• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Sellout streak lives to fight another day

If it came to an end, it may give Frost a good shake. On the other hand, it continues the high revenue for the program and continues the path to a potential buyout. Carriker said to slow down with that talk but IMO, it is put up or shut up time. No more excuses and Frost needs to do something special after a complete flop at Illinois. Something REALLY special like a win against Oklahoma or Ohio State. I don't see it happening. Do another stadium expansion... $20M is a lot of tickets.

Last edited:

I bet at least 5000 empty seats
We’ve seen plenty of empty seats during non conference games for decades, especially when playing directional universities in less than favorable weather. Toss in Covid and the number of people staying out of crowds, and it’s just not that out of the ordinary. I don’t think people staying home would be much different if we’d win last Saturday by 2 TDs. It’s a less than exciting opponent and Delta is on people’s minds.

We just had a meeting today and a conference I’m supposed to go to in Hawaii next month has had 80 people out of 240 cancel in the last 6 days. People staying home is less about last week’s game than it is about the other factors.

What a paper tiger the sell out streak is.

Seems the bulk of the unsold, available tickets were some 2600 returned by Fordham, who apparently could sell only 400 of the required 3000 allotment from the home team.

Such returns have always occurred from some of our lesser opponents. It's just that in the past, they got purchased by Husker fans...or occasionally corporate entities. No such interest this time, I guess.

You do know that all through the years like this game, most of the tickets that were available were tickets sent back by the Fordam Fans that don't want to come here. In the past those tickets have been bought up by someone to help out.

As long as it is a chance to help the kids or anyone else that can't make it to a game I have no problem with it!
Just to tie these together, in the past, the standard allotment that was given to the visiting team was considered sold. Trev says he's counting it differently, and if they return their tickets, they need to be (re)sold. So by traditional standards, this was a regular sellout without any donor intervention needed, it's just that we've upped the requirements, and then the appetite wasn't there for the usual extra buys where people were waiting in the wings for second chances.

So supporting Nebraska football is only meaningful if we're winning?

I get it that we're all disappointed and the streak hasn't been 100% fan purchases for a while, but I don't think it's meaningless.
Of course not, no one else can claim anything even remotely close to it!

Some of you are pretty pathetic. Miserable people will always be miserable, even in times of celebration. I think it's great that these kids will get to go, even if it was intended to keep the sellout streak alive. I also don't care how much the donors paid. Those complaining should have offered up full price if it bothers you so much.

When I see people respond like this, I know we are not the greatest fans in college football. We are probably some of the worst. Get over yourselves and stop being so critical and offended by every single little thing they do down there.

Some of you are pretty pathetic. Miserable people will always be miserable, even in times of celebration. I think it's great that these kids will get to go, even if it was intended to keep the sellout streak alive. I also don't care how much the donors paid. Those complaining should have offered up full price if it bothers you so much.

When I see people respond like this, I know we are not the greatest fans in college football. We are probably some of the worst. Get over yourselves and stop being so critical and offended by every single little thing they do down there.
Marines do think alike. Your thoughts are exactly mine on this subject.

The sell out streak is OK I guess but it's hard to be proud of a propped up achievement.

The sell out streak is about Nebraska supporting the team win lose or draw and coming out in force to see the team we love no matter what. Is that what's really happening? No.

What's happening now isn't that. It's some rich people manipulating the truth so we can have a record on paper. Technically it's real but it doesn't really mean what we pretend it means.

If they gave every extra ticket to kids and those kids filled every empty seat I could change my mind but most of those tickets go in the trash.

If nobody showed up and Warren Buffet bought all the tickets we could claim another sellout but it would be clear to the world that it's a hollow record.

If it makes everyone feel good, go for it. I'm not advocating for it to end. Just don't kid yourself that it means something more than it is.

Last edited:

Used to mean something when there were about 15-20 bowl games. Now a days if you don't make a bowl game you are definitely a terrible program. And to strive for a a bowl game invite is so much Kansas, Kansas St., and Baylor.
You left out Nebraska in your list, who by the way, would go 1-2 against that group (and possibly 0-3)

Lol, look at the stuff we will invent to justify the sell out streak being saved by donors. "Underprivileged youth" attending a football game all of a sudden is a priority in 2021?

Lol, riiiiiiiight.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back