those scores. I actually read the music and I knew what I was doing. All the actors you saw playing those musicians actually played those instruments, some of them at a more rudimentary level and some of them quite well. You're hearing the best pros in Hollywood on the soundtrack. But we were making music. We were playing Duke Ellington, we were playing 'Whiplash'.

Last edited:
Watched the first few episodes of Sugar and was enjoying it but now have to wait for new episodes :(

Now I’m waiting on Yellowstone, 1923, One Piece, Twisted Metal, Three Body Problem, Stranger Things, The Last of Us, House of Dragons etc etc etc. I liked it better when this was normal for me, now I’m spoiled and don’t want to wait between seasons.

I'd never really watched series until a few years back the wife talked me into watching 'Breaking Bad'. It had ended years before, so we could stream a show or two any night we wanted. We did the same with several other series I'd heard people talk about for years and, like you, I'm not caught up no a couple we actually like.

The Waiting is the hardest part.

I honestly liked 1883 and 1923 better than Yellowstone.

Might be that I think Costner is a horses ass has something to do with that, but maybe not.
I don't mind him typically. I didn't like the daughter or "step-son" in YS. I didn't think their appearances or dialogue were great. Casey was great though.

I don't mind him typically. I didn't like the daughter or "step-son" in YS. I didn't think their appearances or dialogue were great. Casey was great though.

I've always been a Kelly Riley fan, but 'Beth' took a bit to grown on me. Rip? Yeah, I thought he was a bit stiff.

Agree on Luke Grimes. He's been good in pretty much everything I've seen him in.

I'm 3 episodes into 'Bodkin'

I had low expectations, but its better than I expected.
Suspenseful and acerbically humorous.
Will Forte was difficult to take seriously at first, since his characters are normally just caricatures, but he is fun to watch in this, but that may just because he's surrounded by some gritty and entertaining characters

Last edited:
I've always been a Kelly Riley fan, but 'Beth' took a bit to grown on me. Rip? Yeah, I thought he was a bit stiff.

Agree on Luke Grimes. He's been good in pretty much everything I've seen him in.
Rip was ok, I meant Jamie.

Beth had her moments, but it was so all over. One minute she's an alcoholic basically, then she "gives it up" to work, but then she's right back at it. Just never grew on me.

Because we're headed to Montana for the summer. I talked my wife into watching Yellowstone (I'm rewatching). The second go 'round it's just as impressive as the first. The whole package is top shelf stuff, IMO, beginning with the writing. The cast, locations, music, it's all quality. Taylor Sheridan doesn't seem to be able to do much wrong over his entire body of work. The one aspect we both struggle with is the gratuitous, excessive violence. Personally, I have to overlook the worse parts and keep telling myself that it's just a work of fiction. I think when it comes to portrayals of violence, less is more, in every case.

I've seen that Sheridan's spec/ops thriller, Lioness, has been renewed for a second season. Another home run, if you folks haven't watched season one, it is another top quality production, top to bottom.

I don't know if it was mentioned but if you like Billy Bob Thornton the series Goliath is really good. Especially season 1. I think it started in 2016 and ran until 2020 with 4 seasons. My wife and I enjoyed it.

The most recent season of Fargo was fantastic. I've enjoyed all of them, but this one had such a powerful ending. I love how they weave some unexplained things into the historical drama.

Finished first season of Reacher. It just OK. The lead actor was the weak link. Is Reacher supposed to have Asperger's? I think he is just supposed to be a hard dude, but he came across as stiff and autistic.

The best thing we've watched recently is Foundation, on Apple TV, based on Asimov's scifi novels. Its very epic in scope. Very thought-provoking and unpredictable. I can't believe a series I've already read can be such unpredictable TV.

I’m currently getting through Santa Clarita Diet, some mindless zombie fun with Timothy Olyphant and Drew Barrymore. Not your typical Olyphant role but I think he does a pretty good job of putting Raylan Givens out of your head.

I honestly liked 1883 and 1923 better than Yellowstone.

Might be that I think Costner is a horses ass has something to do with that, but maybe not.

About 3 years into YS series I kept hearing about how great the show was so not wanting to be a loser I decided to give it a try. I watched like the first 3 episodes of year 1 and all I kept thinking was that it was "Dallas" reincarnated as rich ranchers in Montana with some nudity and a lot of swearing mixed in for good measure. I haven't watched any more of it. I didn't watch Dallas either. I liked both 1883 and 1923 better than Yellowstone.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back