• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Riley's Vision at Nebraska Coming Together

Status
Not open for further replies.

When were NU's classes around 50? To date MR is about 4 spots ahead of Bo per the recruiting services and about 4 spots behind Callahan. He's a better recruiter than Bo and not as good as BC. Time will tell but nothing from his past indicates he will succeed here. Unlike Callahan he was willing to dump his DC but hasn't touched his offense despite poor production. Blame it on Tommy but what's the excuse if he doesn't win this year?

Let's revisit the post I responded to:

Anytime you hire a longtime coach who has never won at a high level and hope by giving him all sorts of resources he suddenly figures how to win at a high level that would be deemed an experiment.

Riley has never recruited at a high level either. His average class ranking while at Oregon St. was around #50. So far at NU, he's had two top 25 classes and his 3rd class is shaping up to his best yet. My question is, how did that happen? How is Riley - a career average recruiter - recruiting well above average at Nebraska?

While you are it, maybe you can explain to me how Frank Solich won 75% of his games at NU but is winning at only a 57% clip at Ohio?

OSU if no tougher than Kansas State or Ohio yet the results much worse than Snyder or Frank. MR had 2 losing seasons at OSU. Left and failed in the NFL. In between stints at OSU, Dennis Erickson got it going at OSU and MR kept momentum going for awhile. But his last 5 years were horrible. Throw in his first year at NE and that's about as bad of a 6 year period of coaching from anyone.

So you want to draw a comparison to a Hall of Fame coach, recognized as one of the great stories in college football? And you are going to suggest that the PAC is no different than the MAC? You fallen into Bizarro World, SH.

Cheese and Rice. Some of you people simply have a one track mind. News flash....Mike Riley is NEVER going to run the offense that you want. Period. End of story. And no matter the record you will never be happy about it.

It's a wonder to me why some of these fellas aren't pulling 7-figure salaries coaching a P5 team. They have solved college football. All you have to do is "commit to a physical running game" and then you just start counting the championships.

Now that the cat is out of the bag, I'm thinking about a second career as a college head coach myself. Hey coach, why didn't that counter work? Guys, guys..how many times do I have to tell you? Be more physical! Oh, and also...commit to it!

Last edited:

It's a wonder to me why some of these fellas aren't pulling 7-figure salaries coaching a P5 team. They have solved college football. All you have to do is "commit to a physical running game" and then you just start counting the championships.

Now that the cat is out of the bag, I'm thinking about a second career as a college head coach myself. Hey coach, why didn't that counter work? Guys, guys..how many times do I have to tell you? Be more physical! Oh, and also...commit to it!
POTY! Some of these people seem to know just how easy it is to build, manage, and operate a D1 football program. The have all the right answers. Problem is, most of them are only actually associated with a program in any sort of way as a message board poster, but they think they know. :Rolf:

Last edited:
Riley has never recruited at a high level either. His average class ranking while at Oregon St. was around #50.

Riley has always recruited at a high level. He just hasn't closed well, for a variety of reasons.

Riley is going toe-to-toe with top programs and actually winning some recruiting battles.

Riley went toe-to-toe with top programs and actually won some recruiting battles while he was at Oregon State.

Good post. Its great to know that we no longer need a solid running game enabled by a physical offensive line. Pass the ball and stop the pass I always say. If we pass the ball 100% of the time we should be unstoppable.

:nod:

Last edited:
Good post. Its great to know that we no longer need a solid running game enabled by a physical offensive line. Pass the ball and stop the pass I always say. If we pass the ball 100% of the time we should be unstoppable.

:nod:
Nice strawman!

I'm surprised you didn't actually quote the prior comments...since you seem to have created a reply that is nearly word for word.

Riley has always recruited at a high level. He just hasn't closed well, for a variety of reasons.

Riley went toe-to-toe with top programs and actually won some recruiting battles while he was at Oregon State.

I'm not sure you can say he recruited at a high level. It would be interesting the number of actual visits he made to 5* players as opposed to 3*. I don't really consider sending out the standard form letters, or making a courtesy call actually 'recruiting'. I assume he recognized those players he had the most likely shot at and focused his resources on those more than say the top 100 type.

I'm not sure you can say he recruited at a high level.
Sure you can. Riley recruited at the highest level he possibly could while he was at Oregon State. To suggest otherwise is a bit insulting. Mike Riley is no slacker.

That effort at Oregon State resulted in classes ranked around #50. And that effort at Nebraska has resulted in classes ranked around #25. To disregard that huge improvement is doing a diservice to Mike Riley.

I'm not sure you can say he recruited at a high level. It would be interesting the number of actual visits he made to 5* players as opposed to 3*. I don't really consider sending out the standard form letters, or making a courtesy call actually 'recruiting'. I assume he recognized those players he had the most likely shot at and focused his resources on those more than say the top 100 type.
Sonny is just playing word games. Everyone knows what BRL meant.

Closing is all that matters. By your logic, any coach who offers the same kids as Alabama is recruiting at a high level even if he doesn't sign a single one.

Riley generally landed one or two 4-star kids per class. About 80% of his recruits were Rivals 5.5/5.6 guys and the competition was schools like Wazu, San Diego St. and Arizona.

USC is the undisputed flagship program in the Pac 12. In his first 2 classes at Nebraska, Riley beat out USC for four, 4-star recruits right in USC's own back yard. I just browsed the Rivals database. During Riley's tenure at OSU, there were 3 recruits who had both USC and OSU offers - Lamar Herron in 2004, Marcus Wheaton in 2008 and Isaac Seumalo in 2011. Seumalo (6.0 on Rivals, .9873 on 247) was the highest rated recruit Riley ever landed. He had the slight advantage that Seumalo is from Corvalis.

In short, Riley won more recruiting battles with USC in his first 2 years at NU than he did at Oregon St. in his entire 14 year tenure.

OSU if no tougher than Kansas State or Ohio yet the results much worse than Snyder or Frank. MR had 2 losing seasons at OSU. Left and failed in the NFL. In between stints at OSU, Dennis Erickson got it going at OSU and MR kept momentum going for awhile. But his last 5 years were horrible. Throw in his first year at NE and that's about as bad of a 6 year period of coaching from anyone.

Perspective.

Prior to Riley, Oregon State had five head coaches between 1965 and 1996 -- all with career losing records at Oregon State.

97-245-7. That was the W-L-T total from 1965 to 1996.

Riley went 93-80 at OSU. That's nearly double the winning percentage of the 32 seasons prior to his arrival. In fact, he won nearly as many games in 14 seasons at OSU than the 32 seasons prior to Riley.

FWIW, Dennis Erickson had one very good season at OSU. 2000, when they went 11-1. The other three seasons, he lost either 5 or 6 games, which was right at Riley's average. Riley's 2012 season (you mentioned his last five being horrible), OSU finished ranked 19/20 in the two polls. Only two Nebraska teams in the past 15 years have ranked higher.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back