• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Rutledge out as ST Analyst

Well, that's a start at least. Need to find someone that can kick it out of the endzone to help with that aspect. Has to be someone that can do better than what NU had last year. Maybe hold open tryouts?

I'd like to see us bring in an actual experienced ST coach from someplace (I don't care if it's D2) who knows what the heck they are doing and can be there to actually coach from the sideline. Not sure Frost can do that given how many coaching slots are tied up now. But what I would hate to see is just handing it off to someone else on the staff as another duty and they really don't have any level of expertise.

Our ST play has been laughable. It can't continue like that.

I would hope an assistant coach will be specifically charged with coaching special teams. It was a embarrassing glaring disaster imo because ST's were so lousy. Should have been squared away by the first of second year of SF's tenure imo.

I'd like to see us bring in an actual experienced ST coach from someplace (I don't care if it's D2) who knows what the heck they are doing and can be there to actually coach from the sideline. Not sure Frost can do that given how many coaching slots are tied up now. But what I would hate to see is just handing it off to someone else on the staff as another duty and they really don't have any level of expertise.

Our ST play has been laughable. It can't continue like that.
Who do we fire to make room?

Who do we fire to make room?

Well, that's the problem. Maybe Frost just can't because he's married to Verdu as QB coach and having a separate OC . . . but Frost running the offense (and with all that, the offense can't get out of it's own way).

Seems to me you could find an OC who can also be the QB coach and then you have Frost. But he's never going to do that. I can't imagine that shuffling the deck chairs is going to have better results, though--do any of the other coaches have ST expertise of any kind?

Last edited:

Well, that's the problem. Maybe Frost just can't because he's married to Verdu as QB coach and having a separate OC . . . but Frost running the offense (and with all that, the offense can't get out of it's own way).

Seems to me you could find an OC who can also be the QB coach and then you have Frost. But he's never going to do that. I can't imagine that shuffling the deck chairs is going to have better results, though--do any of the other coaches have ST expertise of any kind?
That statement is what really bothers me about Frost to be honest. Feel the same way in that he's almost paralyzed with inaction when it comes to making staff changes regardless of poor results. I watch other top programs and assisstant coaches are shuffled in and out all the time.

Hope to see an actual Special Teams “coach” implemented.

This is appears to be another “low hanging fruit” area (like reducing/eliminating unforced errors) where some simple changes/improvements can yield positive impact on game outcomes.
Agree there. Wisconsin, Iowa, and Minnesota all have dedicated special teams coaches that have no other duties. Who are we chasing in our division? Ohio State and Alabama have a position coach as a full-time special teams coordinator.

The blueprint is there. Hell, Snyder who we wanted as an analyst went to USC as a full-time assistant for special teams and they were #1 in the country this year. Funny how that works.

Curious how this plays out. This is what i've been hinting at for some movement. But I actually like the idea of an analyst, you just have to have a full-time guy that has some skin in the game.

Having an analyst, or who it was, wasn't the problem in my opinion.
Meaning it was about the implementation (or lack thereof), right? It can't be that difficult to find ways to block for our kick returners. We've done it in the past. Having a "full-time guy with some skin in the game" would surely help to make that a reality.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back