• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Rhuling the Transfer Portal

I’d disagree on the Bo aspect. We had decent ranked recruiting classes during his tenure. Bo takes a lot of heat for the belief that he hated recruiting. That wasn’t his context. He hated the re-recruiting process in that even after they committed you had to babysit their commitment up until signing day.

Bo said one of the smartest things I ever heard in recruiting rules. Get rid of national sighting day and let them sign whenever they want. Then maybe they can rid many of the student athletes, the coaches and the fans of some of the fall recruiting circus.
Lets compare Bos to MRs and BCs first. Keeping in mind Nebraska was still more brand worthy then as well.
Bo did no better than SF and barely above Riley.
Give Rhule some time here, he's not even done with his first class which is above Bo already.
At no time did Bo bring in 30 odd players, and certainly not his first short recruiting year.

Last edited:

Lets compare Bos to MRs and BCs first. Keeping in mind Nebraska was still more brand worthy then as well.
Give Rhule some time here, he's not even done with his first class which is above Bo already.
At no time did Bo bring in 30 odd players, and certainly not his first short recruiting year.
To be fair, Bo didn't have to. There was quite a bit of talent on that team.

MR is taking over a team that needs a complete enema. A psychologically battered team that needs a huge influx of new bodies and minds

I didn’t compare him to Rhule. In fact I didn’t compare Bo to any other coach. I responded to your comment on Bo wrapping it up too quickly and a board perception that Bo hated recruiting. As far as brand recognition BC and Riley both got to follow Nebraska programs consistently winning and ranked. Bo and Rhule both stepped into disasters.

To be fair, Bo didn't have to. There was quite a bit of talent on that team.

MR is taking over a team that needs a complete enema. A psychologically battered team that needs a huge influx of new bodies and minds

joker-enema.gif

I didn’t compare him to Rhule. In fact I didn’t compare Bo to any other coach. I responded to your comment on Bo wrapping it up too quickly and a board perception that Bo hated recruiting. As far as brand recognition BC and Riley both got to follow Nebraska programs consistently winning and ranked. Bo and Rhule both stepped into disasters.
OK, if he didnt hate it, he wasnt very good at it.

Because I was comparing him to both BC and Rhule, and it appears quite better so far with Rhule and was with BC

Oh and comparing the personnel to what Bo inherited vs Rhule isnt close.
What Bo gave us is what SF gave us as far as potential in recruiting, Iowa level.
That was Bos record, similar to KF, averaged out even after BCs recruits left.

Last edited:
To be fair, Callahan recruited some talent! But he did the unthinkable and went west coast on us. That doomed him from the beginning. Transfer portal would have possibly helped back then as well. But Callahan recruited pretty well.

The difference hopefully is in the coaching they get once guy’s are here. Look at what Joseph and Busch accomplished after Frost was fired and they had to get the players to buy into their plans in short order. Time will tell, but ready to give this crew some time.

No offense to anyone, but I remember folks being just as excited for Bo's, and Riley's, recruiting classes. I was one of the few who criticized them at times, saying they weren't good enough, but of course I was called a "Negative Nancy" and a "Debbie Downer" and told that "maybe you should find a different team to cheer" :Lol:

Wow. A thread comparing Callahan to Bo to Riley to Frost to Rule.... 1st time I've ever seen one!! ...and in a Transfer Portal thread to boot!

Yeah, before we get too crazy on accolades for Coach Rhule, let's see how we look against the run in the first 2-3 games. Then I can start getting excited. We have been able to stop the run since Suh was in school.

No offense to anyone, but I remember folks being just as excited for Bo's, and Riley's, recruiting classes. I was one of the few who criticized them at times, saying they weren't good enough, but of course I was called a "Negative Nancy" and a "Debbie Downer" and told that "maybe you should find a different team to cheer" :Lol:
Do you need a hug?

Bo didn't inherit a complete mess, just a mess on defense. So he neglected the offense to focus on the defense, and then we winded up with an inept offense as bad as the inept defense he took over when he got here. He could never get both, and the closest he had to both, we still lost in uncompetitive fashion to the better teams in the Big10.

Mike Riley had good classes, He had calibraska... but it didn't pan out very well.

Frost on the other hand, just didn't develop his players. And even recruited players with questionable work ethic or questional integrity, all of which he stated he wouldn't do. He chased the star rankings..

Rhule on the other hand, knows exactly what he wants, how he wants them to look, and isn't infactuated by star rankings.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back