• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Scathing Article On Basketball Consultant and Bill Moos

Why do we keep thinking Navy SEALs are going to make our teams better?
Perhaps because they have experienced the greatest example of team and brotherhood that can be experienced and if our teams applied these principles it would benefit the program. Perhaps what they have learned about being on a team can be beneficial to others and they should also have some street cred which players may listen to. I dont know, maybe being on a team which depended on each other to live or die just might mean something. Perhaps the fact that many teams, at both the college and pro level have used them in the past to their benefit. Maybe because there is more to college sports then just winning or losing, the lessons that can be learned by young people are the basic reason we do it. Other then that you have a great point, why the hell are we doing this.

Perhaps because they have experienced the greatest example of team and brotherhood that can be experienced and if our teams applied these principles it would benefit the program. Perhaps what they have learned about being on a team can be beneficial to others and they should also have some street cred which players may listen to. I dont know, maybe being on a team which depended on each other to live or die just might mean something. Perhaps the fact that many teams, at both the college and pro level have used them in the past to their benefit. Maybe because there is more to college sports then just winning or losing, the lessons that can be learned by young people are the basic reason we do it. Other then that you have a great point, why the hell are we doing this.
This is why we can't have nice things. I think the point was "why do with think that the best example of teamwork could help our team (because our team is beyond help)". Not that the SEALs aren't good or something.

I’m not making excuses for Miles. Ultimately, he is the head coach and is responsible for the outcome of his tenure. That said, it’s a fact that Miles hasn’t been supported by the athletic departments for 3 years. That has got to change.

I’m not making excuses for Miles. Ultimately, he is the head coach and is responsible for the outcome of his tenure. That said, it’s a fact that Miles hasn’t been supported by the athletic departments for 3 years. That has got to change.
Eichorst should have fired him but he had no "equity"...last thing he was gonna do was fire/hire someone else at that point. He should have though.

Yes, there is a mental challenge; however, before that, there was a huge offensive game plan challenge. Palmer being allowed to shoot whenever and however has been part of this challenge. Perhaps, Miles just needed the mental consultation on how to keep that from happening.

If the consultation was set in place to fix the offense then let's talk about it.

It’s interesting that most are seemingly taking one side of the story and running with it, which is easy because that side is shouting from the rooftops and the other relatively silent.

If the difference between a coach absolutely sucking and getting blown out night in and night out is simply a navy seal....I submit that the coach is not all that good.

It’s interesting that most are seemingly taking one side of the story and running with it, which is easy because that side is shouting from the rooftops and the other relatively silent.

If the difference between a coach absolutely sucking and getting blown out night in and night out is simply a navy seal....I submit that the coach is not all that good.

I'm 100% behind your sentiments.

If this team's problems are mental ... and it took hiring a Navy SEAL to correct these issues ... but the mental issues then crept back after letting the SEAL go ... am I supposed to surmise that this team needs a Navy SEAL with them the entire season in order to be successful?!

Look, I respect Navy SEALs, but if a team needs them around as a regular part of the staff throughout the calendar year, there's some serious issues with the staff. Am I also supposed to surmise that Miles is incapable of creating a mentally strong team? Apparently that's the case. Who in the hell would ever hire a coach if his application included *needs Navy SEAL in order to be successful?!

As if I needed enough justification to wish Miles would have been fired long ago, this has that cup of frustration overflowing for me.

I'm 100% behind your sentiments.

If this team's problems are mental ... and it took hiring a Navy SEAL to correct these issues ... but the mental issues then crept back after letting the SEAL go ... am I supposed to surmise that this team needs a Navy SEAL with them the entire season in order to be successful?!

Look, I respect Navy SEALs, but if a team needs them around as a regular part of the staff throughout the calendar year, there's some serious issues with the staff. Am I also supposed to surmise that Miles is incapable of creating a mentally strong team? Apparently that's the case. Who in the hell would ever hire a coach if his application included *needs Navy SEAL in order to be successful?!

As if I needed enough justification to wish Miles would have been fired long ago, this has that cup of frustration overflowing for me.
Very well put.

I wanted him and his tweeter gone 3 years ago but a poster on this board kept arguing with me about it. So I watched last year and it looked as if things were turning around and I got a little more excited about this year. What happened? They flopped in true 'Miles Style'. He needs to be gone. Simple as that. (still wish it was 3 years ago)

And as far as Moos or a Navy Seal goes, most of us don't know what goes on behind closed doors so, I'm making no judgement on that issue. So far, from what I've seen, Moos has done a fine job and I'm still behind him 100%. As far as Navy Seal Team JR goes...say la v. (and yes, I know it's Chinese but I'm fine with it. :p)

I don’t see a need to teach a guy making $2million a year, with 20 years of head coaching experience, ‘Coaching 101’. Would Riggins be an asset? Probably, but if you want to know why Miles wasn’t ‘fully supported’ with every imaginable asset, take a look at how he ran his program. He’s a seat of the pants guy. Don’t get me wrong, he’s always hustling, but he’s also scrambling. Think of his numerous areas of weakness that go well beyond whatever Jack Riggins was supposed to fix:

-lack of assistant coach continuity
-complaints of ignoring assistant coach input
-not staffing according to development needs
-not recruiting local talent
-not interacting with local high school coaches
-poor recruiting from the high school ranks
-poor player development
-reaches on recruits
-reliance on transfers in
-high percent of transfers out
-poor substitution (lack of creating depth)
-inability to recruit true 5
-inability to create cohesion within a team
-poor fundamental development
-ineffective offensive planning
-not addressing the need of recruiting pure shooters

I'm sure I can add another 15 or 20 areas, but the point remains, he's just not a particularly good head coach, and while I'm all for a coach to continue to learn and develop, we didn't see many, of any of the areas I just pointed out addressed over his 7 years. I think both of the last two admins got to the point they said, 'show us what you got'. Give us a reason to think YOU are the long term answer. Think about that. We got cranky watching Riley founder after 2 years, yet we are now being told by a local fish wrap guy that it's been a failure because mean ol' Moos didn't let Riggins keep chatting with the guys? None of that early success could have been because it was a soft schedule, right? It was all because a guy who came in and talk about the same things we've all been taught since the first time we step on a court at a local Y. And seriously, what exactly is it they were deprived of? Was the message they received not still functional if it wasn't repeated weekly? Were players only going to believe in the structure being taught if it came from Riggins? What does that say about their faith in the coaches?

Look, I have thoroughly enjoyed my conversations with Mr. Riggins, and I have no doubt he can bring some value to a program, but this failure is absolutely NOT because of a lack of support by either of the administrations. This is solely on the narrow shoulders of someone who could not deliver with the tools they were given, and those are some pretty darn good tools, far better tools than many programs have who are regularly achieving far greater success.

-

Yes, there is a mental challenge; however, before that, there was a huge offensive game plan challenge. Palmer being allowed to shoot whenever and however has been part of this challenge. Perhaps, Miles just needed the mental consultation on how to keep that from happening.

If the consultation was set in place to fix the offense then let's talk about it.

Miles has so many deficiencies in his program, and 90% are purely his responsibility, this last little component is putting lipstick on a pig, and this article is a pathetic little hit piece that is designed to damage the AD, and reduce pressure on Miles. Tim had plenty of tools to work with, and more than enough support to put a far better product on the court. But by all means, let's put his 7 years of failures on the shoulders of Moos.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back