• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Saban retiring?!

There could be quite a few recruits and current players that jump into the portal with this news. Strange time for Saban to pull this move, isn’t it? Why did he wait until after NC game? He could have done it as soon as Bama lost to Mich. oh well. Since I have always disliked Bama, it won’t matter to me who their HC is. The worse he dies, the better.

There could be quite a few recruits and current players that jump into the portal with this news. Strange time for Saban to pull this move, isn’t it? Why did he wait until after NC game? He could have done it as soon as Bama lost to Mich. oh well. Since I have always disliked Bama, it won’t matter to me who their HC is. The worse he dies, the better.

Based on Saban’s career accomplishments during his time at Alabama, he earned the right to retire whenever he wanted.

Last edited:

Back in the day, a new coach taking over a legend had current players locked in and could do well (e.g. Solich) but the portal could change that. It will be interesting to see how many Alabama players enter the portal (and where they go.)
Well I saw Deion had his kids telling the Alabama players to head over to Colorado. I suppose a coach can't do anything like that, but a player, even if it's his kid, can do that.

Another difference between today and when Solich took over from TO. TO hand picked his replacement so players would be even more loyal to the new coach taking over. We won't see that here.

and yet both of them crossed paths on the field, we know how that went.

i never denied saban wasnt a great coach, just not the GOAT. that's all. ppl seem to appoint him that title with little regard to history or nuance of each coaches path or circumstances. these things matter. a good coach at a school with recruiting challenges gets fired after a few years, a good coach at a school with excellent recruiting advantages stays longer. failing to recognize that is baffling to me.
Osborne at his pinnacle vs. Saban at the start of his career isn't the best litmus test of who is better. I don't like to have to make the argument against Osborne, because I think he is often overlooked historically. Again, there are arguments in both directions you can make until you are blue in the face. Osborne is one of the few that has anything close to what Saban has accomplished over this 15 or so year stretch. Osborne's worst was definitely better than Saban's worst, Saban probably had the better pinnacle.

My guess is most will stay since at least at this point the assistants are still there. But many will move away.

I doubt they will go in one large group.

Visited one Alabama site. They are legitimately concerned. Rumors of having a bag in hand aren't materializing. I personally don't see any high profile guy going there unless its Kiffin and they aren't real excited about that. Not sure Kiffin is either. He will make 8.5 mill at mississippi and got another 650K in bonuses this year. Why move to a place you have to win 13-15 games a year. games a year.
Ego.

Lots of discussion about goats lately. I think the only fair way to think about that question is within a time period context. Many of the people making those judgments never wre around when players played with leather helmets and no face guard and went both ways on offense and defense and you got two points if you drop kicked your extra point. The ball was even different and it would be fun to watch a QB now try to throw the balls that were around when Sammy Baugh played.,

And most of all there was no TV then so no highlight reels and no commentators looking for something to say on their half hour show. etc.

Heck, most of the people on this board think Osborne coached a long time ago. They think names like Stagg and Yost and Leahy are just names pulled out of the phone book, and the number of wins a coach has when teams play 12 games a year should be compared straight up with number of wins when teams played 7 or 8 games a year.

I think Saban was the best coach compared with all other coaches that were coaching when he coached. I don't think there is a way to fairly go beyond that.

Osborne at his pinnacle vs. Saban at the start of his career isn't the best litmus test of who is better. I don't like to have to make the argument against Osborne, because I think he is often overlooked historically. Again, there are arguments in both directions you can make until you are blue in the face. Osborne is one of the few that has anything close to what Saban has accomplished over this 15 or so year stretch. Osborne's worst was definitely better than Saban's worst, Saban probably had the better pinnacle.
Had Tom not retired, I think NU keeps rollin*, as he had it figured out and his teams were stacked. 2-3 more NC’s. Hell, even without, it you count Tom’s near misses, 1978 (beat Mizzou, and you’re playing Penn State in the OB) 1981, 1982, 1983, 1993, 1996. With just a few breaks, a few calls go your way, a few inches, Tom could/should have at least 3-4 more. Biggest thing for me is, he did it at Nebraska. IMO, Saban has come the closest to Tom’s sustainability over a long haul. Barry Switzer is right there as well.

Had Tom not retired, I think NU keeps rollin*, as he had it figured out and his teams were stacked. 2-3 more NC’s. Hell, even without, it you count Tom’s near misses, 1978 (beat Mizzou, and you’re playing Penn State in the OB) 1981, 1982, 1983, 1993, 1996. With just a few breaks, a few calls go your way, a few inches, Tom could/should have at least 3-4 more. Biggest thing for me is, he did it at Nebraska. IMO, Saban has come the closest to Tom’s sustainability over a long haul. Barry Switzer is right there as well.
Yep, I agree that if Tom finishes the job in a handful of those years, it is probably a different conversation. Of course, his legacy would have looked a lot different without 1994-97.

Doing it at Nebraska is certainly more difficult than doing it in a lot of other places. He hit the ground running and never had a dip. He went out a champion and didn't try to hold on way past his prime like Paterno or Bowden.

I hope whoever they get their AD fires him first bump in the road so they don't gravitate into mediocrity.

Last edited:
Visited one Alabama site. They are legitimately concerned. Rumors of having a bag in hand aren't materializing. I personally don't see any high profile guy going there unless its Kiffin and they aren't real excited about that. Not sure Kiffin is either. He will make 8.5 mill at mississippi and got another 650K in bonuses this year. Why move to a place you have to win 13-15 games a year. games a year.
Kiffin is one of the few situationally that would make sense, simply because he has probably maximized what he can do at Ole Miss. Ole Miss isn't a place that is going to become a powerhouse in football. Kiffin has complained/hinted at lack of fan support, NIL, etc.

I think they view Kiffin as leaving trouble making 17-year old kid alone for the weekend at home. Could everything be okay? Sure. But, you could also see him getting the cops called. Kiffin is able to clown around about some things at Ole Miss and people don't seem to care because it is Ole Miss. When you are at a place like Bama, you have to carry yourself differently.

I think he might be the best coach who would be willing to take the risk. I know that ego and hubris make a lot of these coaches think that they can go somewhere and be as successful or even more successful than the previous guy. I just think Alabama post-Saban is going to have expectations like we've never seen. If someone comes in next year and goes 9-3 or 10-2 and is a bubble playoff team, do fans mutiny?

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back