• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Riley's Vision at Nebraska Coming Together

Status
Not open for further replies.

From the front page: http://247sports.com/Article/Nebras...ing-at-a-high-level-under-Mike-Riley-52341311

Riley is going toe-to-toe with top programs and actually winning some recruiting battles. We really haven't seen that on a consistent basis since Osborne.

Those observations are accurate and demonstrate some real momentum. Riley and his staff seem to be exceptional recruiters, especially at the skill positions. I especially respect the way HCMR treats his players, the media and fans. In sum, he is sharp, caring coach who I am pulling for.

However...
  1. The practices consistently lack pace and live contact
  2. Development of offensive lineman seems lacking
  3. The OL telegraphs run/pass selection with their stances
  4. The OL doesn't run block with aggression
Better play at QB will mask these issues in some, but not all games. A lackluster run game may result in more losses than Husker fans seem to be contemplating. I would consider a seven-win season to be a success, but only if the staff makes a real commitment to a more physical brand of rushing. It seems HCMR is a true "pro-guy", who considers the run game either incidental or merely as a set up for the pass game. But in college football, quarterbacks rarely have the skills that are necessary to rely solely on the forward pass.

HCMR has adjusted in the past, and my hope is that he will ultimately make a greater commitment to a more vulgar brand of line play.

Those observations are accurate and demonstrate some real momentum. Riley and his staff seem to be exceptional recruiters, especially at the skill positions. I especially respect the way HCMR treats his players, the media and fans. In sum, he is sharp, caring coach who I am pulling for.

However...
Better play at QB will mask these issues in some, but not all games. A lackluster run game may result in more losses than Husker fans seem to be contemplating. I would consider a seven-win season to be a success, but only if the staff makes a real commitment to a more physical brand of rushing. It seems HCMR is a true "pro-guy", who considers the run game either incidental or merely as a set up for the pass game. But in college football, quarterbacks rarely have the skills that are necessary to rely solely on the forward pass.

HCMR has adjusted in the past, and my hope is that he will ultimately make a greater commitment to a more vulgar brand of line play.

Wow, you remind me of Col Mustard. You get right to the point and you don't pull any punches. I am hoping that MR was serious when he said he wanted a top 3 rushing attack (permanently).

It goes without saying that good rushing attack will help the passing attack. Yes, we would all like to see NU have a fierce offensive line. If Coach Cavanaugh can't recruit to it and develop it, then we may soon be asking....

What ever happened to Coach Banker and Coach Cavanaugh?

:Confused:

Last edited:

However...

Cheese and Rice. Some of you people simply have a one track mind. News flash....Mike Riley is NEVER going to run the offense that you want. Period. End of story. And no matter the record you will never be happy about it.

Wow, you remind me of Col Mustard. You get right to the point and you don't pull any punches. I am hoping that MR was serious when he said he wanted a top 3 rushing attack (permanently).

It goes without saying that good rushing attack will help the passing attack. Yes, we would all like to see NU have a fierce offensive line. If Coach Cavanaugh can't recruit to it and develop it, then we may soon be asking....

What ever happened to Coach Banker and Coach Cavanaugh?

:Confused:

Who? Who is asking this right now?

I see you are still trying to make a direct comparison between NU and the Beavers. What MR did at OSU with the inability to get quality talent in the two deep is winning at a high level.

C
OSU if no tougher than Kansas State or Ohio yet the results much worse than Snyder or Frank. MR had 2 losing seasons at OSU. Left and failed in the NFL. In between stints at OSU, Dennis Erickson got it going at OSU and MR kept momentum going for awhile. But his last 5 years were horrible. Throw in his first year at NE and that's about as bad of a 6 year period of coaching from anyone.

Recruiting resources sure seem to be helping. I mean if past history means everything and resources don't really matter, why aren't Riley's classes at NU ranked around #50?

Riley won at a high level by Oregon St. standards. His 6 bowl wins are more than all OSU coaches in history combined. If I were throwing shade his way, I'd say it's clear he got a little too comfortable in Corvalis. When there is very little pressure to win, it's easy to stick with loyal, long time assistants even when they aren't getting it done. No such luxury in Lincoln.
When were NU's classes around 50? To date MR is about 4 spots ahead of Bo per the recruiting services and about 4 spots behind Callahan. He's a better recruiter than Bo and not as good as BC. Time will tell but nothing from his past indicates he will succeed here. Unlike Callahan he was willing to dump his DC but hasn't touched his offense despite poor production. Blame it on Tommy but what's the excuse if he doesn't win this year?

That first paragraph essentially dismisses the "hope" and "experiment" arguments. Better recruiting resources at NU=better recruiting results. (folks who only check the recruiting board when someone decommits dont know the current class is rated 9th) Over the next couple of years we'll see if the recruiting results translate to the field.
BC had a kick ass class going in 2007 and then the season happened. Lots of parallels between 2007 and 2017, though I give Riley credit for (finally) canning Banker.

BC had a kick ass class going in 2007 and then the season happened. Lots of parallels between 2007 and 2017, though I give Riley credit for (finally) canning Banker.
BC's classes were the basis for any "success" that Bo had. BC couldn't coach, but found a lot of talent for Bo to use. MR can coach, and he's finding even more talent than BC did...things are looking great!

When were NU's classes around 50? To date MR is about 4 spots ahead of Bo per the recruiting services and about 4 spots behind Callahan. He's a better recruiter than Bo and not as good as BC. Time will tell but nothing from his past indicates he will succeed here. Unlike Callahan he was willing to dump his DC but hasn't touched his offense despite poor production. Blame it on Tommy but what's the excuse if he doesn't win this year?
LOL...can't wait to see BRL take your reply apart, should be fun!

Last edited:
OSU if no tougher than Kansas State or Ohio yet the results much worse than Snyder or Frank. MR had 2 losing seasons at OSU. Left and failed in the NFL. In between stints at OSU, Dennis Erickson got it going at OSU and MR kept momentum going for awhile. But his last 5 years were horrible. Throw in his first year at NE and that's about as bad of a 6 year period of coaching from anyone.

Interesting selections for comparison. Success at Ohio is hardly comparable to a Pac-12 team, apples to oranges at best. KSU is a good comparison but definitely an outlier compared to most teams in a position of OSU. KSU has tremedous backing and popularity with facilities that were far better than OSU when Riley was there. Snyder is a great coach but I wouldn't say there is a significant difference from how well Riley is regarded in the coaching circle. People in the know hold Riley in very high esteem.

Ohio is not in a P5 conference so that is a fail. I am very familiar with the San Diego situation considering I live here and have friends in the organization and that dumpster fire is not on MR. Again you are comparing apples to oranges in order to grind your axe and are failing at it. Also it was MR that started to turn OSU around and Erickson built on what MR was establishing.

C

Last edited:

OSU if no tougher than Kansas State or Ohio yet the results much worse than Snyder or Frank.

I'll grant you MR has yet to outperform a guy already in the HOF. If that's the standard for you, enjoy the wait. Ohio? A MAC school that recruits Kearney High is no different than a PAC 12 school? C'mon. Along with their star studded conference lineup his year, they play Hampton, Purdue, Kansas, and UMass. That's exactly like seeing Oregon, USC, ucla, ASU, etc every year with crappy facilities and U of Nike up the road.

I'm not sure if you don't understand the nuances of roster management and how both coaches you mention botched it or if you just willfully ignore it. I know you don't visit the recruiting board much when things are rolling, but we are sitting on a top 10 class right now AND filling spots of need.

Interesting selections for comparison. Success at Ohio is hardly comparable to a Pac-12 team, apples to oranges at best. KSU is a good comparison but definitely an outlier compared to most teams in a position of OSU. KSU has tremedous backing and popularity with facilities that were far better than OSU when Riley was there. Snyder is a great coach but I wouldn't say there is a significant difference from how well Riley is regarded in the coaching circle. People in the know hold Riley in very high esteem.
You mean to tell me that this wasn't a state-of-the-art locker room?

YLSGDBQOZHWROOK.20130908064908_48.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back