• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Scott Frost and the transfer portal

I agree with that. I don’t think any P5 QB who has started would come to NU next year. And rather than deciding not too look this past year for a backup, they probably looked and struck out.
On a slightly different point, Smothers doesn’t look that bad to me. agree tiny sample size. If AM was hurt (something always takes away half of our plays, you know) I don’t understand why we didn’t try one or two series with with Smothers and the discarded plays.
I will never understand that given what Martinez has shown us all. Hell, if I’m Logan, I’m leaving if Martinez comes back, straight up.

CFH makes a great point here, the drop off between AM and the other two must be pretty significant for the above mentioned event to have happened. Back in the "good old days", if Jerry Tagge was injured(or just not playing well)the Bobfather had no hesitation replacing him with Van Brownson, and vice versa. Of course, in todays game, Van or Jerry would have hit the portal after the '69 season.
Anyone think Frost might be able to steal his old QB Milton away from an underperforming Florida State?
Van Brownson? That’s your comparison you want to run with? A guy who was in a neck and neck battle to start through nearly all his varsity years, who is in the Huskers Hall of Fame and drafted into the NFL, that’s the guy you point to as an example of Bob Devaney not being afraid to go to the bench? Do you think all our coaches have had that kind of luxury? Or should we ask Zac Taylor, Taylor Martinez, Brook Berringer, Turner Gill, or Eric Crouch if they were feeling close to 100% when their coaches trotted them out.

Concerning the QB's being capable, I'm curious, what do you base that conclusion on? It can't be game experience. And, I'm assuming you don't watch them practice. And, Frost significantly paired down the Offense and started an injured QB vs Minny instead of trying one of these QBs on the roster. Are you just assuming a big leap in ability between now and next fall?
I base it on in game performance and spring game performance. The fact that SF never put LS in when AM was struggling is baffling.

I base it on in game performance and spring game performance. The fact that SF never put LS in when AM was struggling is baffling.
I agree with at least putting in LS for a couple of drives to see how he responds. But, it sounds like Frost has set his mind that AM is playing no matter what, regardless of how many mistakes he makes or what his completion percentage is. I hope that doesn't mean that LS looks that bad in practice...... :oops:

I agree with at least putting in LS for a couple of drives to see how he responds. But, it sounds like Frost has set his mind that AM is playing no matter what, regardless of how many mistakes he makes or what his completion percentage is. I hope that doesn't mean that LS looks that bad in practice...... :oops:
In today's presser Frost said Smothers is running fine and knows the playbook. His passing improves every practice. He just needs experience. Never was asked how Smothers is supposed to get experience sitting on the bench.

Remember, the same thing happened in year 1 and 2. Then people saw the backup play wall against McCaff play well against OSU and nearly lead a comeback. Then, all of a sudden he was the starter. I am sure that, based on those games, SF was not going to pull AM. McCaff came in agains OSU as basically a RB.

That is why I think everyone is so upset. Only 2 things could happen. LS plays poorly and we realize that the QB room has not developed, or 2) LS plays well enough that people wonder what Scott has been thinking for the last 2 years. Resulting in some people to question his ability to identify talent. About 2 months ago I made a thread pointing out that Prochazka, and Luvotzky looked like the best OL. One turned out to start and Nuoli ended up starting too. I also stated that Yant looked like the best RB. He probably is the best RB (I really hope he stays). I also said Clements looked like the best LB, luckily Henrich and Reimer have really played well lately. These are obvious moments where it looked like Frost was unable to see the talent right in front of him.

At that same time I said LS looked like the better QB. I acknowledged he likely had less upside but the floor was far higher.

I don't see why Martinez would go. He's not going to the NFL. He's going to want another shot at redemption.

I think the CULTURE Frost has built, in aspects both deliberately and unintentionally, and for better and for worse, is that Martinez is the starter as long as he is enrolled.

Bringing in a transfer QB would be a shock to that. Might be a good shock, and arguably the culture shouldn't have been built to make it so shocking in the first place, but it would still be a shock.

If Frost finds himself still employed when transfer season comes along, my bet is he will still stick with Martinez, and not look for a QB who might actually be a replacement.

But maybe I'm wrong and Frost will say it's going to be win or go home, so he has to at least create options.

If Frost gets another year, I won't care if Martinez or all his QBs have bad years or get hurt or whatever. There would be no excuse accepted for not having a winning season. So he'd better get it right.

Last edited:

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back