• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Rutledge out as ST Analyst

Then I'd suggest you consider your own industry, because we all know that LEO have substantial break in periods. I've got a couple in my family, and an old college buddy at the federal level, and based on numerous stories over beers, the latitude they give people early is substantial. Let me give you a little insight: in the business world, when you have a position you need filled, you have to decide if you are looking for experience, which costs, or someone who can grow into the job, which is usually cheaper. I'll add to that, especially in this day and age, being a fit for the 'culture' is another critical piece, and it's a huge factor for this coach and this staff. With all the jobs out there in the world, few people are willing to come to work everyday and basically despise the folks they have to work with.

We wanted this guy as our coach, and most who weren't blinded by a miracle season, felt there would be some growing pains. We've seen those pains, and we've also seen some maturation, maybe not as fast as you'd like, but only someone blind or stubborn can't see some pretty specific areas of improvement on this team. I've built enough sales teams to know that I don't tear them down just because I miss my sales goals. First I look at why they were missed; product issues, market changes, system failures, personnel needs, and then we put together a plan to improve on the stuff we fell short on. Even if we miss a second time, it's highly unlikely we'd do any major changes.
Break in period? Really? Here's how the real world works for cops! Once sworn in a LEO that makes a critical error their career and/or life can be destroyed or perhaps even over! Suspended, fired, prosecuted or perhaps dead is what happens. According to many experts police are supposed to be perfect and never make mistakes faced with split second life or death decisions. Police today aren't given the luxury of mistakes and it's a majjor reason why many are leaving the profession. You get it right or there's usually hell to pay. There are very few mulligans in our line of work!

Nebraska's had some improvement but not nearly enough imo. I didn't say to fire Frost and no problem giving him 4 bites of the apple. I see many major successful programs making assistant changes all the time. When you have excellent assistant coaches they are quickly hired away!

If after 4 seasons we're still wallowing at the bottom of the conference sporting back to back to back to back losing seasons I'd say it's time to make some changes. Guess I'm simply not as forgiving as some people but that's just me.

I'd like to see us bring in an actual experienced ST coach from someplace (I don't care if it's D2) who knows what the heck they are doing and can be there to actually coach from the sideline. Not sure Frost can do that given how many coaching slots are tied up now. But what I would hate to see is just handing it off to someone else on the staff as another duty and they really don't have any level of expertise.

Our ST play has been laughable. It can't continue like that.
Worst part of this is...now there is a local "what if" article playing the game if we were to outbid USC and hire Sean Snyder for Special Teams coach.....this is what rock bottom feels like.....playing the "what if" games by writing articles with potential players or coaches and how they could've panned out at DONU.....being pathetic hurts...

My thoughts were...Why not have Rutledge remain in his role while giving Dawson special teams. Move Chins to help out at OLB (he may be doing that to some degree already, right?). This gives Rutledge what he wants (someone direct he can work with), while also assigning accountability to a specific coach.

But maybe there was more to it than that (i.e., personality clashes, etc).
From Sam's article in the OWH:

In a message to The World-Herald, Rutledge said he and Frost's philosophies "didn't quite align."

Worst part of this is...now there is a local "what if" article playing the game if we were to outbid USC and hire Sean Snyder for Special Teams coach.....this is what rock bottom feels like.....playing the "what if" games by writing articles with potential players or coaches and how they could've panned out at DONU.....being pathetic hurts...
But we didn’t have a spot for him so it’s irrelevant. He took a full time job because that’s what he wanted.

Break in period? Really? Here's how the real world works for cops! Once sworn in a LEO that makes a critical error their career and/or life can be destroyed or perhaps even over! Suspended, fired, prosecuted or perhaps dead is what happens. According to many experts police are supposed to be perfect and never make mistakes faced with split second life or death decisions. Police today aren't given the luxury of mistakes and it's a majjor reason why many are leaving the profession. You get it right or there's usually hell to pay. There are very few mulligans in our line of work!

Nebraska's had some improvement but not nearly enough imo. I didn't say to fire Frost and no problem giving him 4 bites of the apple. I see many major successful programs making assistant changes all the time. When you have excellent assistant coaches they are quickly hired away!

If after 4 seasons we're still wallowing at the bottom of the conference sporting back to back to back to back losing seasons I'd say it's time to make some changes. Guess I'm simply not as forgiving as some people but that's just me.
So, what happens if we start winning? Will it be because the staff is learning, the kids they want are mostly here and playing well, and then, will they be hired away then, like all the sudden they are darn good assistants all the sudden?
It isnt an on off switch here, and maybe Im misinterpreting you wrong, but it seems like you dont think any of our assistants arent any good because they havnt been hired away?

Correct, analyst can have essentially zero interaction with staff and players during practices or games. They can relay some info to a GA that gets passed on to our coaches, but can't have a headset on or anything like that during games and can't instruct during practice. What Rutledge would do is create gameplan and then probably just give it to the whole staff. I'm not trying to act like no one taught anything during practice, but no one was solely responsible.

Again, the blueprint is there already. Have a full-time assistant as your special teams coordinator. If you can have that be someone's sole responsibility like Wisky, Iowa, and others, even better. At least until you get them where they need to be. Because right now they are hot garbage.

Is Bruce Read still available?

It doesn't make any sense to me to not have a full-time special teams coach, especially since the NCAA allowed assistant coaching staffs to grow by one (from 9 to 10) starting in 2018.

And clearly what we are doing now isn't working.

Obviously either another analyst is on their way in, or delegation of special teams duties to a coach on the staff. The latter seems more likely to me, but purely guessing there.
If you notice - the Alabama, Clemson and Ohio States of the world put many of their very best players on special teams. This is why they are very good at special teams. Why put 2nd and 3rd string players or average walk on players out there. This isn't rocket science!!

If you notice - the Alabama, Clemson and Ohio States of the world put many of their very best players on special teams. This is why they are very good at special teams. Why put 2nd and 3rd string players or average walk on players out there. This isn't rocket science!!

There was another fairly competent coach around here that did that as well. I'm trying to think of his name.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back