• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Saban retiring?!

Michigan State Spartans (Big Ten Conference) (1995–1999)
1995Michigan State6–5–14–3–15thL Independence
1996Michigan State6–65–35thL Sun
1997Michigan State7–54–46thL Aloha
1998Michigan State6–64–46th
1999Michigan State9–2[n 2]6–2T–2ndFlorida Citrus[n 2]9[n 2]9[n 2]
Michigan State:34–24–123–16–1

this will always stick with me about saban, he had one good season and jumped ship to LSU. his track record before alabama is checkered, and why i have my opinion.
In fairness.......has he learned how to get better?

he was a good coach who leverage fertile recruiting territory to his advantage and understood how to win. greatest coach? Not in my book. when you look at what TO did at nebraska compared to before he arrived both as the OC and HC, we owe everything to him. all 5 NC were OC'd by him. No coach was able to do more with less than TO. i still think there is a clear separation between him and other coaches.
Osborne is one of the few that is even in the conversation with someone like Saban. If Tom had won a few more titles he'd probably be brought up more often by casual fans.

Tom still has him by a pretty good chunk on win percentage (.804 to .836). But, if you want to go on that alone, Urban Meyer has a better win percentage than both of them (.853). Osborne never finished with less than 9 wins at Nebraska, but if I was playing devil's advocate, neither did Bo Pelini.

The problem with these GOAT debates (and part of the reason they are so easy to have) is that it is difficult to judge people across eras. Osborne was the best from his era, Saban the best from his. You can make a lot of arguments that poke holes about the other. You can say that college football was less competitive back in the day or mention how you could stockpile players in a way you can't today. You could also say that today is less about development and more about being able to sell future NFL talent on your program. You could say seven titles to three. You could also argue that if Nebraska been playing in a playoff era, they would have had more shots at a title. You could say Nebraska would have benefited from playing the top teams on neutral fields indoors, rather than playing Miami at home in the humidity.

My point, is that these debates are often really stupid and do nothing to advance anything. If Nebraska had a genie and could have replaced Tom Osborne with Saban would they? Would Alabama make the trade? Neither probably would. Which should tell you enough about how great both coaches were.

In fairness.......has he learned how to get better?
yes, you can see that he progressed thru his career from MSU to LSU to Bama. I dont count Toledo since it was 1 year so no real way to tell if that trajectory would be better.

Last edited:
Osborne was the best from his era, Saban the best from his.
and yet both of them crossed paths on the field, we know how that went.

i never denied saban wasnt a great coach, just not the GOAT. that's all. ppl seem to appoint him that title with little regard to history or nuance of each coaches path or circumstances. these things matter. a good coach at a school with recruiting challenges gets fired after a few years, a good coach at a school with excellent recruiting advantages stays longer. failing to recognize that is baffling to me.

2 seasons were fireable, 2 passable and one NC. he did ok there but would they put up with that today? fired orgeron with a better winning percentage and a NC.

Brian kelly is likely on his last year there. hes got a worse winning percentage then Orgeron. the only thing that may save him is saban retiring. then again kelly may still be gone if he doesnt beat both USC and UCLA in the non-con schedule (who thought that was a good idea to schedule? LOL)....
What makes a great coach?
Do you have to be great from the get-go or do you have to accomplish some things others have not done?

Coach K from Duke ... is he a great coach? What about his stint at Army? Not a lot of "great" things accomplished there.

Saban has more accomplishments than just about any other CFB coach. To me the "greatness" of Saban was his impact of players, coaches, his consistency, his standards ... Alabama wasn't great when Saban signed on ... Saban was there 16 years, the 16 years prior Alabama had 5 coaches. Saban won 189 games (out of 216), those 5 won 113 games (out of 219).

His resume prior to Alabama got him the Alabama job, its a blue blood school. Could someone have replicated what he accomplished? Maybe, maybe not. To me the greatness of Saban was his ability to win games, big games, when he wasn't supposed to win. To me, he's won more of those kind of games than he lost - example; this year's Georgia game. UGA is/was still arguably the better team - but Saban in a one game critical situation is/was the great equalizer. Very Osborne-esque in my opinion.

Last edited:
He was born in Birmingham.
He played at Alabama. Winning a NC in 1992.
He started his coaching career there as a GA and then TE/WR coach for 5 years
He has 2 national championships under his belt as a head coach.

In 16 seasons as a head coach, he has 1 losing season.
He is 170-43 over those 16 seasons. 19 of those 43 losses occurred in his 1st 4 seasons.
He has won 10 or more games in 12 of the last 13 seasons.

Not sure the fans are rational. The guy is 54 years old - young relatively speaking.

Swinney would be a far better choice than Dan Lanning or Kiffin or Sarkisian or other people suggested.
Bama fans crack me up

I definitely agree with you.

I was thinking, who has a big enough ego to follow in Saban's footsteps while also knowing he would be going to a much better situation with better resources, players, program, etc.

Makes total sense to me.
Sark isn’t going anywhere now that TExas is going to SEC. With the announcement of Sabans retirement he now has players interested in signing on with the horns. Couple highly recruited receivers are already in the Mix

Sark would love to take over the SEC with Texas

Last edited:

Sark isn’t going anywhere now that TExas is going to SEC. With the announcement of Savana retirement he now has players interested in signing on with the horns. Couple highly recruited receivers are already in the Mix

Sark would love to take over the SEC with Texas
I agree with you. Sark is in a great spot and has done a fantastic job turning that garbage program around (yes, I hate them).

Kiffin, on the other hand will always play the red-headed stepchild of the SEC at Ole Miss. Going to Alabama suits his ego and the toys he'd be given to build/maintain a juggernaut.

edit: Didn't think about what @The Big Red Lebowski mentioned with regard to burned bridges with Kiffin. The folks in Tuscaloosa better be careful here.

Last edited:
I agree with you. Sark is in a great spot and has done a great job turning that garbage program around (yes, I hate them).

Kiffin, on the other hand will always play the red-headed stepchild of the SEC at Ole Miss. Going to Alabama suits his ego and the toys he'd be given to build/maintain a juggernaut.

Nailed it.

If I were Alabama I would take a swing at Mike Tomlin. Not sure if he wants to coach in college, but it seems Steeler fans are getting tired of him, even though he has never had a losing record. Mike Vrabel may be another guy to look at from NFL.

From college ranks, I think Norvell or Ryan Day would be the top picks to make a run at. Not sure Bama fans could complain on any of the above 4.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back