• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Riley's Vision at Nebraska Coming Together

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why do we have to go through this every spring and summer with you guys? ;)

Give it some time. Riley is a good recruiter, he's doing fine. But declaring him the best since Osborne based on seven 2018 commits, when it's really only four of them who are driving our high recruiting ranking, and one of those is in-state and the other three are at specific positions where Riley tends to crush it (WR and CB, same positions that housed four of our six top recruits from 2017), doesn't make sense. Give it some time.

I'd say we have been crushing it at WR, CB AND QB. But Coach Parrella landed 3 DT's for the last cycle. Coach Donte Williams is new and he has already landed a top 5 CB. Coach Bob Elliot and Coach Diaco are new and they might knock it out of the ball park in recruiting. With 3 new coaches, our recruiting could certainly go beyond just top WRs, CBs, and QBs.

But yes, it is too early to know if the 2018 UNL class is going to crack the top 20.

If anyone is going to challenge UNL for the top recruiting classes in the West, IMO, Minnesota could become the one because PJ Fleck is very big on Jimmy and Joes, and he's got a personality that can get young folks excited.

I'd like to see everybody in the West step up their recruiting. Might be necessary if we are going to stay competitive with the East.

Last edited:

Those guys didn't have the support staff that programs like NU have now. And the assistants do the heavy lifting.

I know that. I was just playing. I am sure MR spends less time on the road than Bear Bryant and Bobby Bowden did. Plus, MR loves people he probably enjoys recruiting more than the average bear. For Riley, recruiting might be the best part of the HCing gig and it might be the primary thing that would motivate him to keep coaching until he is 80.

If MR starts getting Jimmy's and Joes enough to consistently challenge for conference and national championships, he may never volunteer to step down.

Yep, I think you are right. With MR at the helm, UNL should become the king of recruiting in the West. MR's recruiting program is very impressive. And for me to say PJ Fleck will offer MR a "stiff" challenge is not the best way to put it. Instead I should have said "the best" challenge.

If UNL is going to be the best, then somebody has to be #2. I think PJ Fleck at Minnesota could become #2 ahead of Wisconsin and the rest. I don't think it is a stretch to say that.

Last edited:
What doesn't make sense is telling fans to temper their enthusiasm and give it some time. Unchecked enthusiasm and a complete lack of patience is how fans roll. You don't have to go through anything with us. If it bothers you that people get excited about recruits, just stay out of recruiting threads. You are totally free to give it time and then come back and enlighten us 2 or 3 years down the road.
I'm not really expecting anyone to follow my advice. Anyways my problem here isn't about enthusiasm for Riley, it's more about the comparison vs. past coaches that I think is inaccurate. And this has happened before, people talk about how we have more recruits earlier than ever before, the comparisons never ended up really panning out in the end.

I'm not really expecting anyone to follow my advice. Anyways my problem here isn't about enthusiasm for Riley, it's more about the comparison vs. past coaches that I think is inaccurate. And this has happened before, people talk about how we have more recruits earlier than ever before, the comparisons never ended up really panning out in the end.

Hey, if you don't drink the Kool-Aid whenever its offered, you're wrong!

:Lol:

Last edited:

What doesn't make sense is telling fans to temper their enthusiasm and give it some time. Unchecked enthusiasm and a complete lack of patience is how fans roll. You don't have to go through anything with us. If it bothers you that people get excited about recruits, just stay out of recruiting threads. You are totally free to give it time and then come back and enlighten us 2 or 3 years down the road.
Yeah, well some of us will come back, if only to temper the sort of enthusiasm that predicts championships based on a top ten class in April.

:Bananalazy: Sorry for getting excited about one of the, if not the, largest recruiting weekends in program history.
That is patently a fantasy on your part. And can't be verified for at least another three years. I kind of think the day we committed Tommie Frazier was likely the best recruiting weekend EVER!

That is patently a fantasy on your part. And can't be verified for at least another three years. I kind of think the day we committed Tommie Frazier was likely the best recruiting weekend EVER!
3-4s and a high 3 outdo any individual player. Even as great as T Fraz. Anybody have any idea how many committed tat same weekend as TFraz.

No its not, it is arguably one of if not the biggest recruiting weekend ever for Nebraska and I challenge you to prove otherwise (bottom line its your opinion against mine or his). Also the bold borders on a Personal Attack. You need to dial it back again.

What happens to any of these commits in three years was not the point of what he was trying to say.

RR

Last edited:

Then virtually every recruiting expert had the same fantasy. It wasn't just about the commits, but the visitors, the social media, etc. The thread is about Ryley's vision. If that vision ends in success, who knows (I don't have the benefit of TFraz hindsight here), but id challenge anyone to post a better visitor list from any other time at NU. Mayyybbbeeee an equal, but not likely better.

I think MR & staff will probably comprise the best recruiting team in the West, but I think PJ Fleck & staff will present a stiff challenge.

Wisconsin will surely be good each year as well.

PJ Fleck is a gimmick coach..imo

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back