• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Rutledge out as ST Analyst

Obviously either another analyst is on their way in, or delegation of special teams duties to a coach on the staff. The latter seems more likely to me, but purely guessing there.
Exactly ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ Was this guy really even here???? I seriously could've done a similar job virtually??!!

Last edited:

Not sure if anyone has mentioned this yet or not, but Mitch Sherman posted a very interesting interview with Rutledge on the Athletic's website. Read it if you're able.

But we didn’t have a spot for him so it’s irrelevant. He took a full time job because that’s what he wanted.
Exactly! So why does our local paper write about it? I really don't see any other mediocre programs doing this....i only think this riles up the masses...

It's loyalty. We used to think that that was a positive virtue in Nebraska. We're not like other programs, and it hasn't worked well when we've tried that model. Devaney and Osborne valued loyalty, and it worked. Little else has.

I don't think Frost is "paralyzed with inaction." I think that he isn't as panicked as most of those criticizing him.
I also think Frost does have a plan, and this is part of the implementation. Would have loved to see JR work out as I remember seeing that the big jumps in ST at past stops happened in year 2.

Not sure if anyone has mentioned this yet or not, but Mitch Sherman posted a very interesting interview with Rutledge on the Athletic's website. Read it if you're able.
link? never mind. looks like it's a subscriber site. thanks for the direction tho.

Last edited:
Will you copy and paste in on here somewhere so we can know what you're talking about?

Will you copy and paste in on here somewhere so we can know what you're talking about?
Can't do that as it's an infringement on their copyrights. HM would be in trouble, therefore the poster gets in trouble.

Just like with academic citations, it's okay to summarize but not to quote beyond brief quotations.

So, what happens if we start winning? Will it be because the staff is learning, the kids they want are mostly here and playing well, and then, will they be hired away then, like all the sudden they are darn good assistants all the sudden?
It isnt an on off switch here, and maybe Im misinterpreting you wrong, but it seems like you dont think any of our assistants arent any good because they havnt been hired away?
Assistant coaches are seldom hired away from losing programs for obvious reasons. The only proof of really good assistant coaches will be the teams starts playing winning football. There's always exceptions but I wouldn't be trying to hire away coaches from a losing program imo.

not seeing that, what are you looking at? year 1 vs year 2 has always been an improvement according to the stats.
At Mizzou, I would consider this a massive failure year 2 considering their year 1 with him:

The 2016 Missouri special teams ranked 37th nationally. In 2017, Mizzou struggled, finishing 107th.

Nebraska hires Jonathan Rutledge as Husker football's special teams analyst | Football | starherald.com

Other stats say he went from 43rd in year 1 (2016) to 87th (2017)
2016 COLLEGE FOOTBALL SPECIAL TEAMS FEI RATINGS | Football Outsiders
2017 COLLEGE FOOTBALL SPECIAL TEAMS FEI RATINGS | Football Outsiders

Pretty much was not good at all at Mizzou year 2, which was one of two spots he held an analyst role before Nebraska. So he was 50/50 thus my comment of "not sure there's definitive stats he gets better year 2".

Last edited:

Gonna give some info but feel free to remember I made this statement in April or May when we hired Rutledge:

Ya, i'll be interested to see how that goes. IMO you really need someone manning that spot who takes responsibility rather than 10 coaches pooling together to get it done and accountability is somewhat lacking. Again though, the good news is that you really have zero place to go but up. If anyone here on HuskerMax would have taken the job, we would definitely show improvement this year and could tout it on our resume.

Boy did I underestimate how bad it could get with special teams. Or I overestimated Rutledge and HM.

Anyway, Frost was mulling over a couple options, one was to give the spot to a guy already on staff and backfill the analyst role but I think with how our guys came in and no one getting the title that one kind of fell on its face. I'm expecting/hoping that we are moving a full-time guy to an analyst role and hiring a full-time special teams coach who may or may not have positional duties.

I'll give the token disclaimer of "things are fluid and can certainly change" but that's where I expect it to go.

Gonna give some info but feel free to remember I made this statement in April or May when we hired Rutledge:

Boy did I underestimate how bad it could get with special teams. Or I overestimated Rutledge and HM.

Anyway, Frost was mulling over a couple options, one was to give the spot to a guy already on staff and backfill the analyst role but I think with how our guys came in and no one getting the title that one kind of fell on its face. I'm expecting/hoping that we are moving a full-time guy to an analyst role and hiring a full-time special teams coach who may or may not have positional duties.

I'll give the token disclaimer of "things are fluid and can certainly change" but that's where I expect it to go.
Out of curiosity....who would you move from full time to analyst?

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back