• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Scott Frost and the transfer portal

I think HCSF may be tipping us off that AM is gone after this year, simply with his comment that they'll be looking at the transfer portal coming up for "high impact" players. With AM gone, he knows neither Smothers nor Haarburg is ready to be the starter, and he knows he'll need to put someone in that slot that has some experience.
So, the question becomes, who would he have his eye on? The obvious one would be Rattler, but I'm interested in what everyone else thinks. Which likely transfer portal QB might be HCSF's target?

If AM is gone, I do not think SF is looking to the portal for a qb. That would be him admitting he hasn't recruited and/or developed another qb to take the position. I think we have very capable qb's already on site, to handle the offense.
I’m not sure I agree with this … a college coach’s two primary jobs are to develop to the best of their ability the talent they have on hand AND recruit talent to replace the talent they have on hand.

SF should ALWAYS be on the lookout for better talent regardless of the current circumstances and today’s transfer portal makes that much more doable. Which is why I’m still bothered by him not chasing after Joe Burrow when the kid wanted to leave tOSU.

Last edited:
If AM is gone, I do not think SF is looking to the portal for a qb. That would be him admitting he hasn't recruited and/or developed another qb to take the position. I think we have very capable qb's already on site, to handle the offense.
Concerning the QB's being capable, I'm curious, what do you base that conclusion on? It can't be game experience. And, I'm assuming you don't watch them practice. And, Frost significantly paired down the Offense and started an injured QB vs Minny instead of trying one of these QBs on the roster. Are you just assuming a big leap in ability between now and next fall?

CFH makes a great point here, the drop off between AM and the other two must be pretty significant for the above mentioned event to have happened. Back in the "good old days", if Jerry Tagge was injured(or just not playing well)the Bobfather had no hesitation replacing him with Van Brownson, and vice versa. Of course, in todays game, Van or Jerry would have hit the portal after the '69 season.
Anyone think Frost might be able to steal his old QB Milton away from an underperforming Florida State?

Here's another take on the issue: Frost knows his QBs aren't being developed and is planning to revamp the coaching staff in the offseason.

It's clear that Martinez hasn't really progressed as much as he could have. But maybe more indicting is that our backups haven't really been serviceable. Frost would rather play a banged up Martinez against Minnesota than rely on Smothers.

So if you're planning to axe Coach V, perhaps you plan on snagging a QB from the portal as well. I mean, if I was firing my QB coach, I'd probably look to find a high impact player because any new coach will need a season or two to really develop any kids on the roster.

Unless you can find a former P5 starter like Rattler, you grab the best QB the portal has available to you, and you have a true competition.

I’m not sure I agree with this … a college coach’s two primary jobs are to develop to the best of their ability the talent they have on hand AND recruit talent to replace the talent they have on hand.

SF should ALWAYS be on the lookout for better talent regardless of the current circumstances and today’s transfer portal makes that much more doable. Which is why I’m still bothered by him not chasing after Joe Burrow when the kid wanted to leave tOSU.
Okay, you're right here.

Concerning the QB's being capable, I'm curious, what do you base that conclusion on? It can't be game experience. And, I'm assuming you don't watch them practice. And, Frost significantly paired down the Offense and started an injured QB vs Minny instead of trying one of these QBs on the roster. Are you just assuming a big leap in ability between now and next fall?
You're right. I'm probably just drinking koolaid.

Haven't been impressed with him much. He's probably better than our backups, but just not a fan.
He has a cannon, and he is accurate. His cannon gets him in trouble, as he thinks he can get it in there anytime. Before he was benched, he’d won 12 in a row as the QB1. I don’t like him, but I’d take him in a heartbeat. He is better than anything NU has right now.

Rattler, is no way, coming to NU, unless he has a vendetta against OU and wants pay back versus them in Lincoln in 2022. That would be the only reason.
I agree with that. I don’t think any P5 QB who has started would come to NU next year. And rather than deciding not too look this past year for a backup, they probably looked and struck out.
On a slightly different point, Smothers doesn’t look that bad to me. agree tiny sample size. If AM was hurt (something always takes away half of our plays, you know) I don’t understand why we didn’t try one or two series with with Smothers and the discarded plays.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back