• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Saban retiring?!

Visited one Alabama site. They are legitimately concerned. Rumors of having a bag in hand aren't materializing. I personally don't see any high profile guy going there unless its Kiffin and they aren't real excited about that. Not sure Kiffin is either. He will make 8.5 mill at mississippi and got another 650K in bonuses this year. Why move to a place you have to win 13-15 games a year. games a year.

Visited one Alabama site. They are legitimately concerned. Rumors of having a bag in hand aren't materializing. I personally don't see any high profile guy going there unless its Kiffin and they aren't real excited about that. Not sure Kiffin is either. He will make 8.5 mill at mississippi and got another 650K in bonuses this year. Why move to a place you have to win 13-15 games a year. games a year.

I thought they were going to get that other Aflac duck guy to come in and take them down to a new level?

Never know. If you have to hire a coach with a big enough ego to take the job maybe Deion is in play :Rolf:

What makes a great coach?
Do you have to be great from the get-go or do you have to accomplish some things others have not done?
already answered this in another post.
Coach K from Duke ... is he a great coach? What about his stint at Army? Not a lot of "great" things accomplished there.
dont follow basketball cant speak to that.

Saban has more accomplishments than just about any other CFB coach. To me the "greatness" of Saban was his impact of players, coaches, his consistency, his standards ... Alabama wasn't great when Saban signed on ... Saban was there 16 years, the 16 years prior Alabama had 5 coaches. Saban won 189 games (out of 216), those 5 won 113 games (out of 219).
i dont dispute his accomplishments.

His resume prior to Alabama got him the Alabama job, its a blue blood school. Could someone have replicated what he accomplished? Maybe, maybe not. To me the greatness of Saban was his ability to win games, big games, when he wasn't supposed to win. To me, he's won more of those kind of games than he lost - example; this year's Georgia game. UGA is/was still arguably the better team - but Saban in a one game critical situation is/was the great equalizer. Very Osborne-esque in my opinion.
To sabans credit, he learned how to consistently field teams that were talented and was a good motivator at not getting complacent. those are characteristics of a great coach. GOAT is a subjective term that only the beholder can bestow, you seem to think he is, i dont. yet you keep badgering me about not thinking he is. i stated my opinion, like it or not, its mine and i havn't seen anything to change it.

If I were Alabama I would take a swing at Mike Tomlin. Not sure if he wants to coach in college, but it seems Steeler fans are getting tired of him, even though he has never had a losing record. Mike Vrabel may be another guy to look at from NFL.

From college ranks, I think Norvell or Ryan Day would be the top picks to make a run at. Not sure Bama fans could complain on any of the above 4.
Ohio State fans complain about Ryan Day and you don't think Alabama fans would?

I think Alabama will do just fine. There are some really big shoes to fill yet there are some really good coaches out that that given the talent( if they stay) will help continue the program on the path they are

Or will it be another Nebraska when TO stepped down and have been fighting to become relevant again.

First coach comes in and goes 9-3 or 8-4 the search starts over. The new coach comes in and is on the hot seat before the first game.

It’s going to be very interesting. As we watch a dynasty either continue with few hiccups or dissolve into an Auburn in the SEC

Who steps up to the plate and accepts the challenge. I’d give a hard look at lanning

He’s a players coach.

Back in the day, a new coach taking over a legend had current players locked in and could do well (e.g. Solich) but the portal could change that. It will be interesting to see how many Alabama players enter the portal (and where they go.)

Hell, I’m 57 and can’t imagine the grind that would be, especially in season. 72 and filthy rich? Why keep going? You aren’t getting out of here alive. Father Time is undefeated.
I hear ya. I don't think I could have done it at any point in my life tbh. With that said, these guys are just different. It seems that grind is truly about the only thing that makes most of these guys happy.

I read somewhere that Saban has 22 of the new players enrolled at Alabama already. What's the rule for any one of those guys who might want out?

I hear ya. I don't think I could have done it at any point in my life tbh. With that said, these guys are just different. It seems that grind is truly about the only thing that makes most of these guys happy.
Few become great. Most get sidetracked by the wealth. I bet Dumbo Fisher is still laughing his ass off.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back