• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Rhuling the Transfer Portal

Flat Water

Recruit
2 Year Member
I'm not drinking the Kool-Aid just yet, but I am pleasantly surprised by how well this coaching staff appears to be managing the transfer portal. While there are always surprises in recruiting and we don't know for sure how the guys transferring to Nebraska will work out, I'm feeling pretty good about the guys we got. On the flip side, we lost Hausmann to Michigan (which still stings), but otherwise we generally only lost guys who were not likely to contribute much (with the possible exception of DeColdest Crawford and to a lesser extent Brant Banks). We may not recognize the team in 2023, but I suspect we will be better. There is definitely reason for (moderate) optimism!

I agree. I still laugh that some said Rhule would not work out because he would not know how to work the xfer portal. They said because it came about while he was in Carolina. Seems foolish now. He played the portal like a fiddle.
I'm still bummed that Frost was a total bust, and it was clear that he was way in over his head. Rhule actually seems to know the game and how it's played. I think we are finally in good hands again.

I'm still bummed that Frost was a total bust, and it was clear that he was way in over his head. Rhule actually seems to know the game and how it's played. I think we are finally in good hands again.
I dont think SF and staff worked as hard. I think SF may have sent his staff a message over a few different players, Wandale comes to mind, giving up on him shows too much respect for x's n o's not enough for jimmys n joes imo.
Great schemes are one thing, not the only thing.

Riley concentrated too much in Cali imo and Bo wrapped it up too early and sometimes just took local kids, a look that looked like for appeasement only at times.

We are finally firing on all eight first time since Callahan imo

Last edited:

Screenshot_20230124-084910~2.png

I still look at the transfer portal as the "scratch and dent" isle. Not saying you can't get a bargin but you gotta wonder what happened to the stuff that's there.
I am the same way, I think of it as a garage sale. Sometimes you are looking at someone's junk, other times its something that they didn't get around to using. Definitely helps that Rhule knows a coach on the Georgia staff to help evaluate some of their transfers.

I agree. I still laugh that some said Rhule would not work out because he would not know how to work the xfer portal. They said because it came about while he was in Carolina. Seems foolish now. He played the portal like a fiddle.

I didn't see anyone saying that it wouldn't work, but I did see people say that things have changed dramatically in the last 3 years so it was considered an unknown. Hard not to argue with that.

Last edited:
According to 247, Colorado (42) and Nebraska (38) lead the nation in total number of new commitments (HS recruit + transfer). And NU is apparently almost 15 over the scholarship limit. Spring will be busy and interesting.

Last edited:

According to 247, Colorado (42) and Nebraska (37) lead the nation in total number of new commitments (HS recruit + transfer). And NU is apparently almost 15 over the scholarship limit. Spring will be busy and interesting.
Yep.... should be alot of competition and alot of transfers when it's all said and done

A year ago folks were getting jacked up for back up long snappers from Georgetown, lol.

This year we have 7 SEC transfers. Gotta see wins, but definitely an improvement.
Then again, we brought in two transfers from Alabama last year. One contributed a bit as a rotation guy on the D-Line, and the other rarely if ever saw the field.

No knock on the staff, just noting that transfers who were backups on top SEC teams aren't always surefire solutions. Tre Palmer, of course, worked out pretty well.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back